Quantcast

Planning a Pisgah/Ashville Trip

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Hey guys,

Well a group of us Florida folks are planning a trip to the Asheville area for Memorial Day weekend. We will probably leave South Florida Thursday after work and arrive in the area early Friday morning. So we will ride all day Friday, Saturday & Sunday (maybe something short Monday, but doubtful). I have been to the area many times and know some of the trails, but I am looking for advice on what would be good to ride and in what order. We will be in a group of ~ 14 (intermediate to advanced riders, maybe a begginer thrown-in) and have vehicles to shuttle with. We will be a good mix of riders and would much rather ride Downhill than climb, but we aren't "Downhillers." Below is what we rode last year, so maybe you can kind of figure out the type of riding we liked.

Friday - Thrift and Sycamore Cove, I am very familiar with this figure 8 loop. I knew I wouldn't get anyone lost, and the climbing is kinda easy and the downhill(s) are fun. The faster, fitter people did 2 loops while some of the others had enough after just 1.

Saturday - We went to the N. Mills area and Parked at the Trace Ridge Trail Head. From there we pedaled up the Fire Service road to Spencer Gap, we followed Spencer Gap along the top and then descended down Trace through the trail head and all the way down to the River, Crossed it and then pedaled back up to the Trail head. From there we did Fletcher Creek, and then some of us went back up Trace and came down Spencer.

Sunday- We rode Dupont from the Corn Shoals Trail head.

Ok, this year... I would like to do some more "shuttling" not necessarily all DH type stuff, but maybe to eliminate climbing the Fire roads so much. When I say shuttling I mean leave 1 truck at the bottom and bring the WHOLE group back to the top and riding as long of a trail as possible, not making repeated short runs (but that is a possibility) I need to plan this in a way that we get as much bang for our buck. So the best bet is being able to hit as many trails in one area on a given day.

Some of my thoughts
Kitzuma - I love this trail and would like to take this group here, but what else could I do that same day? I mean I have done 2 loops there, and shuttling is just or almost as fast as riding back up the abandoned Highway. Also I do not know how to get there. Is this trail on the way into Asheville or some where else on the outskirts? If it is on the way into Ashville we could hit it Friday morning as we come into town ( we will be coming up i-26) ride it, then go check into our hotel/cabin whatever and then ride some thing later in the afternoon.

Laurel Mountain - I have ridden this trail as an out and back, up the trail to the top then turned around and took the 7 mile downhill,+ 3miles of gravel road. I have never done the Pilot Cove side. Is this trail good for Shuttling?

Brown Mountain? The pictures I have seen of this trail look like a lot of fun, deep berms, jumps etc, but is it just 1 section that I keep seeing pictures of? Is there enough riding where ever that is for a whole day of riding?

Bent Creek - the climb to the Heinous trails might be right at the limit for this group (not me!). I have done this area twice, one time I had a friend that lived there show me around and it was awsome. The next time we kinda did it on our own, we made it to the Heinous trails no problem, but seemed to miss a bunch of stuff coming down. It wasn't nearly as fun as I remembered, so maybe we missed some stuff? I am not sure.

Help me plan this trip! I have found with a group this big it is MUCH MUCH better to have a good plan laid out and then only modify it if we HAVE to (Bad weather etc) If you don't 1/2 your day will be spent arguing and deciding. I think that is it for now. I know it is a long way away, but it is never too early to plan. Also if anyone is up for riding with us/guiding the beers will be on me after.

Thanks!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
yoyoyo whats up homes. i got your pm, give me a few and ill see what i can do. you may also wanna talk with bizutch/jeremyr about some shuttling. bennet gap and places like that. ill be back in a little while.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by biggins
yoyoyo whats up homes. i got your pm, give me a few and ill see what i can do. you may also wanna talk with bizutch/jeremyr about some shuttling. bennet gap and places like that. ill be back in a little while.
wErD, no problem I figured you'd get back to me, but I was bored and wanted to get some thoughts down before I actually started working.

I have shuttled Bennet Gap before, and it is fun. But it is kinda short, maybe I could work that in as a short ride at the end of a day or in conjunction with something else? Maybe drop off at the top of Clawhammer, come down Black Mountain to Thrift, then do Sycamore, then go back to the Ranger station and start shuttling Bennet?

