Quantcast

Overseas ordering, wiggle, chainreact, etc.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Anybody with experience ordering from co's in the UK? They have great deals on cranks, but I don't know whether that will be eliminated with customs and duties/tarriffs. Any info?

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
ordered some tires and parts from CRC earlier this year. No issues at all I think it took like 6 days total for my stuff to reach the east coast.

Ringer

Monkey
Mar 4, 2008
ordered from wiggle sunday night, and had wheels and cranks in california by thursday. recommend them big time

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
doesnt the price include all of that? I paid exactly the amount on the receipt nothing more. All i had to do was sign for it at my door.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
doesnt the price include all of that? I paid exactly the amount on the receipt nothing more. All i had to do was sign for it at my door.
yeah, the price w/ shipping includes everything.

i got a killer price on my Atlas FR cranks from CR...cheaper than QBP's prices

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
No customs issues...only problem was the USPS randomly changing their post office open hours.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Monday I order it is delivered Sat.

I do a 250-500 dollar order every other month no charge for shipping life is good.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
i've ordered from chain reaction multiple times, and i highly recommend them. their prices on shimano components are insanely low! there are no customs fees/delays, but keep in mind that most credit cards charge a fee for overseas transactions. it's usually about 3%, and it's not that much, but the principle is annoying. capital one is the only credit card that i know of that does not charge this fee.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
but keep in mind that most credit cards charge a fee for overseas transactions. it's usually about 3%, and it's not that much, but the principle is annoying. capital one is the only credit card that i know of that does not charge this fee.
ive never been charged for overseas transactions on any of my cards...and the dont include capital one

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
ive never been charged for overseas transactions on any of my cards...and the dont include capital one
lucky you. do you use mastercard? i think discover cards don't charge a fee either.

upon further investigation, some cards are a bit more forthright about overseas fees and give you a clear item line that depicts the amount charged, while others are a tad sneakier and work the fee into the exchange rate that they give you.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
lucky you. do you use mastercard? i think discover cards don't charge a fee either.
yeah, all the transactions have been with my mastercards. CR has unreal pricing and as much as id like to support a good ol' boy, American e-tailer, money is money....especially if they have it cheaper than QBP or BTI

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Couldnt find a Pike Air UTurn anywhere - CRC had it - ordered it Friday morning shipped via UPS -- came Monday afternoon. Delivered at less $ than some people want for used.

Paypal.

Success on all fronts!

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Visa doesn't charge me a fee.

Small packages have shipped Royal Mail and are dropped at my door. Larger ones Ive had to sign for.

illflip

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Newark, NJ
+1 for chainreaction. ordered tuesday rcvd here in nj on friday. i did have to sign for the package though so keep that in mind.
no weird fees or taxes

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
no they aren't. usually 20-40% more than here in germany...

slx cranks crc: ~130eur
here: ~90eur :banana:
i'm based in the u.s., not europe. saint cranks and rear derailleurs run about 300 u.s. dollars and 185 u.s. dollars respectively at the average u.s. online retailer. you can get them for about 200 u.s. and 122 u.s. at crc. substantial discount.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
i'm based in the u.s., not europe. saint cranks and rear derailleurs run about 300 u.s. dollars and 185 u.s. dollars respectively at the average u.s. online retailer. you can get them for about 200 u.s. and 122 u.s. at crc. substantial discount.
He's saying Shimano stuff is even cheaper ordering from Germany than the UK, both being less than the US.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
He's saying Shimano stuff is even cheaper ordering from Germany than the UK, both being less than the US.
i understand. i assumed (maybe i'm wrong) that the op is from the u.s., hence i felt the german comparison to be slightly irrelevant, unless there is a german equivalent to crc where he/she can get things at those prices.

edit: and if such a german site exists, hook us up with the link!

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yep, US. Shimano prices seem ludicrous, everything else is priced pretty fairly if not just competitively with the US. Still, 70 bucks off a saint derailleur and 85 off a crank is so worth it. And 50 off brakes. Geeze...

Old_Sckool

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
Hey Andrew,

CRC is great, as long as you don't have a problem. Just be careful and get your order PERFECT. Don't order anything that isn't in stock and watch out for special requirements.

I placed a BIG order with them, one of the items being spokes. You have to make a notation of the spoke lengths that you want in the notes section. I forgot to do that. My credit card was charged immediately, but my order went into limbo since they didn't know what length spokes I wanted. They made NO effort to contact me and did not respond to close to 20 emails from me and did not return any phone calls. After waiting month, I sent them an email stating that I was gonna request a charge back from my credit card company if they did not reply. I got a reply the very next day, from a guy in the wheel dept, who seemed to have no knowledge of my last email (yeah, right). Said he was simply following up on the order.

Moral is, if you have to actually to talk to a real person, you're screwed.

Wiggle has always been great. Normally get my order in less then a week.

