Quantcast

Painting a billet grill?

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
So like, I'm doing up my tacoma (03) and I'm doing a black/red theme.

I've searched around and I can't find any billet grills for my tacoma that are black so is there any way I should paint a chrome/polished grill? (prep, kind of paint, clearcoat?)

Thanks~
Dave

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
This probably wasn't a great place to ask that question... but thats just my $.02

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
Dude. You have a "theme" for your *truck* :confused: :think:

Is this some sort of metrosexual thing? :D

-S.S.-

This should be preserved for our grandkids to read.

NastySid

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Sweden
If you have one of those billet mirror polished thingies you can have it anodized..

Or get a stock grille and paint that.
Or build your own grille
Or get some mesh in the right color..

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Will you wear your black sleeveless Fox jersey while driving it?

MD

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
I'll have to wear an arm warmer on my right arm (can you believe how fricking cold it its?!) so I can still hang my arm out the window, but yes.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
NastySid said:
Nah sorta like this Golf has in the lower part of the bumper..

That and similar things have been done w/heavy screen material, punched sheetmetal, machine-cut sheetmetal, etc. Go stroll around a home improvement store. Look at the stuff they sell to cover roof gutters. Look at the material you can use to protect screens from pet paws/claws. There are some designs that would look decent if cut-to-fit and properly installed.

If you insist on an aftermarket billet grille, I think you're gonna be payin' double: 1x for the piece and 1x to get it ano'd.

I once painted a stock plastic truck grille gloss black and it was a drastic improvement.

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
This is the T-rex available through Stillen. Both pieces would run you over 300 bones, seems like a lot of cash just to have the chrome painted over. Personally, I think the expanded steel(similar to the Golf pic above), painted how you like(black I'm guessing) would look better. Some nice welding shops might even donate the steel, like the one I visited in the past. $0.00 for a 2' x 4' sheet.

Attachments