The whole key is trying to decide what to ride and in what order so you we are not running all over the Pisgah Forest in the trucks instead of on the bikes.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
it sounds like you know the pisgah area pretty well. kitzuma is east of asheville on I-40 about 15 minutes. in the town of black mountain. i love that trail but it sucks on a big big bike which kinda sucks because a big bike is the most fun way to go down that trail. i have some pretty horrific tales from that trail. as far as brown mountain goes, that place is off the hook. you can make a day out of it then camp and get a tour of wilsons creek area with the hick hucksters as well. if you do the 1-8-7-6-1-9 combo at brown you will get your ass worked but it is so worth it. bring a big bike for brown mountain cause that place is blazing fast with lots of hits on it. although the captain rode it on his switch ( 5 inch) with no problem he still was not able to keep up with the big bike.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
it sounds like you know the pisgah area pretty well. kitzuma is east of asheville on I-40 about 15 minutes. in the town of black mountain. i love that trail but it sucks on a big big bike which kinda sucks because a big bike is the most fun way to go down that trail. i have some pretty horrific tales from that trail. as far as brown mountain goes, that place is off the hook. you can make a day out of it then camp and get a tour of wilsons creek area with the hick hucksters as well. if you do the 1-8-7-6-1-9 combo at brown you will get your ass worked but it is so worth it. bring a big bike for brown mountain cause that place is blazing fast with lots of hits on it. although the captain rode it on his switch ( 5 inch) with no problem he still was not able to keep up with the big bike.
Cool, where is Brown Mtn in relation to Asheville?? We won't be doing the Camping thing, we are a bunch of pretty boys ya know!:D There will be a good mix of riders so we need to stay away from trails that would require a Big Bike. I am sure a few people will be on XC rigs, I ride a Heckler, and thats all I have :D

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
from asheville you will want to travel east. it is between marion and morganton. it is worth the drive and the the guys on xc bikes will still have fun. everything is rollable. it can be kind of epic due to some of the technicality of a few trails. deep ruts and stuff can be found. your heckler would be a lot of fun on it. there is some climbing involved unless you have a pretty serious rig to drive to the top. id be all about going out there with you guys maybe we can get a large ride up that day. also we go there and drive back when done. its only about 1.25-1.5 hours from my house to the parking lot.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
id be all about going out there with you guys maybe we can get a large ride up that day. also we go there and drive back when done. its only about 1.25-1.5 hours from my house to the parking lot.
You can only come if you bring your avatar girl and some of her friends. :D :cool:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
if i had that girl i would not go anywhere. id just stay home and....well you get the idea.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
We are also looking for a place to stay. Possibly cabins or something. There will be ~ 14 of us, mostly guys, so we cant be shacking up 2 to a Queen size bed.

Let the cracks begin....

But if anyone knows of a good place to stay, or has a hook-up, or a referral that will be a good price and you get a kick-back, let me know.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
Sorry, didnt catch this thread. I dont know much more than has already been said, other than you mentioned getting dropped off at the top of clawhammer, I dont think you are allowed to drive up clawhammer. Another fun, but nonshuttlable trail is Horse Cove Gap, its kind of taken over by horses, and sort of out there, but it has some killer downhills on it. Its off some gravel roads past the cradle of forestry. Trace and Spencer are always fun, as is Bennet gap, both ways down. It sounds like you have ridden about as much of pisgah as I have though.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Ok we have Hotel Accomodations..

We are staying in Black Mountain
at
Comfort INN Black Mountain
585 SR 9
Black Mountain, NC 28711

Playing with MapQuest and the info I could find it looks REAL close to Kitzuma, so I was thinking this