BTW. Did you get a new bike yet? How much did you get for your Brooklyn?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Ive ordered from CRC a lot and no problems. I like that they carry unique stuff. Try finding Minion 2.5 SINGLE PLYs in the US. They build great wheelsets for cheap too. I ordered a set of HOPE/DT SWISS 4.2 wheels and they are going strong on the wifes bike. I paid $350 delivered and the LBS wanted around $850 for the SAME wheelset.

Like OLDSCHOOL said... make sure you order exactly what you want. You dont want to send anything back.

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I am preparing to order some wheels from them.

Even with ₤50 for shipping, still over 150 less than the best online price I could compare to.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
i understand. i assumed (maybe i'm wrong) that the op is from the u.s., hence i felt the german comparison to be slightly irrelevant, unless there is a german equivalent to crc where he/she can get things at those prices.

edit: and if such a german site exists, hook us up with the link!
these are the most well know shops here and ship also to the us (but check the shipping costs!).

http://www.bike-mailorder.de/shop/index.php?language=en paypal support
http://www.mountainbikes.net/mtbikes/orderinfo.cfm?cid=090415103329&lc=2&ws=1
http://www.bike-components.de/shop/language/en
http://bikeparts-online.de/bpo_new/site_frameset_en.php?page=home paypal support

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Are you sure you can't come up with a custom wheel build that exceeds $218USD? That's the threshold for free shipping.
Free shipping by a company thats notorious for very poor international service - Parcel Force - ( in the UK? good! Outside - not so good.)

but - understood. the wheel build I am looking at is ₤238 before shipping (823's on Hope pro II 150/12 & 20mm)

Last edited:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I just got my Pro II/5.1 wheels from CRC. A bit under-tensioned compared to how I usually build wheels, but cheaper than I could get just parts for, much less the hassle of building them. The shipping company seemed to do a fine job.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
MAKE SURE that you check your credit card statements for the next few weeks as well as you paypal account for very small charges, ie, .99 to $1.99

There have been a rash of scams coming from the CC system from CRC and a few other companies. Still not sure if it is a CRC and a few other vendors doings or if it is just a processing company that is compromising info but keep a sharp eye on your statements.

Not telling you to not buy from there, just be smart.

I am buying some Schwalbes from CRC right now!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
ordered up a pair of brakes, cranks and a derailleur.

The brakes have opposite levers, but it's cheaper to buy brass olives and swap the lines than it is to buy the correct pair stateside.

The cranks are coming with a 42t ring and a bash. That combo ended up being $7 more expensive than 165/83mm cranks alone, which they were out of stock on.

Way cool...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Thank you for your order.

As you are a new customer to us, we must confirm that we are sending the
order to the registered card holder. This is necessary due to to an increase in internet card fraud and we take the issue of card security very seriously.

Can you Fax or e-mail an official document such as a recent utility bill or credit card statement (with the purchase information removed if you wish) or another form of ID that clearly shows the link between the card details and your address.

Fax Number +44 (0) 2893 324868

If you are unable to fax your proof of identification and prefer to use email, please do not send the attachment as a .zip file since, for security reasons, these will be rejected by our email server.

We must ship your order to this address.

Once you have supplied these details and we are satisfied that the order is genuine we will immediately ship your order.

We would like to apologise for the extra inconvenience to yourself but I'm
sure you can understand we need to take steps to protect both yourself and
Chain Reaction Cycles from potential card fraud.

If you have any question feel free to e-mail me or phone on ++ 44 (0) 2893 345504.

Regards
Gale
I recieved this email today. Is it legit? Has anybody else recieved this? It's from a chainreactioncycles.com email address, but otherwise it's not incredibly distinctive.

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
I recieved this email today. Is it legit? Has anybody else recieved this? It's from a chainreactioncycles.com email address, but otherwise it's not incredibly distinctive.
I did not get that message when I made my first CRC order 6 or 7 months ago.

I just received my most recent order last week, which included a pair of saint m800 brakes which I paid just $64 each for (complete minus rotors and adapters). Amazing.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hmm....thanks for that. The fax no. matches the one listed on their website, but I'm still not eager to send my liscense or bill or something.

On top of this stupidity, bank of america charged me $20 for the overseas transaction fee. FU guys! I was hoping I'd get away with it, since I have a card with the biggest bank in america....

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Hmm....thanks for that. The fax no. matches the one listed on their website, but I'm still not eager to send my liscense or bill or something.

On top of this stupidity, bank of america charged me $20 for the overseas transaction fee. FU guys! I was hoping I'd get away with it, since I have a card with the biggest bank in america....
Bank of America is THE WORST.

ride4fun

Monkey
May 23, 2008
Long Island
I ordered a few things from Wiggle - like a Dainese suit for $200. I couldn't believe the price, but that's what it was and i got it before the season started. since then, I ordered more things from them - much cheaper then the states. I highly recommend that company to anyone