Quantcast

Parrots Ferry Rips!

mtbikermark

Monkey
Oct 26, 2004
Jackson, CA
Didn't get any takers for the Auburn ride this weekend so I hooked up with some friends and rode at Parrots Ferry instead. Awesome day. The trail there is really fun.

Steep, Rocky and technical at the top. Then as you get further down, jumps, berms, drops, wall rides, log rides, etc. await. :thumb: We worked on the transition of a 10-12' drop and then hit that a few times.

Hats off to the riders who have created that trail and maintain it. A lot of hours spent working for the sake of pure riding pleasure. I've heard they do a friendly DH race there occasionally.

On our way out we met up with another ridemonkey from SC: JimW. Hope he was just a stoked as we were with the trail.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
mtbikermark said:
Didn't get any takers for the Auburn ride this weekend so I hooked up with some friends and rode at Parrots Ferry instead. Awesome day. The trail there is really fun.

Steep, Rocky and technical at the top. Then as you get further down, jumps, berms, drops, wall rides, log rides, etc. await. :thumb: We worked on the transition of a 10-12' drop and then hit that a few times.

Hats off to the riders who have created that trail and maintain it. A lot of hours spent working for the sake of pure riding pleasure. I've heard they do a friendly DH race there occasionally.

On our way out we met up with another ridemonkey from SC: JimW. Hope he was just a stoked as we were with the trail.
yeah, I rode it last weekend, that thing is so fun!

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
What trail is this? Never heard of it, but if it's as good as yall's say, I might get some heads together and ride...

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
It's near Sonora. JimW posted a link to a review on MTBR in the "Sonora" thread also here in the NorCal forum.

Sounds sick!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Doss, that jump looks buttery smooth. We should roll up there soon. Maybe after the new Enduro is built.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Sounds good to me! I down whenever you want!

you should see the rest of em' The trail is sick, its got some log rides and several rock gardens as well!

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
BTW my brother-in-law just e-mailed me, he lives in sonora, and said that he found the perfect spot, and is currently building a north shore trail with fire road drop ins (easy climbs) right behind his house.... unlike Santa Cruz Sonora is very small, and land is so open that most people could give a Fawk if you build trails up there. Hmmmmmm I'm predicting a a future move for myself... since all my family is already there anyways.

dvo

Chimp
May 31, 2004
that is it.......you guys have talked me into it, i have the day off tomorrow and i am going to head up there around 6-7 so i can get up there in time to get a couple runs in. how long would you say the trail is? i have read as long as 10 miles. is it a walk up/ride down deal?

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
dvo said:
that is it.......you guys have talked me into it, i have the day off tomorrow and i am going to head up there around 6-7 so i can get up there in time to get a couple runs in. how long would you say the trail is? i have read as long as 10 miles. is it a walk up/ride down deal?
yeah, Its a big day trip though... take some buddies, and some ..... ughhh proper tools......you'll be cool.

BTW theres a great bar in Downtown Sonora Called the Sportsman, check it out. you can take your dog in , buy a hunting license, Hunting acceseries, and Pitchers of Coors Light all in the Same place. Be kind to the Locals though.

dvo

Chimp
May 31, 2004
sounds great, i am down for the adventure. my riding buddies are either working or in indo surfing so i am on the solo plan. i carry a bigger load on those remote solo rides. as far as the bar goes i should be there by 4 or so.

scurban i sent you pm if there are any details you can share.

dvo

Chimp
May 31, 2004
i am not sure i even want to say just how good that trail is, i guess it is pretty remote and there is not to much chance of over crowding so.........that trail is sick!!!!
that being said spend some money with the local merchants and if they ask tell them you are there to mountain bike in the area. as they say money talks and it never hurts to spread some positive vibes.

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
I'm almost hesitant to post these pictures from the ride, but so far the trail seems to be pretty safe from getting taken out. What a sweet trail! On the way down, we ran into 3 of the guys that have been doing the work on that trail. One dude must have been in his 50's. Apparently they've been working on it for the last few years, adding jumps and obstacles. If you go and see any of the guys working the trail, give them props, they have done a great job. One thing that's nice about this trail is that there is something for everyone. Bigger obstacles for people with more experience, and smaller ones for those starting out. You can ride around everything if you want to. The top section is really technical though, so not really for beginners. It actually reminded me a lot of Pacifica, with the top section being like Crack/Mile, and the lower section kinda like Boy Scout.

Mark, it was cool running into you up there! PM me if you're ever down in this area and want to ride. What drop were you working on? Is it the one that is a gap jump across the trail, pretty close to where it starts getting steep/narrow/technical? I saw that one and was checking it out but didn't do it. The runout looked a little sketchy since it was so short and right into a turn. Next time...

OK, on to the pics.

Josh brought his son along, and he tried his hand at the jumps...

... and passed the initiation rite for entrance into the jumper's club!

In the 6-pack

Kelly's first jump

My "bike conscience" sitting on my shoulder, smacking me on the head and telling me that I must hit that wall ride...

Dustin on the wall ride

Dustin demonstating the amazing no-footer with clipless pedals!

