Quantcast

Photo Buffs: File Storage and processing?

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I'm starting to shoot a lot more digitally since getting my D70S and realized that i am piling up more and more raw files in aperture. I was wondering what everyone does for their general processing after they shoot.

A few questions i have are:
1) What format do you keep your master files as?
2) what sort of sorting do you use?
3) what program do you use (folders/iphoto/aperture/some other software)
4) stored on internal or external hard drive?
5) how far back do you save your photos?

Thanks for the answers!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
1) .JPG because my camera is crappy and I'm poor...I'd keep them in .RAW if I could
2) See 3...I name folders after dates, and if I shoot seperate subject/events in the same day, I create subfolders with subject/event name
3) Explorer (folders), although I may move over to Picasa or iPhoto if I can organize the photos I took before I started dating them
4) Internal, but I'd like to get an external 100gb drive for photos
5) Forever...they're not big enough to justify tossing them, and odds are I'll need one at some point

I don't shoot professionally or anything, I suck and do it for fun, so take my answers with a grain of salt. Some peeps here probably have some pretty intricate crap going on.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i keep printable ones in raw and tiff. junk other raws after conversion (in adobe lightroom). "normal" kept shots live for a while in iphoto as jpg until i purge them. main sorting is in iphoto, stored on internal drive. my current library dates from jan 2003 but i recently purged a bunch that i will never print or republish.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
1) Alaways store in RAW. Less compression the better for storage.
2)Year/Month/Date/Event
3)Save in folders look-up in Bridge and iVeiw
4)Store recent work on both internal and external drives for backup reasons, all archived work is stored on 2 different harddrives in seperate locations, portfolio typw work is also on DVD for triple redundent backup
5)I store everything I've ever shot digitaly and most film has been scanned, about 5TB total, so I have roughly 12TB of storage including all my redundent backup.

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
1) RAW
2)Event, Month, Day
3)CS2, Picasa
4)Internal/external (Backup, I have a fairly cruddy desktop and I lose photos all the time) I rely on external more. When I like to edit them I load the Event onto desktop, edit then put back in External. I have ALL my racing photos stored on DVD, also all Lacrosse pictures
5)I have everything to the time I picked up my first SLR

Questions for the more experienced photographer:

1. I shoot with a Canon 20D
On the 20D when I review the picture in the camera the image shows, but when I upload to my computer, the image comes out plain white...no image, but it tells me there is an image there. (this is only when I shoot JPEG) This only happens ever so often. BUT when I put the CF card back in the camera it shows the image?
2. What external hard drive case do you have? Should I get a better one, because once it has been on for more than an hour it freezes up. Or could this be the actual hard drive?

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
at school dreaming about trails
well on your computer majig you need to go to the fileymabob and click the screwball which will activate the computer pictures work button, then you need to search the internet for a funny picture of a rabbit with a pancake on its head, then if your computer is awsomely masturfull then you can put that picture with the tail of a newt and the armpit hair anjelina jo lee, from that you get a stapler. you use the stapler to staple your camera to your computer....Theeeennnnn you can have your pictures on your computer

love,
your friendly neighborhood spiderman

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I shoot jpeg fine. Should I make the large edited ones into Tiffs or something? I have always been saving them (fullsize edited ones) as jpegs, then saving a web size version as a jpeg also.

I have stuff printed at costco.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Thanks for the responses guys definetly helped me decide on what i should do. Good to hear other people do worry about their organization and backups.