Quantcast

Pisgah's Perry and Bennett are Illegal trails

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Does anyone know the logistics of the trail in Santa Barbara where they have cow bells at the top in a box and another at the bottom to deposit them in? If it's on Forest Service land, etc?

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
bizutch said:
The ideal place to layout a Dh trail would be in Dupont....but I don't know anything about that forest...it's layout, access, etc...

After watching what the British guys do to get in a DH run...my eyes a little more open.
There isnt a ton of Elevation in that Forest. However there are old access roads every where. I can think of one off the top of my head near the Cascade Lake Trail head. It is actually on the opposite side of the street from the Majority of the trail system. Leaving the Cascade Lake Trail Head you get back on the paved road, ride about 1/4 mile then head past the gate on your left. You climb up a Fire road (pretty steeply at times) turn left go across a pretty level (still fire road) then turn left again and head down a fast non technical descent and end up on the other side of the Cascade Lake Trail Head. When I get home I will check the Dupont Map and give you more details.

They move dirt all the time there with heavy machinery (they were when we were there on Thursday) Woody Keen and IMBA pretty much run that forest. I wonder if you could get an "A Line type trail built." I mean if you enter the CornSHoal Mill road from the Cascade Lake trail head, turn right and head straight towards Burnt Mountain the entire ride down (it is a very slight downhill grade) is littered with machine built woops to curb water run off. It would really only be another step in progression if you took one of those other unused roads and built up tables or something.

bizutch said:
Does anyone know the logistics of the trail in Santa Barbara where they have cow bells at the top in a box and another at the bottom to deposit them in? If it's on Forest Service land, etc?

I've ridden "tunnel" and its kinda like the Pisgah situation.
Hikers and blazing dwonhillers don't mix that well.
Anyway, i'm almost certain that it IS Forrest land and both sides have been brewing over its use for quite some time.(sound familiar?)
So basically the bike users installed a bell box at top and a drop box at the bottom .
Well, the bikers would take them and not give them back out of laziness or whatever......
The trail also has fast blind turns like pisgah and its easy to come up on other users at break neck speed which plays into the perception of outlaw bikers.

The thing about that trail is that it is a paved road to the top so its not the same as shuttling in Pisgah but the rest of the multi-use clashes are the same.

It seems to me no matter what state i may ride in that the hikers and equestrians are unified and piss and moan real bad and the DH crowd gets over blamed but are too splintered to defend the situation.
IE, the other groups blame DH's for all trail errosion and wear and tear and i gotta admit that when long dragged tire marks are apparent from braking its kinda hard to dispute that ....
That reality makes it easy for other groups to gloss over horse sh!t and hoof sinkholes but i dunno.

Loud music, disrespect for other people and bad stewardship is killing the sport.
I love to huck and go fast but thats my observation.

mtnbiker66

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
In a van down by the river.
bizutch said:
The ideal place to layout a Dh trail would be in Dupont....but I don't know anything about that forest...it's layout, access, etc...

After watching what the British guys do to get in a DH run...my eyes a little more open.
Why Dupont?All trails there are multi-use trails.Lots of horses and hikers.I'm lucky,I live 5 min from the place and can get some good rides in late in the evening(no one there).On weekends the place is covered with people. :stosh:

bizutch said:

After watching what the British guys do to get in a DH run...my eyes a little more open.[/QUOTE
If you don't know anything about Dupont why do you think it would be good for DH trails? I'm only 12 but I know suggestions like that will just get more trails closed to me. I am just glad I got to run bennet before all of this happened.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
girlscout12 said:
bizutch said:

After watching what the British guys do to get in a DH run...my eyes a little more open.[/QUOTE
If you don't know anything about Dupont why do you think it would be good for DH trails? I'm only 12 but I know suggestions like that will just get more trails closed to me. I am just glad I got to run bennet before all of this happened.
so you can ride my favorite trail as a DH run but I can't do the same on yours? ;)
What I mean is that in England they don't have shuttles or lifts but they have a very strong downhill racing scene. They push to the top... 4 to 6 minute runs and they push their bikes up to do them and don't think twice about doing it.
Dupont "would" be a nice place to layout a DH only trail, maybe not even accessible by shuttles, that will relieve pressure on other trails in Pisgah and give freeriders and DHer's a place to take their big bikes and not get in the way of the other trail users.

The other reason I say Dupont is that the Forest is still a work in progress that the Forest Service is allowing new trails to be added to, which is not the case with most any other place in the Pisgah. It has lots of old logging roads and ATV trails already in existence, meaning 1-2 could easily be converted to a terrain trail without gutting the landscape. There isn't any other place in pisgah I can think of that will allow any new trails to be added except Dupont. :)

Apr 30, 2005
Asheville,NC
I spoke to Ranger Burgess a few days ago. According to him Perry's Cove has been closed to bikes at least since the 2003( at least 2 years) revised Trails Illustrated Pisgah Ranger District map was released. According to Ranger Burgess this map is current in trail designations including showing Perry's Cove as a hiking only trail. This was news to me as I thought as many others did that the map was mismarked but a good friend with ties to the Forest Service confimed this info.

Jeremy

mtnbiker66

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
In a van down by the river.
bizutch said:
girlscout12 said:
so you can ride my favorite trail as a DH run but I can't do the same on yours? ;)
What I mean is that in England they don't have shuttles or lifts but they have a very strong downhill racing scene. They push to the top... 4 to 6 minute runs and they push their bikes up to do them and don't think twice about doing it.
Dupont "would" be a nice place to layout a DH only trail, maybe not even accessible by shuttles, that will relieve pressure on other trails in Pisgah and give freeriders and DHer's a place to take their big bikes and not get in the way of the other trail users.

The other reason I say Dupont is that the Forest is still a work in progress that the Forest Service is allowing new trails to be added to, which is not the case with most any other place in the Pisgah. It has lots of old logging roads and ATV trails already in existence, meaning 1-2 could easily be converted to a terrain trail without gutting the landscape. There isn't any other place in pisgah I can think of that will allow any new trails to be added except Dupont. :)
It's not an issue of my trails or yours( I can be in pisgah in 15 min)they are all "our" trails. There are so many horses in dupont you would have to make a trail that is bikes only.I don't see public land as a place for DH riding.I just dont think the forest service will let that happen.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
Perhaps the stigma of a "DH" trail isn't helping either. Dupont seems it could be the ideal place to make fun, albeit short, very technical, bike-only trails. Don't make them shuttle accessible. If you can't climb or walk the trails in dupont, you shouldn't be riding down them. Man-made stunts and jumps are no good either, they are just seen as big things to get hurt on. Luckily, you don't need jumps and drops to make a trail fun. Dupont absolutely has the rocky, rooty, WNC terrain that makes great trails. Simply get the trails, make them less accessible, and then only the people that really want to be there will ride them. Dupont also drains better than pisgah, and it has very established "bike" "hike" and "horse" areas. No bikers base out of hooker falls parking, and the horses are often parked over by Lake Julia or at the Lake Imaging trail parking lot. Corn Mill Shoals has been established for the place to ride, so you don't see a huge amount of horses and hikers there.

Just a thought. I will do my best to help wherever help is needed. PM me if you want my number and I'll try to get up there to help, I've built a lot, me and my friends know how hard trailbuilding is.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Most Importantly about Dupont is the relationship IMBA\Woody Keen has with that Forest. Proposed in the right way you could probably do a number of progressive things in that Forest.