Josh getting some air

The big double

Dustin hitting the log ride

Rutted out upper section. The picture angle is a little weird. This is actually looking down a steep curve from above. A lot of the upper section is rutted out like this.

Kinda out of focus, but funny... me jumping over Dustin, a.k.a the "Dustin double"

Big hip jump

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Jim.

That trail looks so bad ass!

I think it's time for you to get an Avatar my friend!

Don't feel obligated, some people dislike avatars, but I think you deserve this one.

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
punkassean said:
I think it's time for you to get an Avatar my friend!
Hey Sean, good idea, thanks for providing one! :) I had not done it yet mainly just because I just hadn't taken the time yet to figure it out...

Jim

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
punkassean said:
Man that's a siiiiiiiiiiiick jump! We have all got to head up there sometime soon!
Sean,

It is a sick jump, One of these weekends I am down to plan a road trip!

mtbikermark

Monkey
Oct 26, 2004
Jackson, CA
jimw said:
Mark, it was cool running into you up there! PM me if you're ever down in this area and want to ride. What drop were you working on? Is it the one that is a gap jump across the trail, pretty close to where it starts getting steep/narrow/technical? I saw that one and was checking it out but didn't do it. The runout looked a little sketchy since it was so short and right into a turn. Next time...
Yeah, that's the one. The landing is smooth but you're right, it is short. We found, though, that if you miss the turn the bushes that are piled up there stop you quite well...with only minimal discomfort. :)

Those pics are great by the way...

goin' medium

Chimp
Jul 31, 2003
Newark, CA
Damn it! Now I gotta' haul my ass out to Sonora. Cool looking trails. Give me a heads up for the next road trip. If I'm free I'm in. Prolly some time after Christmas.

Scott

Road trip!

Jim, sorry I couldn't make it up there with you man. I kinda feel like an ass for flaking, maybe that was the karma catching up to me and breaking my hand? :confused: Anyway, awsome pics! That place looks really fun. I think as soon as the Holidays are over and everyone gets things settled down, and my hand is healed, we should head out that way.

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
Sounds like a plan Rich!

Speaking of karma, I think I must have been a real asshole in a previous life or something, because this year I have been getting some real payback. First it was the bike getting stolen a few months back. Then, this weekend I was snowboarding at Sugarbowl, and someone broke into my car and stole two bags, which happened to contain:

- my wallet (w/cash, credit cards, license, etc - how I managed to forget this in the car I'll never know)
- checkbook
- personal laptop with all my email, contacts, financial records, calendar, photos, etc etc.
- work laptop (lesson: never attempt to do work on the weekend!!)
- Handspring Visor with contacts
- digital camera
- notebook with all my work notes
- a bunch of other irreplaceable things that I am still remembering (at the rate of about 1 item every hour or so...).

Don't ask me why I had all that stuff in a bag on the seat pretty much in plain sight... :rolleyes:

The replacement of physical items (the ones that are replaceable anyway) I can deal with, it's the data loss that really sucks. Of course, I had been pretty lax in my backups lately. You'd think as a software engineer that I'd know better... Turns out that I lost about 2 1/2 months worth of emails, contacts, calendar entries, and financial info.

One of the biggest losses is that I have not backed up any of my pictures for like the last year and a half! WTF was I (not) thinking??? I have come across one or two CDs which might have some stuff I can salvage, and I have some stuff posted online (like in this thread) but it looks like most of it is gone.

So if any of you guys I've ridden with happen to have any pictures that I've sent you or that you've sent me, I'd be grateful if you could re-send those to me...

And don't be a dumbass like me, don't leave yer valuables in the car! And back up yer data!
:nopity:

Jim

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Damn Jim you and Rich have earned new nicknames now.

JimW: Capt. Ganked

Surfinguru: Major Broken

Once the new Enduro is built, Sonora we shall go!

mtbikermark

Monkey
Oct 26, 2004
Jackson, CA
Sorry to hear about your loss, Jim. I have had stuff stolen before and know the feeling.

Here's a pic we took last weekend of the big drop across the trail. That's my friend, Brian doing the drop...

Attachments

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Max. it's on, let's shoot for shortly after new years, I have a new bike I'm building and it should be done then.

Did you see the road gap pic above too?

Raacerx

Monkey
punkassean said:
Max. it's on, let's shoot for shortly after new years, I have a new bike I'm building and it should be done then.

Did you see the road gap pic above too?
yeah, gap looks nice too. Ill be around, I got no school. Im just snowboarding and trying to keep my shoulder ok. I need a derailler, a new stem (or I need to helicoil my Azonic) and I still need to get my Fox fixed.

PS. We need to go to Auburn too! I was up there all weekend with a friend and she showed me some nutty places to ride. All kinds of natural gaps and stuff and some kickass trails and dirtjumps. Lot of just random trails off the side of roads.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Dude, have you seen my garage sale thread? I probably have what you need. lemme know and I'll hook you up. I have a gang of XT short cage der's that could be fixed into at least one good one.

fawk azonic stems, they all strip out! I stripped a shorty deluxe and they wouldn't warranty it. The f-ed up part was that it wasn't stripped, the flange that the bolt head rests against pulled through. Obviously a defect considering I tightened it w/ a normal allen wrench!