Quantcast

Plastic pedal reviews?

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Please post feedback on any plastics you have ridden. I can never find info when I'm looking for new pedals.

Snafu - Bad. Really slick. The bow tie shaped pins are worthless. Also, these are thicker than a retards shoe, they would roll under your foot if they weren't so slick.

Stolen Thermalite - Pretty damned good. Better than I expected for plastic. Pins are big and square enough to cut a little bit though. Thinner profile than most plastics.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Atomlab-terrible, used for 2 days, on the first day, i proceeded to absolutely ruin 1 side on a SINGLE (yes 1) pedal grind that went about 2-3 feet. This may be a rookie mistake on plastic pedals, but really, 3 feet, and i have a pedal thats as good as a burger king tray?

Day 2, riding dirt jumps (on the good side) landed a jump a little nose heavy, slid off the pedals and smashed my face, 2 week hiatus to follow

nwd_26

Monkey
Nov 29, 2007
Toronto, Onterrible
I hear the Premium Slim PCs are really really weak (in the snapping sense) which is a damn shame because a thin, sealed-bearing plastic pedal is really lacking.

I like the Colony Fantastic Plastic. Light, held up really well to me, thin for a plastic pedal, and uhh....it's a pedal.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Eastern Plastics: Super solid, rode them for about a year before I wanted a different color.... Really light, grips really well when they are dry, but you get a little dirt clumped up and suddenly your feet don't wanna stick.

Shadow Conspiracy Ravagers: Been riding them for about a month and the bearings already have a pit in them, they grip well and they shed dirt pretty well, but I don't know if they are going to stand the test of time.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
Odyssey twisted pc are nice. Fly ruben pc have good grip and are broached for a 6 mm key which is nice.

mattt

Monkey
Jul 21, 2009
texas
+1 Easterns

Ive had a few pair of the Opaque (not translucent ones) that lasted a long time and were super grippy before grinds got the best of them

I have a friend who recently broke the Premium trans pedals, but his opaque black ones have lasted. I think that the clear ones are not glass reinforced and are therefore crap... regardless of the brand stamped on them.

+1 the Odysseys as well

16v

Chimp
Oct 7, 2009
Odyssey Twisted PC's. I dont ride hard, but they're pretty nice. Still spin well, grips well when dry, but a bit lacking when wet.

Zenkis14

Monkey
Sep 20, 2009
I like the Colony Fantastic Plastic. Light, held up really well to me, thin for a plastic pedal, and uhh....it's a pedal.
Same. Im riding the fantastics, I like them.

I got a set of Oddy Twisted-PC's on the GF's bike, and they are good when new, but wear down quickly it seems like.

hydro422

Chimp
May 15, 2007
Ogden City
Animal Hamiltons, good grip, they don't wear out to fast(unless of course your grinding concrete with them) and like all plastic pedals, slick when wet. I haven't had any issues with mine, normal wear and tear, and I'm on my 3rd set in 2 years.

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
weight, cheaper for sure, only 20 bills for the A lab ones i have. I would like to see metal pins in a plastic pedal
http://www.odysseybmx.com/catalog/pedals/jcpc/

they exist Demo 9.

Also stay away from Primo Stricker plastic pedals, i had to adjust the spindle right out of the box. Then the pedals completely blew up 1 month later, and I don't even ride that hard anymore.
Odyssey PC's have always worked well for me.

Randomshot

Monkey
Mar 12, 2009
Ft. Collins
ya i took my friend to the lbs to pick some up and the guy there tried telling him it didn't make a difference. i would sure as hell rather take a slam to my shin from my pc's then from some medal pedals

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
the fly ruben pc's are the best plastics i have been on. they aren't "slippery" to the touch, they are concave, and grip and wear well, 5x better then odyssey or animals offerings

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
ya i took my friend to the lbs to pick some up and the guy there tried telling him it didn't make a difference. i would sure as hell rather take a slam to my shin from my pc's then from some medal pedals
Well you should have scraped the metal pedal down his leg, then the plastic and asked which hurt less? I'd steer clear of that guy for future purchases.

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
and id rather have a pedal that properly gripped and was thin enough to not roll off my foot in the first place.

preferences...

and learning how to fall is also a big part. much like a vert skater ditching his trick to a knee slide, often times its easier to put your foot to the ground than to trust your pedal on a botched trick

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
been using the old OLD ody plastic twisteds plain black no frill el cheapos and they have been great for the last three years or so.

mattt

Monkey
Jul 21, 2009
texas
The weight difference is noticeable, and the noise difference is the most notable. A years worth of riding on aluminum pedals makes for noisy little rattlers when landing... while even the most haggard plastics are silent.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Here's a novel concept: MAINTENANCE!
Pedals rattle? Time to grease and adjust them.
Too lazy to work on your bike? Buy disposable plastic pedals!
F it, go buy a freakin' scooter....
:D

mattt

Monkey
Jul 21, 2009
texas
you're right, you're not a man unless you ride these syncros pedals while wearing shorts and flip flops

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113269

The fact that many manufacturers use a 7mm nut that doesn't exist at hardware stores, and is easily stripped keeps me from wanting to service them. Also, the inner part that contacts the spindle is often just a friction bushing (no bearing) and tends to be the cause of the loosening anyway.

ppppppppppppppth

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
or maybe we can run some Brooklyn Machine Works Shinburgers too while we're at it. That would totally be "keeping it real". Fact is, plastic pedals work just fine for A LOT of people out there, so who cares? Pedal preference is no different than any other bike part prefererence. To each their own.
http://www.brooklynmachineworks.com/parts.html

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Aw come on.

Just admit it.

You guys bought them for what they look like.

Let me ask you this: how many of you have BLACK plastic pedals? :D

I really don't care about this as much as it might seem. I've just never ridden a pair of plastic pedals that work worth a damn.

Last edited:

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
Aw come on.

Just admit it.

You guys bought them for what they look like.

Let me ask you this: how many of you have BLACK plastic pedals?
nope, they work great (fly pc's) cheap, light, better grip in my mind then aluminum pedals that are roughly the same price or a little more. In fact mine are BLACK