Quantcast

pegs on 26

Sep 17, 2003
hey, i have a p-2 w/a trek bruiser rigid fork. I want to run pegs up front, but have been told i will destroy my wheel and fork....i have a solid axle also...anyone have any input......will it self destruct?

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
I too am working on this. I have been told that an aluminum 20mm axle will not hold up to the stresses. I have not been told anything about the wheel holding up, and am inclined to not put much belief in that statement (I specifically mean rim and spokes here, the hub could potentially be a weak spot, but I think with appropriate hub and build it would be ok). If the makers of the fork told you that it won't hold up, thats one thing, but if it was friendly conjecture, I would keep searching for info. The makers of the fork being the most likely..... also, if it is Al and not steel, then it may not hold up from what I have heard.

What type of axle and hub do you have?

mutt

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
so your fork is steel then..... personally, I wouldn't worry about it then, although you shold keep an eye on it as you try this out. The axle does seem thin for peg grinds. The suggestion of finding a chromoly one seemed a good idea, but this will still have the same potential problems. Are the fork drop-outs the standard, quick release ones? you might consider going to a 20mm hub and having an axle custom machined to have the greatestest possible diameter allowed by the drop out. I don't know how much you want to invest in this. However if you would want to go that route, you may just want to try the thin axle set up sinc you'd be getting a new axle and hub with what I suggested anyway. Just be wary of the fork dropouts being affected.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
well banshee does make 20mm axle and peg for suspension forks. Its to go wtih their Scratch frame set which is designed for 14mm axles in the rear, so you can run pegs.
anyway, if youre looking at the 20mm option, talk to them and see what they have to say.

Sep 17, 2003
huh?
if you have a aluminum frame, i would not put pegs on the back...but if you have pegs up front, then you could rotate them..i really have not idea what your question is though really....

Attachments

skinny

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Victoria, BC, Canada
Sorry, let me clarify. I want to know, when grinding the flats on the 14mm axle of the rear hub to fit in the dropouts, do I grind just one side of the axle, to make it D-shaped in diameter, or both sides?

I know you have to grind both the drive side and nondrive side, that's pretty obvious.

freerider215

Chimp
Jul 27, 2003
not sure what you mean by that. hey, i just got fed up riding bigger wheeled bikes for street and park. trust me you guys aren't in the vanguard of guys trying to put pegs on mtbs. i found even with pegs on a 26" a 20" is just more fun in those settings. that's my opinion. that being said, this guys set up is by far the best solution i've seen to this (also check out the retro fitted Rock Shox U-turn on his Marz. DJ2), Ryan is genius!

"http://www.xxxfr.sardonica.net/Misc...eg/qr20peg.html

i dont have any pics but here is a guy who built a 20mm axle pegs on his dj2...pretty sick"

mutasmurf

Chimp
Feb 16, 2002
Bellingham, WA
Originally posted by freerider215
Just buy a damn 20"!!!!
My thoughts exactly. Pegs on a mtb just doesn't go together well. If you want to do grinds on pegs, a bmx will be much more suited for the job. You might fvck yourself up if this mtb peg system fails. Just my 2 cents.

Sep 17, 2003
i hear what your saying freerider, however, since i have one bike, and cant afford a 20, then i would like to try and make the most of the bike i have...and i like to keep it real and rip it up on a 26......reprezent repreznet zent zent!!!

skinny

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Victoria, BC, Canada
Originally posted by mutasmurf
My thoughts exactly. Pegs on a mtb just doesn't go together well. If you want to do grinds on pegs, a bmx will be much more suited for the job. You might fvck yourself up if this mtb peg system fails. Just my 2 cents.
Even on a bike designed for pegs, like the new Banshee Scratch? That's actually where I'm considering going, I'm just trying to find out if there's a safe economical way to throw pegs on the current ride.

Like crashedupderby said, I cant really afford another bike. I'm a student after all.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
von williams (v-dub) had a set up that thor was telling me about. he had the hole in the end of his 20 mil axle bored out and tapped. he then had a threaded post welded to the end of a peg. if he wanted pegs he would just screw it in and grind away when he was done he would just take it off.i dont know the final outcome however he was using it for a while.

freerider215

Chimp
Jul 27, 2003
Originally posted by skinny
Even on a bike designed for pegs, like the new Banshee Scratch? That's actually where I'm considering going, I'm just trying to find out if there's a safe economical way to throw pegs on the current ride.

Like crashedupderby said, I cant really afford another bike. I'm a student after all.
I don't know much about the Scratch, but i'll say this, if it's an aluminum frame it'll be done in a few weeks if you grind. Especially if you are learning to grind on it. Aluminum crank arms will also grind down. Also better get some kind of grind guards too (again especially if you're learning) because your spokes will be a mess as well as your forks drop outs. I don't know guys, you'd be better off learning pedal grinds (which are a **** load of fun too). If you are one of those guys who always frets over scratches and dents and likes a pretty bike, don't grind.