espicially for like white or light green

good paint jobs that wont chip or rub off

and do you put like a protective coat on over
to keep the finsih clean??

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
just remember to not paint any area that will touch another part. as for the best way to go about this go for powder coating. its probably the best finish that is tough to go on alum.

mshred

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
1.Strip existing finish
2. prep the metal
3.Prime with expensive primer. (dont go cheap) it is the foundation for the paint and allows the paint to stick.
4. sand and re prime then sand again. make sure to leave no bare spots. make relly smoth.
5. apply a good paint use a sprayer if you have acess to it otherwise a rattle can wil suffice. thin coats and let them dry between each coat.
6. Clear coat with a hrdining chemical in it.

*note* the better the equipment (spray gun, primer, paint, hardner, ect) the better quality finish. And allow it to completely harden before hard use.
in the future, you only need to make 1 thread through out the whole forum:)

heres a good site: http://www.bikeguide.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53962&highlight=painting+parts

Just remember to take your time and do not rush it no matter what!

cederrowe

Monkey
Feb 18, 2006
portland, oregon
Remember its Prep, Prep, Prep to get a good job.

Also if your using spray can, get some 2000 grit wet dry paper and wet sand with water after painting to remove the "orange peel" this is the rough look you get from using spay can.

Make sure you get the right kind of primer. For AL you some self etching primer. It has some acid (or something) that digs into the top of the metal. It really helps the paint stick to the metal. I Tried to paint my new frame and got the wrong primer and I can scrape the paint off with a fingernail.

nomis7

Chimp
Mar 4, 2007
Brisbane,AUS
If your wanting to paint your cranks, i wouldnt recomend doing it yourself...I would run with 2 pak(professionly done)therefore they wont rub as quik as if you were to do it yourself,
Bars and stem would be fine to do yourself