Quantcast

@#@ Phucket Friderp @#@

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Haley is going to murder us in our sleep. Whole school just kind of went slack jaw watching the news piece and finding out that she's going to nationals. When they pulled her up to the front, I thought she was going to die though because she's super bashful.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

gonefirefightin

free wieners
A flamethrower not a flametrebuchet
When we were burning giant machine piles in the spring we would each grab a 5-gallon bucket of luma gel powder, pour in the gallon of fuel, and mix them up with a joint compound mixer and use a small garden trowel or a chuckit to fling little globs of flaming gel into the piles. by the end of the day we were flinging flaming globs at each other.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
When we were burning giant machine piles in the spring we would each grab a 5-gallon bucket of luma gel powder, pour in the gallon of fuel, and mix them up with a joint compound mixer and use a small garden trowel or a chuckit to fling little globs of flaming gel into the piles. by the end of the day we were flinging flaming globs at each other.
Do you have a thermite recipe that uses pop rocks and Kingsford?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Haley is going to murder us in our sleep. Whole school just kind of went slack jaw watching the news piece and finding out that she's going to nationals. When they pulled her up to the front, I thought she was going to die though because she's super bashful.
wait you were there?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
volunteer work at a park by the office this AM. was near the dive shop, so dropped off the transmitter for installation on the first stage. BC was ready so that came home with me. water time tomorrow at a university pool.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Just talked to the owner of the tent company that makes my tent. He doubts that it will last the entire thru hike because of it's age and the process in which it was originally manufactured. Said they are good for about 150 nights and I've probably got close to half of that already. Humph indeed.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Yeah Dyneema tents are stooopid expensive. While they are incredibly lightweight they don’t have a long lifespan if used for thru hiking. The material starts to shrink after a while. I just recently learned this.
Yes, dyneema is an ultra-linear polyethylene. Polyethylene as polymer molecule has a carbon-carbon bond as its backbone (which is why dyneema is so strong) but in its normal state it likes to naturally fold up like a zig zag, which is why normal PE is quite stretchy if pulled in the right directions. Dyneema has these backbones aligned and frozen in place, but heating it to about 80°C starts to soften it up and will start to ‘shrink’ back to its regular old PE zig-zag structure. I can totally see a dyneema tent sitting in the sun, especially with a good bit of UV would probably experience some of this shrinkage after a while.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Yes, dyneema is an ultra-linear polyethylene. Polyethylene as polymer molecule has a carbon-carbon bond as its backbone (which is why dyneema is so strong) but in its normal state it likes to naturally fold up like a zig zag, which is why normal PE is quite stretchy if pulled in the right directions. Dyneema has these backbones aligned and frozen in place, but heating it to about 80°C starts to soften it up and will start to ‘shrink’ back to its regular old PE zig-zag structure. I can totally see a dyneema tent sitting in the sun, especially with a good bit of UV would probably experience some of this shrinkage after a while.
so it needs to be sheltered from the sun like a CF bike, I'm hearing

maybe one could get a tent for the tent

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Owner said that the model year my tent was manufactured that the company just pulled sheets of dyneema off a roll and built the tents. New factory pre-stretches the Dyneema. Interesting to note that some tent companies have switched from dyneema floors back to Silnylon.

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
A tent only good for 150 nights? GTFO.
When I chose my gear, after much research, I was operating under the assumption that a lot of it would only last for one thru hike. Then Covid happened and I just kept training with a full pack. So by now my kit has somewhere around 2500 miles on it. Well over one thru hike.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Hey, more great news! Apparently I have ligament damage in my index finger that is essentially unrepairable. It supposedly will always be weak and somewhat painful.
I obviously will get a second opinion.

I asked "If I were a famous concert pianist or something, how would they proceed?"
She said nothing more than what we are doing.

Well, at least my marriage is terrible, so that’s great too.
:banghead: :banghead: :banana::banana::banana:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Hey, more great news! Apparently I have ligament damage in my index finger that is essentially unrepairable. It supposedly will always be weak and somewhat painful.
I obviously will get a second opinion.

I asked "If I were a famous concert pianist or something, how would they proceed?"
She said nothing more than what we are doing.

Well, at least my marriage is terrible, so that’s great too.
:banghead: :banghead: :banana::banana::banana:
HGH can fix your wrist, and your marriage maybe?