Quantcast

packing-the-bike-for-the-plane advice

how should I pack the bike for the airplane?

• remove fork, fit everything into Ironcase

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • keep fork on; use cardboard case

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • something else I don't yet know about

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
So I'm packing up the bike for a trip back East. I's a Morewood Izimu with a 66SL.

I have a Ironcase bike travel case with wheels.

I can:

A. Remove the fork and see if everything fits in the case (measurements show it to be right on the edge)

B. Keep the fork on and use a cardboard box

C. Some other option I haven't thought of.

Pic of baby : http://www.ridemonkey.com/mountain-bike-photos/showphoto.php/photo/3757

Thanks!
-sunny

Nov 9, 2005
a cardobard box with a lot of that packing popcorn would do the trick. Thats a really nice bike so i would definentaly pack it well, dont want it gettin damaged.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
SBDownhillRacer said:
a cardobard box with a lot of that packing popcorn would do the trick. Thats a really nice bike so i would definentaly pack it well, dont want it gettin damaged.
Packing popcorn??? In a bike box??

Do I know you? Why do you hate me?

j/k. I know what you mean. :)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Styrofoam packing chips won't do a thing in a bike box, please ignore that advice. The bike will get absolutely destroyed.

I use an iron case and remove the fork and wheels from my Dh bike. Everything gets wrapped in bubble wrap and then placed on the foam, then the second foam piece, then wheels and the 3rd foam piece. Iron cases rule.

If you go cardboard, I highly suggest you double the large sides with parts from another box. Then wrap bike and fork in bubble wrap, remove derrailleur and zip tie to INSIDE of seatstay, wrap bars in bubble wrap and attach to top tube with zip ties (over tape/bubble wrap to avoid scratches). Remove pedals and pack in your luggage in a ziplock bag.

Wrap both dropouts heavily in bubble wrap and packing tape to pad them. If you have a removeable dropout, remove it and throw it in your carry on.

May seem like overkill, but I have shipped bikes dozens of times, and besides the iron case, this is the only way to get it where it is going in one piece.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I would advise shipping it through a shipping company if you don't have a case...Airlines beat the hell out of stuff (worse than any shipping company).

If you absolutely must go airline, follow tranny's advice. In addition, fill the box with styrofoam peanuts once you're done. Actually, overfill, and squish them in...You don't want anything to be able to move. Also protects (somewhat) against puncturing and box crushing.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
blue said:
I would advise shipping it through a shipping company if you don't have a case...Airlines beat the hell out of stuff (worse than any shipping company).

If you absolutely must go airline, follow tranny's advice. In addition, fill the box with styrofoam peanuts once you're done. Actually, overfill, and squish them in...You don't want anything to be able to move. Also protects (somewhat) against puncturing and box crushing.
Naw, all they do is sink to the bottom and make a mess. Seriously, double box it, bubble wrap it tightly and it will be fine. DH bikes barely fit in boxes as it is.

Tricos are the only way to roll in my opinion.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
I actually going to whistler this summer and was wondering would the Dakine be a good shipping bag/box for my bike, what else do you guys recommend

roberts

Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
It's a DH bike. The abuse on the hill is infinitely worse than shipping.

I take off the fork, wheels and pedals. Then, I cram it in a standard bike box and ship it Fed Ex.

Fed Ex is the cheapest, and I have never had any problems - no padding, wrapping, etc.

I ship this way twice a year for 4 years.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
roberts said:

I take off the fork, wheels and pedals. Then, I cram it in a standard bike box and ship it Fed Ex.

Fed Ex is the cheapest, and I have never had any problems - no padding, wrapping, etc.

I ship this way twice a year for 4 years.
Your money down the tubes, not ours. If you think a Dh run can in any way compete with UPS, you are delusional.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Transcend said:
Without wheels or a fork, i believe it will fit in the large trico. I'm not sure ANY dh bike will fit in a small trico.
what is this LARGE and SMALL you speak of? I thought they only came in one size?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
sunny said:
what is this LARGE and SMALL you speak of? I thought they only came in one size?
They used to come in 2 sizes. From a quick look around, it appears that they now only come in one. They used to have one that was slightly larger in every dimension in order to carry 2 MTBs.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Transcend,

So I'm thinking this is more or less the rough outline of step 1?
http://www.ridemonkey.com/mountain-bike-photos/showphoto.php/photo/3760

I don't have any bubble wrap, so I'll use strips of T-shirt till I get to work tomorrow, then do the job properly.

Oh, and yes, I'll zip tie that chain into place.

