Quantcast

Paris Mountain Questions

TommyH

Chimp
Mar 21, 2011
I lived in Charleston for 4 years and never was able to make to the upstate to ride any downhill trails and now I am back in flat florida. I did make it to a DH in Clemson last year and noticed some guys riding hardtails.

Now that I am back in Florida I go to Ocala when I can but trying to plan a trip to do some DH next month. Closest place I want to say will be Paris mountain for my buddy and I.

I have a DJ hard tail, do you guys think Paris Mountain is doable on a hardtail or would I need FS?

Lastly for those who ride there, what about shuttling? We will have 2 vehicles but only one that can transport both bikes at the same time. I would like to drive to the top and ride down, but not being able to get both bikes to the top again in the chase car, will make for some finagling. Do locals run there enough to help out with shuttling where we can catch a ride back up, or if I have to ride back up the mountain how hard of a climb is it? Keep in mind we are on single speed DJ bikes.

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
Plan your trip for the weekend of Sept 15 and go to Beech Mtn and ride Rocky Knob another day. The DH stuff at Beech is geared for FS bikes but would still be fun (But Challenging) on a hardtail. Plus they have a new beginner trail that will probably be perfect with lift access. That's what I would do. Also, Paris Mtn's DH course is changed.

Last edited:

TommyH

Chimp
Mar 21, 2011
Plan your trip for the weekend of Sept 15 and go to Beech Mtn and ride Rocky Knob another day. The DH stuff at Beech is geared for FS bikes but would still be fun (But Challenging) on a hardtail. Plus they have a new beginner trail that will probably be perfect with lift access. That's what I would do. Also, Paris Mtn's DH course is changed.
I was thinking about Beech on the 15th as well. I just wasn't sure with the races being held that weekend how accessible the trails would be but looks like the beginner trail would be open. Also would love to see some of the racing. Only downfall is it will add a good 3-4 hours on my drive time plus additional gas.

Do you know of any good Hotels in that area? Not looking to break the bank just something to shower and sleep in (also something in not too sketchy of a neighborhood lol)

Last edited:

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
I think it will be worth the extra time in the car. I'm in S. Fl and It's almost always worth the "lift" experience then trying to get shuttles set-up. Unless your willing to pedal to the top. You might even get to ride the Dual Course. I'm sure others will chime in about the beginner course but I think the reason they are open to the public is because the course is open. Here's a link to Rocky Knob MTB park. It's about a 1/2 hr from Beech.
http://rockyknob.wordpress.com/

TommyH

Chimp
Mar 21, 2011
Thanks for the info. I think the game plan is to head from Jax drop the wife in Charleston, SC. Pick up the friend then drive the 5-6 hours to Beech Friday night. Ride all day Sat with the lift access (like you mention easier to arrange). Then drive back to Charleston Sunday and drive back to Florida on Monday.

Guess it depends on what kind of trail access will be available at Beech, hopefully some others will chime in. I might call the resort tomorrow as well to get more details.

Saw some videos on Rocky Knob and would like to hit it up as well but that will have to be another trip.

Do you know if at Paris there is anywhere to lock the bikes up at the bottom of the run? Worse case would be I can only make it to Paris, lock the bikes at bottom of hill if possible while we shuttle cars around.

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
Another thing, if you are only planning on riding Saturday. The bike trails at Paris are closed Saturdays. Ride Beech Saturday. Stay the night somewhere and hit Rocky Knob for a couple hrs. on your way home Sunday. Call it a weekend:)

TommyH

Chimp
Mar 21, 2011
That sucks bike trails are closed on Sat for Paris, looks like it's Beech Mtn on the 15th.