Quantcast

People ride to much

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
After just reading sir chomps allot thread i have come to the conclussion that the people on this forum RIDE too much. IF mountain biking has you by the nuts like chomps, you all should really take a break.

Honestyl with all the injurys ive been seeing. concussion, opium side affects and what not. Take it down a notch, or pick up chess. I really dont think this is good when ones life has become so tied into mnt biking.

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
well the way I see it is people ride real hard and push the limits. But when they do they usualy are aware of the probable consequences. That's why i ride like a wussy (relatively to all you :monkey:s of COURSE, I can still RIDE damit!), but am still very content riding like that and taking minimal risks. It's absolutely not worth it to me, I'd rather have moderate fun on my bike all year than drop a 30fter and probably be off the rest of the year.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Where is this "much" place you speak of? Can you only ride to much or can you ride much once you get there. Does not matter anyway, I have too many things to do this weekend.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i think people ride too hard, but not often enough. weekend warriors :dead: (of which i am most definitely one if you don't count my frenzied late-night laps around a local parking lot :D)

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
I don't ride enough. Only one or two days a week of DH and a couple urban rides. Hell i should be riding everyday.:angry:

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Originally posted by mack

pick up chess.
I'm a little worried about you mack.
We better all run inside and turn on the stimulator 3000(TV) that seems pretty safe. Oh don't sit to close you may go blind.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Even with my injuries, riding is the only thing that keeps me sane and level headed. Traffic alone would drive me nuts if I didn't get to blow off some steam on my bike a few times a week. I'd probably end up getting road rage and ramming some idiot off the road with my car if I didn't have the escape I do with bikes.

Lumpy_Gravy

Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
Well Tracy moseley pretty much rides all day every day. Up at dawn in bed by 9pm. So such a question is not very productive.

I think a better thread may be "with all these injuries I read about, Is it possible that people are taking too greater risks and riding beyond their capabilities?"

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Originally posted by Fulton
:stosh:
That was generous.
Last weekend on the day of my race, I did SEVEN practice runs in a row. Why? Because I love to ride.
Hell, I think we all do, or we would not spend our time on MTB messageboards when we are not riding. There is a ton of other lame stuff we could be surfing on the net besides being on here.
But everybody on here loves to ride, (well except maybe the dorks in the political furom, they just like to feel themselves type.;) )
I WISH I could ride too much. That would rule.
I have not reached that point in the last 10 years.
What is up with all the talk about not pushing yourself, and riding within your limits BS.
This is the DH forum right, or did I stumble into the "bike paths for life" forum. Good grief.
That is what we do. That is how we are wired up.
Thrillseeking, scabwearing, straightlining, envelope pushing, stretching your limit riding, dirty, filthy, downhillers. That is the family that I am proud to be a part of, and will plan on doing all of the above tomorrow. :devil:

Getting hurt sucks. And you should take the proper precautions to prevent injury. Things like wearing proper armor, training your body properly, learning how to crash, etc.... And of course you can still get hurt anyway, but if you couldn't, it would not be much fun in the first place.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Originally posted by Jeremy R

Thrillseeking, scabwearing, straightlining, envelope pushing, stretching your limit riding, dirty, filthy, downhillers. That is the family that I am proud to be a part of, and will plan on doing all of the above tomorrow. :devil:
Yeah that's me in a nutshell.:D
I'm kind of like a mullet. shirt and tie by day gnar gnar by night(and weekend of course):evil:

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
I DH/ freeride every day and i think if i didn't i would go completely insane. i remember when i got hurt i wanted to ride so bad and when i was finally better i went bigger and harder than i ever had, all because of my love for riding.

as to the risk factor, that's part of what makes dh fun (to be honest). i can huck 100 foot cliffs in dh domination while barely keeping my eyes open cuz i'm so bored. but when i do a 10-15 foot drop in real life its the ultimate rush. its what makes me feel alive.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
ok i :stosh: all the :stosh: responses. Theres nothing :stosh: more than bothering to reply with a :stosh:. I mean, what the hells wrong with you people?

i :stosh: this thread for different reasons, even if the original post was :stosh:, but its not like i would :stosh: it.

:stosh:!!!!

PS...first one who quotes me with a :stosh: will die!!! one day

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Originally posted by zedro
ok i :stosh: all the :stosh: responses. Theres nothing :stosh: more than bothering to reply with a :stosh:. I mean, what the hells wrong with you people?

i :stosh: this thread for different reasons, even if the original post was :stosh:, but its not like i would :stosh: it.

:stosh:!!!!

PS...first one who quotes me with a :stosh: will die!!! one day
:stosh:

RaID

Turbo Monkey
Originally posted by Jeremy R

I WISH I could ride too much. That would rule.
I have not reached that point in the last 10 years.
What is up with all the talk about not pushing yourself, and riding within your limits BS.
This is the DH forum right, or did I stumble into the "bike paths for life" forum. Good grief.

Getting hurt sucks. And you should take the proper precautions to prevent injury. Things like wearing proper armor, training your body properly, learning how to crash, etc.... And of course you can still get hurt anyway, but if you couldn't, it would not be much fun in the first place.
you couldnt have summed it up better then this.

Its the thrill of knowing you have your safety in your own hands,
i did a high ropes course a few months back, 20-30 ft of the ground walking on planks and ropes, it just didnt compare to riding, as you knew if you screwed up the rope would catch you and you could go back up and do it again.

In biking you screw up you dont know how yore gonna end up, but when you make it thats where the buzz is.
Yes the problems do start arising as ppl want to have the same buzz again but to do that they have to hit something bigger every time, but thats when you have to use your head and think about how to hit the jump what speed and etc, how to prepare for it, no matter if its 6ft drop or a 20ft,

having had the pleasure to ride with a few of the worlds top riders, this where they excel (there was one exception to this but iw ont mention any names), if something is stretching their limits, they prepare and practise to make to ensure their safety.

i think where a lot of ppl get injured is when they are not riding too much, ie once a week or even less, every time they get on the bike they can think just pick it from when they last got off the bike without warming up , and hit all the hard lines again, if you use your head most of the time you will come

you also cant say we ride too much, this is our passion our hobby, ppl have spent lots of money on their equipment, made personal sacrifices so that they can free themselves on their dream machine at the dream location (as a recent example here is -seb selling his car to so that he can come to whistler for 2weeks) hence they want get their money's worth, deep down were all little kids wanting to play with their toys

we ride hard, but most importantly we need to ride smart, no matter at what level, some of the worst crashes that ive seen have all occured on the easiest sections of trails

sorry about the rant :monkey: