Quantcast

Pads

DroppinaNorco

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Sac Town
Hey, im just gettin into downhill and freeride and ive been doin a lot of the black diamond stuff like whistler and im thinkin i need some pads. Ive F**ked myself up pretty good after fallin a few times and i was wonderin which pads are the best. You know 661 of Roach or somthing else, also what is a good full face helmet. Price is not an issue.

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
Alright listen carefully "Do not, I repeat do not believe anything that you read in Mountain Bike Action"

As far as pads go I haven't eaten it hard in my 661 pressure jacket yet. knock on wood so I can't tell you how it performs in that regard. But it has saved me from some scrapes and bruises for sure. I use fox 711 knee/shin guards and they're Ok. They don't stay up as well as they should and the straps are waay to short, I don't really have that large of calves so I don't know what's up with that. My buddy has the new roach knee/shin guards and he really likes them so far.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I love my RockGardn pads and I recommend them highly. For a helmet, I say go moto. I just ordered a TLD MX helmet and I am psyched about it.

Dave

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by Zaskar Rider
Alright listen carefully "Do not, I repeat do not believe anything that you read in Mountain Bike Action"
I don't know man. I just got an issue at the grocery store and it's got some good info............like putting a marz 888 on a hardtail to make it a suitable jumping bike.

Whatever you do just get some sort of pads. Try them on first. Everyone's anatomy will dictate fit to some degree. In my experience the best protection in pads (not helmets) comes from designs that mock skateboard pads where crashing is pretty much a given. Most mtb stuff seems more made for wearing than crashing.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I use to have the old roach pads and they were good but the slipped down and cut my legs with the fabric when i pedalled. I got fox 911 this past weekend because its wat a shop had and htey felt good. They fit me great nad are the first pad ive tried on that actually accomadate my skinny but long legs. The new roach FR look nice. Giro mad max 2 helmet is what i have it rocks.

Ice Bullit

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by DroppinaNorco
Hey, im just gettin into downhill and freeride and ive been doin a lot of the black diamond stuff like whistler and im thinkin i need some pads. Ive F**ked myself up pretty good after fallin a few times and i was wonderin which pads are the best. You know 661 of Roach or somthing else, also what is a good full face helmet. Price is not an issue.
:mumble:

But besides that pads are good to have :D I am looking at some rock garden pads my self.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I'll add another vote for Rockgardn stuff. I'm very happy with my Flak Jacket and I'm considering some of their knee/shins for this year. Good customer service, too.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by kidwoo
Most mtb stuff seems more made for wearing than crashing.
no kidding. I find the Dainesse/661/Rockgardn stuff is fairly lean as far as protection goes; they offer no lower shin protection and barely wrap around (pretty much only cover a direct front side hit). My Mace stuff gives full length protection, rear calf and side knee coverage. The Roach/RaceFace stuff (with the white plastic guards) look excellent with real peripheral protection; unfortunatly my LBS doesnt carry it otherwise i probably would have got them instead (always best to fit twice, buy once...).

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Originally posted by zedro
The Roach/RaceFace stuff (with the white plastic guards) look excellent with real peripheral protection; unfortunatly my LBS doesnt carry it otherwise i probably would have got them instead (always best to fit twice, buy once...).
I was going to get some Roach, but like you I couldn't find a place that carried them. After seeing a few peeps wearing the new TLD combat pads I decided to get those and thus far I'm pretty pleased!

They offer great coverage (full leg), they are light, not too hot, and don't appear to slip. I only have a few rides with them..but no complaints thus far.Thread HERE

tartosuc

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
montreal
I use the roach raly dh and i really like them, they stay in place are comfy and are very well ventilated...the best i had over the years(i had 661 4x4, v-top, lizard skin etc..)

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by Acadian
I was going to get some Roach, but like you I couldn't find a place that carried them.
i dont know if its the same in the states, but up here RaceFace (owner of Roach products) decided to buck the distribution system and sell direct to LBSs. So its a pain for them to have to deal with a completly seperate entity for a limited product line, and since its not stuff they readily move anyways my LBS doesnt even bother with RF stuff anymore.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
There are a lot of jacket options out there that all seem to work well, but the Dainese Viking bib shorts are the only lower body pads that I have found that work well. I have serious trouble finding knee/shin pads that stay up on my legs. I also have a Dainese Gladiator jacket that I think is great.
I have owned Dainese stuff for about 7 years and have had no durability issues. The first jacket I owned ripped a little on a tree branch, but not enough to effect the protection. I ripped one knee pad in a very hard crash, but they were old and already kind of trashed. Their new designs is much stronger than the older stuff I have ridden from them. I am on my third generation of Dainese, and have had no problems with it.
Big money yes, but absolutely worth it imo.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Just out of curiousity, when most of you folks say "stay in place" or "don't slide down", are you referring to riding or when you fall on them?

I for one don't ever refer to anything other than crashing on them. That's what matters to me and from what I've worn, (old TLD, fox 911, dianese, 661) NONE of the mtb knee/shin pads stay in place in a crash very well without serious modifications. I've seen probably a dozen people with bloodied up knees wearing this stuff (me being one of them). The heavy neoprene designs seem to do the best job staying up but people seem to cry about the heat.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Just out of curiousity, when most of you folks say "stay in place" or "don't slide down", are you referring to riding or when you fall on them?

I for one don't ever refer to anything other than crashing on them. That's what matters to me and from what I've worn, (old TLD, fox 911, dianese, 661) NONE of the mtb knee/shin pads stay in place in a crash very well without serious modifications. I've seen probably a dozen people with bloodied up knees wearing this stuff (me being one of them). The heavy neoprene designs seem to do the best job staying up but people seem to cry about the heat.
I meant that they don't move period. The Dainese bibs are the only lowers I have found that don't move without being cumbersome. The bib part keeps the knee/shin pads from falling down, and calf straps keep the bibs from pulling them up too far. Plus they have thigh pads built in. I also have a pair of 661 knee/shin pads that stay in place well. The only problem is that they are almost as big as hocky goalie pads and stay in place b/c they rest on the top of my foot. They don't let my knees bend well either. But they do protect very well.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Yeah, I got the setup now.
I am using a set of the 04 661 race pads which fit me perfect and stay in place, but for added protection, I have a pair of the No Fear Attack shorts. They are shorts for I guess freestyle motocross, because from the knee down they have are neoprene and made to go inside moto boots. I just cut off the neoprene right below the knee, and now I have what is essentially built in knee warmers on my riding shorts.:D

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
both...

My Dainese never moved - but that could also be due to the fact that I always wear knee warmers over my pads. The TLD's seems to stay in place as well. I like the knee cup of the Combat pads..they seem to offer a bit more protection at the knee area, especially on the sides (since it's a tad wider than my Dainiese)
The knee sleeve Idea seems like a good one until you hit your knee on a rock. Don't you tear up the knee warmer? Most of my crashes (and they are frequent) happen at a pretty good speed and invlove a lot of multiple impacts.

It's also a technique thing with me. I ALWAYS hit my knees and can't get over the skateboarding instinct to head right for'em. I should show you some of my old knee/shin guards. The plastic plates look like I fell out of an airplane onto them.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by Jeremy R
Yeah, I got the setup now.
I am using a set of the 04 661 race pads which fit me perfect and stay in place, but for added protection, I have a pair of the No Fear Attack shorts. They are shorts for I guess freestyle motocross, because from the knee down they have are neoprene and made to go inside moto boots. I just cut off the neoprene right below the knee, and now I have what is essentially built in knee warmers on my riding shorts.:D
Do you puff up like a balloon when you fart in them or do they breath?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The knee sleeve Idea seems like a good one until you hit your knee on a rock. Don't you tear up the knee warmer? Most of my crashes (and they are frequent) happen at a pretty good speed and invlove a lot of multiple impacts.

It's also a technique thing with me. I ALWAYS hit my knees and can't get over the skateboarding instinct to head right for'em. I should show you some of my old knee/shin guards. The plastic plates look like I fell out of an airplane onto them.
I always wear knee warmers over my dainese pads as well, and they never move. I havent torn knee warmers in probably 2 years, but maybe i am just crashing less on my knees?

Knee warmers rock in the mud too, keeps the pads clean.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Do you puff up like a balloon when you fart in them or do they breath?
Here is a pic of them.
See the big white logo on the knee, I cut them off right below it,
and that part goes over the top of my pads. It does not fit tight like a kneewarmer, but it works well and is comfortable.
But just for you, I will fart in them tonight and float down to the corner store for some ice cream.;)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by Jeremy R

But just for you, I will fart in them tonight and float down to the corner store for some ice cream.;)
The important part will be to loosen them up once you get about 6-8 feet in the air and fall on your knees. I want a full report on the results.

Them trousers look like a good idea. Who knew I'd ever say that about something that says "no fear" on it..........well besides all the really classy looking pick up trucks of couse.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
The important part will be to loosen them up once you get about 6-8 feet in the air and fall on your knees. I want a full report on the results.

Them trousers look like a good idea. Who knew I'd ever say that about something that says "no fear" on it..........well besides all the really classy looking pick up trucks of couse.
Yeah, it took me a long time to accept that No fear makes some REALLY sweet moto gear and jerseys.
I could still the remember the hideous t-shirts and the hats with the plaid bill. Oops, I just got queasy.
But I took one look at Windham's jersey this year at a Supercross race, and was like, Ah, we should go with that.

Oh yeah, and even if the pads move with those pants on, that white logo is a pad itself, so it could keep from getting totally fubared.

Macrider

Monkey
Oct 13, 2003
Los Angeles
Originally posted by DroppinaNorco
For serious freeriding (like Whistler or the North Shore) - I'd recommend Hoots freeride pads - the best coverage, thickest padding, a hard calf-plate to protect the back of your legs - they are perfect for crashing hard (I use them for freeride and dirt jumping) - you buy the knee & the shin pieces & they velcro together - NO slipage either...

http://www.hootsgear.com/armor_goods.html

I would not recommend the Hoots knee/shin for DH racing(although a female pro DH racer friend of mine wears them for her races) - because of how big & bulky they are - not great for pedaling - instead, something like the 661 Race or Race Light would be a good way to go

my friend has the Roach Rally Freeride pads and loves them...

as for a helmet, I like the 661 Full Bravo - light, fairly good ventilation (for a full-face) and a removable liner so you can wash the stink away....

