Quantcast

Platanos

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
or plantains......they are those funny looking things that look like oversized bananas. But please don't eat them raw. I have seen them in all types of cooking from Asian, African, West Indian, to South American....I grew up on these damn things and I love them...

maduros, when almost all of the yellow color has turned to black with yellow spots on the skin, peel it like a banana, slice it up into wedges, and fry them up in some hot vegetable oil until they are nice and soft turning them once. Take them out and let them sit on some paper towels to soak out some of the oil and enjoy!!!!!!!!!

tostones, when there are still some hints of green on the skin but mostly yellow, peel and slice into even sections about 1" thick. Dip into hot vegetable oil for about 30 seconds or when the platano starts to change color. Take it out and give it one good mash with a spoon to make it look like a thick potato chip. Put it back into the oil and fry until crispy. Let them sit on some paper towels and add salt to taste.

al horno, wrap platanos in newspaper, and go on vacation for a week and a half. When you get back, unwrap the platanos. They should be mostly black and soft. If they are not, wrap them back up and go on another vacation. Slice platano right down the middle. Do it just under the skin, not all the way through. Bake for 25-30 min. on 400. You can also put on the grill and do the same. When it starts coming out of the skin it is ready to be eaten. I like to eat them just like this without any toppings, but you can add some butter, your favorite cheese, or butter and sugar.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
mmmm....i love plaintains. I have only had them a number of times, always with cuban food. I ate some at Lario's in South Beach & they served fried plantian chips that rocked the hizzy. They are also really good cooked with brown sugar & butter too.