Day 1... driving through the night from FL (NW on 26)... stop eat breakfast some where. Then head east on 40 towards Kitzuma. Do 2 laps (shuttling). Then head to lunch and check in at the Hotel. Finally arent Sawannoa dirt jumps also in that area? I have seen pictures of the big jumps, but are there jumps there for all skill levels to play on? Well not begginers, but say Advanced technically skilled XC guys?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
well brown mountain will open back up on march 15. your staying in black mountain? i just moved there this week. kitsuma is so much fun. the swannanoa jumps are about 10 minutes from black mountain. there are some smaller sets there that are beginner oriented but can still be intimidating for people because its a twelve pack. your gonna take people that have never climbed real mountains before up kitsuma?!?your a :devil: you can actually ride your bike from where you are staying to kitsuma.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
well brown mountain will open back up on march 15. your staying in black mountain? i just moved there this week. kitsuma is so much fun. the swannanoa jumps are about 10 minutes from black mountain. there are some smaller sets there that are beginner oriented but can still be intimidating for people because its a twelve pack. your gonna take people that have never climbed real mountains before up kitsuma?!?your a :devil: you can actually ride your bike from where you are staying to kitsuma.
Come on, if we shuttle old 70 out of the picture, even if they have to walk every switchback it is not that bad! You should have seen the time we took a BUS of 26 riders on that trail. The bus had to park right by Ridgemont? So we had to climb a pretty steep but short road/on/off ramp to get to the first trail head. There were people huffing and puffing already, I knew they were gonna be hurting.

Our trip is Memorial day weekend and day 1 will be that Friday! You coming? Show us around and beer and food is on me!

I am pretty sure 1 day we will spend at Dupont. Everyone likes that area. Any other suggestions, let me know.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
did i hear beer and food? what is the date of that friday? yeah dude 2 good uphills. i ride with some guys that cruise that sh!t with no problem not a dab or even a sweat really. boombatsz pedals that on his rm-7. last time he was here we rode it in the rain. including the old 70 climb back to the car.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Finally

The time is getting near. Biggins I was concerned when I saw a picture of you in a cast at the Asheville Comp. Are you still in riding condition?

Is the "ClawHammer" ride that descends Black Mountain shuttleable?

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by T-Pirate
I think biggins is out, how long til you are up here, we can ride probably.
Cool the more the better.. We will be there the Friday AM, before Memorial Day, which is May 28th. We are staying in Brevard at the Holiday Inn at the intersection where Back Country OutDoors is. Since we will have been driving through the night we will probably want to take it slightly easy on Friday, so the more shuttling the better.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by Mtb_Rob_FL
Cool the more the better.. We will be there the Friday AM, before Memorial Day, which is May 28th. We are staying in Brevard at the Holiday Inn at the intersection where Back Country OutDoors is. Since we will have been driving through the night we will probably want to take it slightly easy on Friday, so the more shuttling the better.
yup im out for a while. however if yall come to asheville i would me more than happy to give you a tour of some of the local watering holes arounnd town

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
yup im out for a while. however if yall come to asheville i would me more than happy to give you a tour of some of the local watering holes arounnd town
No doubt, I am sure I will still call to harrass your brain. Leave the Banjo at home and I will still buy you a beer :cool: :cool:

Get better

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
No doubt, I am sure I will still call to harrass your brain. Leave the Banjo at home and I will still buy you a beer :cool: :cool:

Get better
sounds good to me, icant pick the banjo for a few months anyway.lookin forward to meetin you guys soon.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Hey bud...you're looking for a really, really long descent...one time shot.

The best bet for that is the Mt. Mitchell shuttle....relatively intermediate, super long....ends at the base of Kitsuma...then if you feel froggy, you can go ride Kitsuma as a loop.

The whole shuttle takes about 2-2.5 hours to complete. Real fun but you wouldn't wanna leave a tour bus at the top.

Fred at Pro-Bikes can tell you how best to get down it.

828-253-2800 or fred@pro-bikes.com

Biggins, can I borrow your front wheel? We're shuttling this weekend and I am waiting on my new rims to come in.

Peace,
Butch

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by bizutch

The best bet for that is the Mt. Mitchell shuttle....relatively intermediate, super long....ends at the base of Kitsuma...then if you feel froggy, you can go ride Kitsuma as a loop.

The whole shuttle takes about 2-2.5 hours to complete. Real fun but you wouldn't wanna leave a tour bus at the top.

Peace,
Butch
Sweet man, we aren't actually coming in a tour bus this time. A smaller group. That sounds awsome, cause then if we have any energy after that shuttle and Kitzuma we can hit the dirt jumps in that area.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
you'll have to park the vehice a ways down the road from the entrance to the shuttle. It leads off the parkway.