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Kevin...you need something like this eh? :D
Are those part of a michelin man suit?

I'm so disenchanted with the mtb stuff, I'm just going to wear skate pads with shin guards this summer. I already own them anyway. I rode boulder city like that and was pretty happy with my crashes:D I did'em real good.

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
Bootleg Canyon is the worst thing to happen to armor since me. (if you put them together then oh man...)

My 911 fox's have awesome coverage! The whole front of your leg up to the top of your knee is protected. The shin parts go down into your shoes (don't bug). I guess if you have seroiusly big legs they don't fit my with my legs the straps are almost too long. As long as they're strapped they don't move in crashes or regular riding.

Oh and they better than any other pad out there...

FOX ROCKS MY SOX!

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
if I had the dough...I would love to get a set of these..
http://www.asterisk.com

they look like the ULTIMATE knee protection
Funny you should mention that, I just picked up a set a week ago. So far I love them, tough as hell and they don't move a bit due to having a nice double pivot hinge made to closely mimic your knees natural movement.

I think about 90% of SX pro's wear them, I wonder why they haven't caught on in the DH scene? Could be the money they want for them.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by crashing_sux
Funny you should mention that, I just picked up a set a week ago. So far I love them, tough as hell and they don't move a bit due to having a nice double pivot hinge made to closely mimic your knees natural movement.

I think about 90% of SX pro's wear them, I wonder why they haven't caught on in the DH scene? Could be the money they want for them.
My custom knee brace (perscription dur to ACL tear) cost my insurance co. $1,000+, but it fits on over Dainese, is lowpro enough to wear under a suit, and offers sick protection. Protection def has a price tag!
What do those Asterisks run? From talking to a PT and an ortho this weekend, I learned that the pivot locations of all of the dual pivot braces are pretty much in the same spot. They said that the most significant differences some down to fit and the size of the hinge. Those Asterisks would be perfect for me.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.

fill me in on pricing, i am VERY interested. Also, from looking at them I cannot tell, is there a way we could somehow attach a shin guard protector to them? If so they would then be perfect!

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Yeah, they're pricy but you can find deals. They don't allow dealers to advertise lower than $550 but you still find retailers who offer things like %20 off on orders over a few hundred dollars and things like that.

You could wear a short shin guard below it, something like a soccer guard but I really don't see any reason. They come halfway down my shin and while I've torn up my upper shin countless times I've never had any problems with my lower shins.

The Asterisk guards are made by the same guy who started CTI (the $1200 custom braces) and use the same hinge design.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Yeah, they're pricy but you can find deals. They don't allow dealers to advertise lower than $550 but you still find retailers who offer things like %20 off on orders over a few hundred dollars and things like that.

You could wear a short shin guard below it, something like a soccer guard but I really don't see any reason. They come halfway down my shin and while I've torn up my upper shin countless times I've never had any problems with my lower shins.

The Asterisk guards are made by the same guy who started CTI (the $1200 custom braces) and use the same hinge design.
You can tell right away, it looks almost identical to a CTI CT2 custom brace, which is why i am interested. My knees are shot, and i would prefer this sort of security.

I am going to call them tomorrow and see what sort of deals can be had.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
If you can't get a set EP'd do a search on the KTM talk forums, there is a shop there that is selling them for $475.
Nice, thanks. Hopefully they offer deals for racers and such, seeing as it looks like alot of big name guys are grabbing them now.

I have been told i dont need something as extensive as the CTi2, but that if i dont take care i will shortly, so I'm in the market for something a little more comprehensive then a dainese pro air kneeguard.

I have a huge amount of gouges in my lower shin pads tho from pedals so I am hoping to be able to figure something out.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Rockgardn!

Leg: Airframe Knee/Shin
Chest: Flak Jacket
Arm (if you dont get a jacket): Airframe Forearm/Elbow

Shorts: CYA padded! protect that tailbone

awesome stuff, good review on the Flak Jacket on the board here. the 04 knee/shin kick butt, i love mine, stay in place, comfortable and awesome protection for the price. great company to work with also.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
By far the best and most economical knee/shins I've used are the Thor Quadrant's $17 + $25 for knee warmers= bad ass.

The thor pads are articualted like the Fox raptors, but are way simpler, way lighter, and way cheaper. I love mine.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by Transcend
You can tell right away, it looks almost identical to a CTI CT2 custom brace, which is why i am interested. My knees are shot, and i would prefer this sort of security.

I am going to call them tomorrow and see what sort of deals can be had.
My PPT and an ortho I talked to this weekend said that all the knee brace mfg's- Sport Inovation (maker of CTi2), Donjoy and others- are all using the same hinge design. But that could be like saying all wheel use the same design b/c they are all round. Still nice to know that its a quality design.
I WANT A SET!!!

And the knee warmer+shorts idea is sweet. I was just going to buy my gf some moto pants, but now have an excuse to be cheap!