Quantcast

pegs?

UCSBrian

Chimp
Mar 11, 2002
seattle
Hi ive got a free agent 20" i got a while back for really cheap. Ive been wanting to put pegs on it but im not really sure about how to go about it. I used it mainly for dirt jumping but would like to be able to grind some stuff. I was told that the axles on my wheelset were too short to run pegs. Can i install longer axels? Where are good places to go about purchasing bmx hardware? Thanks guys
Brian

UCSBrian

Chimp
Mar 11, 2002
seattle
what i have is a free agent speedway. I dont reall know what axels i need to buy, if i can even replace the axels, what exactly i need to order. Im pretty clueless as far as bmx stuff goes. All i know is that i was told my axels were pretty short and would not lend themselves to pegs. Anyone able to help me out on some specifics?

Edit: Also how terrible of an idea is it to run threaded pegs?
Seeing as the axels are short this would be nice and easy.

Thanks
Brian

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
Your local shop should know which axles to get you. Just stroll in with your Free Agent steed and tell them your situation.

As far as pegs go, I would stay away from threaded ones. They are then your axle nuts and are subject to rotation (and therefore loosening your wheel from the dropouts) from a hard hit. You should look for a good set of pegs with anti-spin. Right now I'm running Snafu Hexagonpegs, which have anti-spin and 6 positions to allow for lots of wear. They fit 3/8" or 14mm axles and probably retail for 20-25 bucks US for a pair. Be careful using any pegs on any 3/8" axle system, as they are liable to bend or break. Good axles (like the brands mentioned above) should make a difference in that regard, though.

I hope this helps you.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
primo pro makes this hub that has super strong 3/8 axles, but htey are like 150 bucks or something, ya, get the axles and definitly no threadid pegs, they are evil.....

:D :cool: :)