Quantcast

Pictures of old and obscure suspension bikes

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
OGRipper said:
Um is it me or is the suspension compressed in the first pic? Otherwise I don't understand how it works, but that wouldn't be the first time.
Have you been drinking??? You are talking about the pic VRock posted right??? Cause the suspension isn't compressed... Otherwise, I'm the one that needs the drink!!!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Secret Squirrel said:
Have you been drinking??? You are talking about the pic VRock posted right??? Cause the suspension isn't compressed... Otherwise, I'm the one that needs the drink!!!
Well no but I'm starting to get damn thirsty. :p

Look at the pic on the left and explain to me how that bike is going to compress when you hit a bump. Unless it's got like an inch of travel, I don't get it. The lower link is rotated almost all the way up.
I guess it could be that the upper part of the lower link is basically the pivot point and the swingarm rocks forward from there? Maybe I'm just used to looking at vpp bikes, but if on the other hand the frame is compressed it makes a lot more sense, and yeah like DW said a lot like a Giant. Plus it looks like a mock-up and not a real pic.

Edit: I guess I see how the lower link would rotate down...I dunno, weird.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Yeah, that lower link rotates down and back while the top link rotates forward. Definitely different.

This thread turned out great!

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
dw said:
Yeah, that lower link rotates down and back while the top link rotates forward. Definitely different.

This thread turned out great!
This thread must be a great research tool too...

Who's got pictures of old and obscure spinal implants?

:D

mgy

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
Morrison
vitox said:
this one is very similar to that MRC mr zaragoza posted.

probably from around 98
I was the first pro rider for Battle Mountain bikes in 1995. I snapped the head tube off the bike in the first turn at Crested Butte. I had just quit a great bartending job to chase my dream of racing pro and their damn bike breaks on me in the first race. Then my tranny blows up on the way home. What an illustrious start to my career. ;)

mgy

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
Morrison
RhinofromWA said:
Found it!

I had it saved to an old disk.

The Crestone Peak SAS bike....rubber bands and all! It is a poor scan but maybe it will jog a few memories....circa 1993-4ish Long travel in its day.
Phil Fuller and G-Money raced those bike in 1996. G-Money raced mount Saint Anne on that bike. I had a GT "boomerang" LTS with a Judy DH. A 3" travel fork and Mount Saint Anne don't go so well together!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
mgy said:
OMG I wanted that bike so bad! I thought that was the coolest design in 1993! Wow, memories!
ditto - it's still pretty fresh imo ;)

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I shot these pics today at a local race, all bikes were raced and all survived!
The winner of elite (faster than you and me) rides this old Scott:

The winner of Masters 30+ last year was ridding this bike:

The winner of the Maxxis-MSC Spanish National series Masters 30+ rides this older Orbea:

Don't know anything about this Rotwild, but here it is:

Everyweekend I see more and more "old and obscure suspension bikes." One of my buddies has a Schwinn Lawill design with a pull shock and all. I'll get some pics for yalls later. Much more to come in the following months!

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
bikenweed said:
The winner of Masters 30+ last year was ridding this bike:
Kinesis makes that frame and branded by other companies like Dagger (which is still being sold btw) and once was Ionic (Ion6).
I owned one. Pretty cool except that even a slight crosswind would make the rear end flex. Pack up some bushing replacements too while you're at it.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK

My mate has one of those, an unbranded yellow one straight from Kinesis, he got it in 1997, it's light as hell but still going strong after a pounding inc. many trips to Les Gets/morzine

I had two of those, But mine were MuddyFox Ultimate DHs (the same bikes the Athertons used to ride), Both mine were stolen :(
Anyone know if any other companies still sell them?

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Oh yeah, the Kastle is actually for sale, 500 Euros. (about $625 US) The owner has a Big Hit which he likes a lot more. While I would not recomend the bike for daily riding, it would be a cool collector's item. Buying this thing would kinda suck cuz it's a LOT of $ (like $250) to ship it across the Atlantic to a place like CA. (The bike's in Spain, and the brand Kastle is Italian) Who's got some more cool older bikes?

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
i would very much like to know, the bike chris o'driscoll, rode in kranked 3(the durango part), it had a rocker link, but the chock was directly below the bottom bracket.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Dirtjumper999 said:
i would very much like to know, the bike chris o'driscoll, rode in kranked 3(the durango part), it had a rocker link, but the chock was directly below the bottom bracket.

that bike was a buell.

alex

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
say 10 said:
I have a couple that I haven't seen posted yet

Anne C.- practice run, cleaned yard sale with just a rear rim!
Hehehe...I used my Leatherman to cut the tire off her rim that run...

She flatted right off the start of her qualifying run. Someone had the tire cut through with a pocked knife but the wire beads were too tough. I stepped in and clipped 'em then took the pic. Someone else took the tire for a souvenir

Mike

Jan 12, 2005
Lancashire (U.K)
My pride and joy.

Just started work-still living at home, hence a bit of disposable income;

92 ( I think) GT RTS team frame, Noleen shock, Manitou 2's, Syncros cattleprod stem with Answer aluminite bars, Syncros seatpost with Flite seat, Hope hubs with MK1 Hope mechanical disk brake, rear Grafton speed controllers, XT threaded headset with Gorilla lock, Topline cranks with Pace CNC rings, X Lite Ti crank bolts, Ritchey Z-max WCS tyres, Ringle bottle cage, good old XT thumbshifters, and rear mech, the 1st Shimano SPD's, Ringle TI-stix skewers.

Loved that bike, ended up selling it in bits and bought an MK1 Orange Aluminium 'O'. Also note possibly the best snowboard binding setup in the top right of the piccy-Burtons Contact binding.
Good times.

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
bikenweed said:
Obscure, but pretty rad:
G-Boxxx bike from MSC
http://www.mscbikes.com/Maxxis_MSC/Introduccio.htm

And check this old Kastle DH rig:

I hear they flex a lot and the chainstays are VERY long, but they aren't very heavy, and they are very plush. Not really a great bike by today's standards, but they were pretty popular in Europe a few years ago. Cool, eh?
Kastle makes, or do I say made, Skis.
Very schaweet bike.

Wobbler

Monkey
Jan 22, 2006
My old VR1 frame, no disc mounts and nice flexy stays when you pulled the rear brake on, not really made for the mr dirts and the other kit on the frame was pretty damn ghetto. Still wouldnt mind getting it back sometime.