Just be sure to walk your bikes in to the woods. The rule on the parkway is that you aren't supposed to ride a bike on anything within 200 yards of the parkway. It's basicly a rule to keep them off the mountains to sea trail which parallels the parkway.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003

Biggins, can I borrow your front wheel? We're shuttling this weekend and I am waiting on my new rims to come in.

Peace,
Butch

yeah you can borrow it.youll have to come and get it though cause i cant drive

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
you'll have to park the vehice a ways down the road from the entrance to the shuttle. It leads off the parkway.

Just be sure to walk your bikes in to the woods. The rule on the parkway is that you aren't supposed to ride a bike on anything within 200 yards of the parkway. It's basicly a rule to keep them off the mountains to sea trail which parallels the parkway.
Sounds good... Want to show us the way? We would probably do this on Saturday or Sunday May 29 or 30th?

yeah you can borrow it.youll have to come and get it though cause i cant drive
Bring this guy some beer or something... I saw the pictures.. ugh :dead:

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
might can do that. got a bud who has a huge trailer and sister-in-law who would drive us. depends on what the rest of the "crew" is doing that weekend.
Sounds like a good ride, Kitzuma is bada$$ on its own, so having a long Shuttle run into it sounds perfect. Then maybe some Dirt Jumps after

Let me know... We should have at least 2 SUV's and one Pick-up truck.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC

Peace,
Butch
Fred said you are in trouble for recommending me contact him for a SHUTTLE. He said all trails should be ridden up and down regardless of the type of bike!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Fred said you are in trouble for recommending me contact him for a SHUTTLE. He said all trails should be ridden up and down regardless of the type of bike!
I don't like 3.5 hour rides that result in me climbing back up a dirt road for 30 minutes. I guess I should have warned you that if you go on a ride with Fred, bring a map, a desire to suffer and more food and water than you ever thought you'd need.....:p

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I don't like 3.5 hour rides that result in me climbing back up a dirt road for 30 minutes. I guess I should have warned you that if you go on a ride with Fred, bring a map, a desire to suffer and more food and water than you ever thought you'd need.....:p
No no no.. .That doesn't sound like fun for me either.

He gave me some basic info, but not enough that I would feel comfortable with.

Let me know if you can make it. This is the one ride on our trip that I wont do without a guide, so whatever day you can make it...

Let me know.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
You stoppin in G-vegas? You should.
Well if that is where I gotta go to get your AutoGraph:p

Seriously, my buddy and I are finishing up the plans next week, so I will let you know. The group is small enough to where we can make some changes on the fly if we have to, but having planned a few of these trips before it is MUCH MUCH better to have a plan and stick to it if possible.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
You stoppin in G-vegas? You should.

T, its not looking good for a G-Vegas stop. I completely forgot we will be passing by your area around 6am Friday morning.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
T, its not looking good for a G-Vegas stop. I completely forgot we will be passing by your area around 6am Friday morning.

Ok....well I DEFINATELY wont be up by then, so thats too bad. What time are you leaving from florida then?! Well if you decide to come down, I checked it out, you will pass within about 15 minutes of the trails.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by SpaZwEll
What are you guys plans on Saturday?

I am going to roll in late Friday night on 1206. Maybe we can catch a ride.:)
Saturday and Sunday are interchangeable at the moment depending on who is available to show us some trails. I am comfortable doing option (B) without a "guide" but not option (A). Not including Bizutch who has gratiously offered his services (possibly) I have another buddy that lives up there, that is checking his schedule. So it will either be (A) or (B) and then which ever it isn't we will be doing that ride on Sunday.

(A) Shuttle down Mt Mitchell (Heartbreak Ridge) to Kitzuma, then ride Kitzuma and last but not least stop by some dirt jumps.

(B) In the N Mills area. Leaving a vehicle at N Mills River, then going to the Parkway, riding down Laurel Mountain all the way to the N Mills, then up to Spencer Gap, across, down Spencer Branch then the lower part of Trace back to N Mills. Then possibly back up to Spencer Gap and down Trace the second time.

Ok....well I DEFINATELY wont be up by then, so thats too bad. What time are you leaving from florida then?! Well if you decide to come down, I checked it out, you will pass within about 15 minutes of the trails.
We are leaving S Florida Thursday after work, as early as possible, it is about a 12 hour drive.