Quantcast

Pedal Question

mtnbiker49

Monkey
Jul 12, 2009
Milford, PA
At Diablo the other day, I pulled off a few nice one footed landings. Idk why but the 5.10 shoes and Tioga pedals don't seem to pair too well with me. Btw, the pedals are not worn and the shoes are fairly new. So, I think I am going to go clipless, which should also help out with the fast and rocky Diablo races. So, I know of two big clipless brands (Crank Bros and Shimano). Which setup works best for you guys? And I know that 5.10 came out with a clipless shoe. Is the extra money worth it? Thanks.

mtnbiker49

Monkey
Jul 12, 2009
Milford, PA
Mostly yes, only while jumping...i have to slam my feet back on the pedals immediately. But also going through rock sections when i get a little airborne.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Mostly yes, only while jumping...i have to slam my feet back on the pedals immediately. But also going through rock sections when i get a little airborne.
I think it might be your suspension setup, not your pedals. I'm no jumper, but I definitely remember reading that for jumping a full suspension bike, and experiencing the issue you described, the source of the problem is in the suspension. I ***Want*** to say that it's the rebound, and to remedy it you need to speed it up, but I'm not certain on this one, so don't quote me on it. Hopefully someone familiar with this and has the right answer will chime in.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Tioga MX Pro
These are great pedals.

I'm not exactly clear what the issue is. Your feet are coming off the pedals when you get airborne? And you're thinking of trying clipless pedals to keep them on?

If this is the case, it is probably a technique thing rather than the shoes and pedals.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Preload and pop off lips, or suck them up (both will bring the bike into your feet instead of lifting them off) don't just ride into the faces passively.

What you're describing has nothing to do with pedal and shoe choice.
Good advice here.

mtnbiker49

Monkey
Jul 12, 2009
Milford, PA
I think what I am doing is trying to lift the rear a little higher so I pull up on my feet, expecting the pedals to come with them. But instead they separate and I end up having to slam them back together. I must say though, quite a lot I have to readjust my foot positioning on any trail.

mtnbiker49

Monkey
Jul 12, 2009
Milford, PA
Gotcha. Check out kidwoo's advice. Your pedals are fine :)
Yea, I guess I will go experiment on the jumpline tomorrow. Though, I really think that being clipped in for downhill stuff and not having to keep readjusting is beneficial. As long as it doesnt negatively affect jumping.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think what I am doing is trying to lift the rear a little higher so I pull up on my feet, expecting the pedals to come with them. But instead they separate and I end up having to slam them back together. I must say though, quite a lot I have to readjust my foot positioning on any trail.
if its on trail too, then its definitely your suspension.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Yea, I guess I will go experiment on the jumpline tomorrow. Though, I really think that being clipped in for downhill stuff and not having to keep readjusting is beneficial. As long as it doesnt negatively affect jumping.
This reads to me like your trying to get permission or a "go-ahead" to try being clipped in, you do NOT need permission on the internet to try clips if you want to do it. I read this as an excuse to get clips and bait for support on the issue. I agree with the rest of the hooligans on this site and say that its your technique, BMX, slopestyle, Dirt jumping, Street, and "freeride" all use flats. Half of the DH guys do too, If your issue really was that you cant jump on flats, The X games would have a big problem, jumping is technique, not yanking your feet up. Ever see what qualifies a good bmx pedal? :rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This reads to me like your trying to get permission or a "go-ahead" to try being clipped in, you do NOT need permission on the internet to try clips if you want to do it. I read this as an excuse to get clips and bait for support on the issue. I agree with the rest of the hooligans on this site and say that its your technique, BMX, slopestyle, Dirt jumping, Street, and "freeride" all use flats. Half of the DH guys do too, If your issue really was that you cant jump on flats, The X games would have a big problem, jumping is technique, not yanking your feet up. Ever see what qualifies a good bmx pedal? :rofl:
a lot of bmx racers use clipless

mtnbiker49

Monkey
Jul 12, 2009
Milford, PA
Well at first I was just asking for recommendations on clipless pedals. I can jump on flats, but this issue just came up a few days ago. Ik about how many ppl use flats. I just don't know what else could cause my feet to keep on slipping doing any DH trails. (unless Kranked is correct)

bjorn

Chimp
Nov 10, 2008
fwiw, when I switched to flats for DH (15+ years clipless for xc/am...eek!) it took a while to get comfy. I can say with confidence though that my shoe/pedal interface is NOT what holds me back these days. I'm pretty comfy hitting the doubles (not the noes that throw you UP hugely though like on the bottom of Crap Chute) and most of the drops (excluding cannon/anthem) at diablo.

I'm working on my speed through the chunk but have no issues coming off the pedals, coasting or pedaling.

I'm riding 5:10 with Straitline pedals, FWIW.

For me, the biggest adaptations were

- Learning to ride "with" the bike not "near" it

- NOT "pulling" up to bring the bike up, but using preload/pop technique that has already been mentioned.