Questions:
1. I inserted the rear axel (don't know if you can see it). The iron case came with a bolt, though. Would that one (with the 2 pairs of wingnuts) be better/ preferable?

2. Can't think of a second question right now, but I'm sure I'll come up with something tomorrow.

Thanks for your help! :-)

-sunny

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Yup. I always use my axle. Now wrap the fork and bars heavily, and attach them with zip ties to the frame so that stuff isn't bouncing around in there. Then the other sheet of foam on top, and then your wheels. You may need to shift it around to get the wheels in.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
roberts said:
Do you drop your bike onto large boulders from 20 feet in the air, frameside first? You're a ****ing idiot.

About the peanuts thing, to prevent settling you have to overfill the box, otherwise they don't do any good.

You could be like that dude on here and just fill the box with insulation foam

:rofl:

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Transcend said:
Yup. I always use my axle. Now wrap the fork and bars heavily, and attach them with zip ties to the frame so that stuff isn't bouncing around in there. Then the other sheet of foam on top, and then your wheels. You may need to shift it around to get the wheels in.
Will do.

Are you saying you always use your own axle (e.g., the Sun Ringlé axle) or the Trico "axle" ?

Also, I'm really nervous about sitting on this case so that it closes completely. Will that rear triangle be OK? The axle alone will keep it from being compressed or stressed?

I have closed the box, just not completely all-the-way-tight closed the box.

RPG

Monkey
Jun 14, 2004
All over New England
What about the cases you can purchase? I'm also going to Whistler and was looking to buy a case. How's the Dakine? What other cases are out there to pack a way a DH bike?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Transcend said:
Styrofoam packing chips won't do a thing in a bike box, please ignore that advice. The bike will get absolutely destroyed.

I use an iron case and remove the fork and wheels from my Dh bike. Everything gets wrapped in bubble wrap and then placed on the foam, then the second foam piece, then wheels and the 3rd foam piece. Iron cases rule.

If you go cardboard, I highly suggest you double the large sides with parts from another box. Then wrap bike and fork in bubble wrap, remove derrailleur and zip tie to INSIDE of seatstay, wrap bars in bubble wrap and attach to top tube with zip ties (over tape/bubble wrap to avoid scratches). Remove pedals and pack in your luggage in a ziplock bag.

Wrap both dropouts heavily in bubble wrap and packing tape to pad them. If you have a removeable dropout, remove it and throw it in your carry on.

May seem like overkill, but I have shipped bikes dozens of times, and besides the iron case, this is the only way to get it where it is going in one piece.
The man knows his stuff...

I just began flying my bike places and most will gasp at my meathod but i used a soft bag, that had compartments for wheels/seat/pedals and that sort of thing...It got there in perfect shape...

Any horror stories with this meathod?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
blue said:
Do you drop your bike onto large boulders from 20 feet in the air, frameside first? You're a ****ing idiot.

About the peanuts thing, to prevent settling you have to overfill the box, otherwise they don't do any good.

You could be like that dude on here and just fill the box with insulation foam

:rofl:
i second the :rofl:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
RPG said:
What about the cases you can purchase? I'm also going to Whistler and was looking to buy a case. How's the Dakine? What other cases are out there to pack a way a DH bike?
that dakine case is so juicy....

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Do what Transcend said.

Lately, I've been getting BMX bike boxes. I take the fork off and stick it in the bottom of the box, my SPD shoes, tires, helmet and frame/cranks/deraillure into the box. Wheels go in a regular old wheelbag. Then I stick my pants, jersey, undies, socks, toothbrush and tools in my backpack, and it's my carry-on. Boom. The BMX/frame box is so small that no one expects it to be a bike. I got on my last flight with no questions asked, but that was in Europe, where life is easier.

Trying to get a full size bike box on a bus/subway/taxi is nearly impossible, the wheelbag/tiny box/backpack method works super well.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
If I don't "need" the bike immediately, I have no trouble shipping it. I did that last year.

But in this case, I'm going from San Diego to NJ on May 18th, racing the 21st and the 28th, then returning to San Diego on Tuesday and racing that weekend. It's got to go by air.

My NORBA card is good for 2 free bike passes on United Airlines, so my bike goes for free. And the flight from SAN to PHL was only $300.

Can't beat a baw-gin like dat (now dat's what I'm tawkin' about).

Thanks for all the advice :)

PS. BTW, the fork came off a lot easier than expected, and I even remember where all the bolts go! I'm making progress!!

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
What ever you do, just don't send it either UPS or DHL. I have had both of those companies now "misplace" bikes, normally killing my trip. I have to say DHL did a better job of finding their **** up, but none the less, they both suck.

