Quantcast

pedal slip

xanderx918

Chimp
Feb 8, 2010
i have a problem with my pedals and its getting worse. it seems that when i press harder or when peddling up hill its like my pedal or crank wheel slips. i have no idea what it is or how to fix this and would like to know. when it slips it makes a crackin sound like something popped and my foot always slips of the pedal. like i said i dont think its in the pedal it self but this occurs when i pedal my bike hard and apply alot of pressure like when standing up and peddling. anybody know what i mean?

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
This can be:
-Worn chain
-Worn front cog (check teeth)
-Cassette (check teeth)
-Hub pawls slipping

Edit:
What is happening is either your pawls are skipping and dropping you to the next ratchet point... or your chain is sliding up over the teeth of the cogs and jumping to the next slot.

Last edited:

xanderx918

Chimp
Feb 8, 2010
im sure its not my suspension cause its fairly new. not the rear derailer eithe but i believe its the piece that rotates the pedal idk what its called not the part where the chain is on but the cylinder thing built into the frame of the bike.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Make sure the cassette lock ring is tight. Take the wheel off and put a chain whip and wrench on it to make sure the lock ring is nice and tight.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Seems you mean you think it's the bottom bracket (the bearings/spindle the cranks rotate on). From what you have said, it is mostly likely not that. A worn out bottom bracket feel like something is grinding or dragging, it will not cause what you described.

I think nelsonjm hit it: either it is a drivetrain component that is worn or out of adjustment or (less likely, but certainly possible) the hub pawls are slipping.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I think you need to replace your chain, rings and cassette. your chain is slidding up the teeth on the gears because they are worn out.

xanderx918

Chimp
Feb 8, 2010
it seems like and feels like it but i thought it wouldnt be reasonable because i bought the bike brand new 5 months ago. is it possible the parts could worn out THAT FAST!?

JimLad

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Whistler
Had that exact problem where randomly I would lose drive. Was not dependent on the position of the crank so I ruled that out - eventually replaced pawls in the hub. Problem solved :)

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
For the short duration you've ridden it, my guess is dérailleur adjustment(s) are needed. I would take it back to where you bought it so they can help you diagnose/ fix it.
If you can't, any shop should be able to help.
Let us know what you come up with and good luck!