- Learning that I don't need to yank-n-gank on the pedals to get power down smoothly, whether in chunk or flatter area.

- and, having my suspension set pretty active.

It seemed to me that when using a more "xc/am" slow-rebound setup I was coming off the bike more, whereas this year I basically have the suspension setup in both ends pretty much as fast as I can tolerate it. Trying it this way to get more wheel on the ground through chunk at speed, better chatter handling, etc. Seems to be working. Unforseen payoff was better jump/drop connection to the bike.

good luck & keep the rubber side down!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If clipless go only with Time. CB are not that durable and shimano tend to do less than well in the mud.

Though I think you should slow your rebound a bit. I forgot to take spare pins for my twenty6 with me and after 10days of riding in Morzine my right pedal has half of the pins with one side left with NO! back pins at all. My foot still says on the pedal with no problems and I switched to flats only a year ago.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
2 years on 2 pairs of CB's and a decade on various SPD's, haven't experienced either problem you describe. YMMV.
Not mine. Never tried them as all my racing friends tried them and went through cleats and axles like crazy. Sticked to other companies. DX are really durable but a bit crappy in mud ( the new ones are better) but times are better in the mud and last long. The Zs cage had its problems but their new pedal seems sturdier and I my old Atacks which I did use for dh for some time and still use for trail riding are ~10 year old and still kicking.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
If you ever go clipless, the best combo IMHO is this one. Dx Shoes and Pedals (647s). Although these shoes are sadly not available in black no more. The new AM45 should fit the bill great also.

I tried CB. They work good, but not as durable as Shimano and no real way to dial the tension either.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not mine. Never tried them as all my racing friends tried them and went through cleats and axles like crazy. Sticked to other companies. DX are really durable but a bit crappy in mud ( the new ones are better) but times are better in the mud and last long. The Zs cage had its problems but their new pedal seems sturdier and I my old Atacks which I did use for dh for some time and still use for trail riding are ~10 year old and still kicking.
I'm aware of those issues with CB stuff and actively keep an eye on them. thankfully, neither have manifested themselves.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Well at first I was just asking for recommendations on clipless pedals. I can jump on flats, but this issue just came up a few days ago. Ik about how many ppl use flats. I just don't know what else could cause my feet to keep on slipping doing any DH trails. (unless Kranked is correct)
The biggest thing with your suspension that might be causing your problem would be (like jon said) your rebound damping. But even if that's whacked, good technique would still eliminate what I'm envinsioning in your description. How long have you been riding long travel bikes? There's a lot more to preload and react with sometimes with bike bikes. I'm not trying to be condescending but it's something I've seen a million times with guys who kill it on bmx bikes or hardtails and then try to go hit jumps pretty fast on a long travel bike. The geometry of these bikes changes constantly as does your foot position relative to the wheels. You need to account for that in some way.

Good technique is good technique and flats or clips shouldn't make much of a difference. 99% of the time pulling up with your feet to make a jump is a bad habit. I see guys all the time sucking up jumps (IE: not letting themselves actually jump the feature) and then try to stretch it and keep from casing by pulling up the rear of the bike. Hit the thing faster or load up the bike in the lip transition and pop off (extend and/or pressure your legs) and you'll get there.

If you really want to pull up the rear of your bike, angle your feet down (toes down) and you can create some pressure between your handlebars and your feet that will keep them there. I don't think that's your problem though.

And just for shlts and giggles go squash the rear end of your bike and let it top out (just stand behind it and press down on the seat and let up quickly). If you feel a clunk at the top end, increase your rebound damping.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
And just for shlts and giggles go squash the rear end of your bike and let it top out (just stand behind it and press down on the seat and let up quickly). If you feel a clunk at the top end, increase your rebound damping.
thanks for the tip - checked mine and it was doing something like

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Preload and pop off lips, or suck them up (both will bring the bike into your feet instead of lifting them off) don't just ride into the faces passively.

What you're describing has nothing to do with pedal and shoe choice.
:stupid:

This has nothing to do with shoes or pedals.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
I agree with that shimano dx set up and shimano shoes. they seem very reliable and wear well.

if anyone wants to trade left dx pedals that work for functioning rights shoot me a pm, I collected a couple.

Last edited:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Just echoing the statment that this sounds like a problem with riding form and suspension set up vs equipment. The Tioga MX pedals are actualy very grippy (ran them for 5 years) from my experiences at St. Anne and Bromont. Play with your settings and go from there.

If you want to try being 'clipped in', you can't beat the DX/Vans combo. I race in this set up and can't find any faults with it. Shimano SPD's are nothing short of awesome.

mtnbiker49

Monkey
Jul 12, 2009
Milford, PA
I checked out my forks rebound and somehow it undid itself. I tighted that and i didnt seem to have an issue about wanting to pull up the rear. Thank you Jon.