I wrap mine with beach towels. Yes it adds weight, but they can withstand a hell of a lot of abuse, and I just reuse them when I am getting home.

I have also heard from Hacksaw the idea of using a big hockey bag to fly my bikes with. As funds are low right now, I haven't been able to test this plan out right yet. However, if the measurements are close, I think I can fit my Nomad or my Morewood in a big hockey bag with the fork inside. Then I would take the wheels in a box and claim them as my second piece of baggage. This should work with South West, but again this is just a theory.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Even in an Ironcase pack it very tightly with bubble wrap. You don't want anything to be able to move. I have had airlines break so many things it is unbelievable.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Check each airline for the weights and dimensions allowed. 100lbs seems to be the max for most, but some have it at 80lbs. I have seen L+W+H anywhere from 62" to 115".

trico case = 33lbs
crateworks = 22lbs
Dakine = 16lbs
cardboard = ???

add a 40-50lb FR/DH bike and you are getting close to the max fast!

soutwest lets you check 3 bags without extra charges. most other airlines are 2 (including the bike box).

i would suggest packing smaller/heavy parts (like tools) in the bag with your clothes, and loading your pads and riding clothes in the bike box to use as frame padding.

anyone use wheelbags? which ones? you could probably pack a smaller bike box and check a wheelbag and carry other clothes in your carry-on.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
mandown said:
Check each airline for the weights and dimensions allowed. 100lbs seems to be the max for most, but some have it at 80lbs. I have seen L+W+H anywhere from 62" to 115".

trico case = 33lbs
crateworks = 22lbs
Dakine = 16lbs
cardboard = ???

add a 40-50lb FR/DH bike and you are getting close to the max fast!

soutwest lets you check 3 bags without extra charges. most other airlines are 2 (including the bike box).

i would suggest packing smaller/heavy parts (like tools) in the bag with your clothes, and loading your pads and riding clothes in the bike box to use as frame padding.

anyone use wheelbags? which ones? you could probably pack a smaller bike box and check a wheelbag and carry other clothes in your carry-on.
Good point. I'll weigh it tomorrow. It was 70 lbs for a bike box last year. However, the website now says 50 lbs. :mumble:

My case: 32.5 lbs
My bike: just at 39 lbs.

Hopefully if I can get it in at under 70lbs, they'll take it as it is and not charge me. Maybe I'll take race photos with me and try to get them excited about what I'm doing and they'll suddenly be part of the team that helps me achieve my goals! :thumb:

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
When I was thinking about doing this the one thing that you have to remember is that a stupid TSA guy is gonna open it up and check though it. So if you place things so they fit for you and he just decides to toss it all back together crapily, then something might get damaged or what not. A hard shell case is excellent but the pack job is a tie. Pack it poor and something's bound to get broke or messed up.

Also peanuts is STUPID STUPID STUPID. You'd need like 30 gallons of peanuts to pack a bike box to where it'd do some good. A Trico is the best bet you'll find.

I thought about shipping my bike but at the same time if you're going to a race or something you bring somethings in your carry on's, and the rest is packed. Bringing bike gear with you can get heavy fast (think about it, helmet, pads, shorts, jersey, shoes, plus tools, spare parts etc...) Hell I could probably almost make up 2 70lb bags of just that garbage. So always take that into consideration. If you must bring alot you might want to see if you can ship some of it as it'd be cheaper than an oversize or extra bag charge on an airline.

I've seen them go over 70lbs but it has to be close. If it's like 100lbs they'll ding you for it, 75lbs and they may/may not charge you. That's my take on it I guess but since their rules are pretty clear you gotta hope for the best because if the counter guy is a dick, he could charge you for 71lbs (you know what I mean). Chances are slim but things happen.

Hailight

Chimp
Mar 5, 2006
When I'll go back to germany in the beginning of July I plan to use one of my suitcases, it basically looks like this one:

I'll clean my bike totally from any grease and then wrap it in bubblewrap and tupe isolation and use my clothes as additional padding and to fill the space. As I have two suitcases I'm planning on putting frame and fork on one and the wheels in the other. Does that sound like a good idea?

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Here's my pack job for my XC bike...

I suggest cutting a short piece of pvc pipe at whatever length your rear hub spacing is. (135, 150 etc) to prevent the frame from being compressed at that point. I have an old qr axle with the lock nuts in place in the frame shown.

The wheels are underneath. Fork is in the long box.

Mike

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
East County via East Coast
well, this post is a little late to help sunny since she's back on the e. coast already, but she must've forgotten that i borrowed her bike box last summer and fit my m3 inside, no problem, with fork removed. *sigh*