Quantcast

Planning a trip to TX HILL COUNTRY. Help me plan my rides.

Feb 10, 2012
Been wanting to make a trip out to Austin and the surrounding areas for a while. Waiting for some awesome spring time weather so hopefully I'll be out there soon.

The trails I know for sure I want to hit are Barton Creek Greenbelt and Reveille Peak Ranch. Others I'm considering are Emma Long and Walnut Creek. Pace Bend looks like a fun ride as well and is another contender.

I'm probably at least going to make it a 4 day weekend trip, maybe longer if I can get away with it. So I should have plenty of time to hit them all if I really want to.

Any recommendations or advice? I know Emma Long is technical and probably a bit advanced for me, however I still feel the need to try it out, it looks pretty sweet. What kind of gear will I need? Keep in mind I use flats on my bike (with some pretty mean pins). Shin guards for Emma Long? Maybe others as well? I've seen youtube vids of guys at Emma Long with full face helmets, is that overkill? Also I only have one bike at the moment, it's a 29er full squish, are there any trails this bike won't work well for? I've been wanting to get a nice 26er full squish as well so I'll have both. Not sure how the big 29 wheel will do on something like the Super D at RPR.

I hear everyone say ride with a guide, especially at the greenbelt. Is it really that hard to find the good trails? I'm usually a lone wolf when it comes to riding, and don't know anyone in that area anyway so I wouldn't have anyone to ride with.

If there are any other gems I should hit while I'm out there let me know. What is this Thumper I've heard about??

Thanks guys.