Quantcast

pedals

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
so i just got my first pair of road shoes (Shimano R125's), I've alwasy just used my MTB shoes as my road bike has single sided SPD's.

now I was thinking of changing to a "traditional" road pedal with a larger platform, namely 'cos I can beacuase of the new shoes.

Do you reackon different pedals will make a difference ? If so, what do people recommend (budget in mind) ?

thanks.

BigStonz

Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
Swain!! NY
I hope you are enjoying your summer down there, we're freezing oue asses off in New York. I don't know if you have anything like Performance or Nashbar catalog co. If I were you I'd get a set of their house brand spd pedals.. thet're usually pretty reasonable.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
BigStonz said:
If I were you I'd get a set of their house brand spd pedals.. thet're usually pretty reasonable.
brain freeze? He's already riding SPDs.

rockracing, do you have any knee issues? Did the spds work for you? How much walking do you do?

I love my ultegra pedals and suspect the campy chorus versions are similar. I tried Look and Speedplay, didn't like the cleats and I have a bad knee.

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
no knee issues (yet) I'm happy with the spds, but would go for the "look" type pedal if it gave an advantage, the shoes already are stiffer than my mtb shoes so there's already an advantage their, maybe I'm just being greedy ;)

plus I just want to even more roadie than I do at the moment, I never though I would ever ride with white socks on a bike and now I do, worst of all, I'm wearing those damn nike swoosh and deep down I like it.....:)

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
rockracing said:
no knee issues (yet) I'm happy with the spds, but would go for the "look" type pedal if it gave an advantage, the shoes already are stiffer than my mtb shoes so there's already an advantage their, maybe I'm just being greedy ;)

plus I just want to even more roadie than I do at the moment, I never though I would ever ride with white socks on a bike and now I do, worst of all, I'm wearing those damn nike swoosh and deep down I like it.....:)
Ok dude, put the pipe down and step away...j/k
This won't help you one bit, but I'm riding w/ eggbeaters and a really stiff pair of mountain shoes on my roadie. Love the float, and I don't even have bad knees. They're weight weenie light to boot!

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
On a budget you can get looks or look knock off pretty cheap. Never heard anyone really complain about looks style pedals. Me personally I'm a Time fan, so that's what i use.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I suggest avoid Look-alikes... I tried the Performance version of Looks and kept popping out when I would pull on the upstroke... and the only time I ever did that was standing on a climb, so that sucked. I've heard others had the same problem. Apparently, there are simply less contact points on the knock-offs.

Ultegra/DA cleats are the most comfortable to walk in that I've tried.

chriskaiser

Monkey
Jul 26, 2004
Toronto
do you have any knee issues?
The issue with the knees, I know nothing about, are you saying that different types of pedals can effect your knees in the long term, and that one should be used over the other(ex.more float good less bad?)?

Or if you already have a knee issue one type is better than the other?

Thanks, just curious:) I don't mean to deviate from the topic

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
i've heard that very little to no float (like black look cleats?) can cause knee damage IF the cleats aren't aligned just right.

What I do know is that if you already have knee issues that you should take the time to experiment with different pedals and find the right one for you. I've purchased three pedal systems and bought and immediately returned another... that's four I tried before finding the right one for me.

Many people told me that I needed lots of float cuz that's what bad knees need. Turns out that for some people, like me, that's totally fookin' wrong. I have 'tracking' issues with one knee, so too much float, and my knee would sometimes pop at the top of the rotation.

In addition to float, there's lateral movement, which I've not check out, but think the Time pedals have that option?

Shimano Ultegra is absolutely the right pedal for me and even if someone told me something else was better, I'd be afraid to try 'em.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
ah, gotta love Eggs, but i don't know if i'd recommend using them unless the sole of your shoe is super stiff.

i will be getting some of them Quattros soon.

J

JRB

Time Atacs for me. I tried look and speedplay and didn't like them. I now have 2 different carbon mountain shoes, but I never had any problems with any regular soled sidis.

chriskaiser

Monkey
Jul 26, 2004
Toronto
I use these Wellgo ones
with these shoes.
I switched over from SPDs since I wanted a bigger platform, but needed a cleat that would fit in the treads my "mountain bike" shoes and these just fit

Triphop

Chimp
Sep 10, 2002
If you are looking for a inexpensive set of road pedals, consider the new Time pedals. They are a modification from the Impact line. I believe the RXE retails for around $80, the RXS for $120 and the carbon RXS for $170? Features include an adjustable retention setting which affects how freely the float works, and depending on which foot the cleat is put on, the q-factor is adjustable. And they are light for Times. Not to mention the new Time cleats are easy to walk with, much like the Shimano cleat. Nice thing about time the retention system is metal to metal, rather than plastic.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I'm with Opie. I've got the same pedals, and I'm more than happy with them. Never popped out, even when I had them on the lowest tension.

You may have to experiment though. I'm getting the feeling that pedals are like saddles.

splat

Nam I am
I have look Pedals on my Road Bikes and Love them ( spd's on my Mt bikes ) I ride with Black cleat ( no Float ). I did not have knee problems till I tried a set of red Cleats with Float . after hurting my self , Both My orthopedic and my Physical theriopast ( sp ?) told me to lock my self in position, and that float was bad for me !!

then they told me
that about 25 % of the people riding need float
50 % it makes no difference for.
and the fianal 25 % ( which I'm in ) float is bad for! so just keep that in mind.

i also did try SPD on one of my road bikes once , I didn't like the "hot" spot I liked the feeling of the larger platform.

special O

Chimp
Dec 5, 2002
speedplays and my specialized shoes are the only pedals I have used where i have ZERO knee pain (i get it sometimes on my mtn bike with times and when i used times (mtn) on my road bike i had lots. spds i took off after one ride).