Quantcast

please help me decide!!!

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
I would take home the Specialized because it is more versatile. The Rush is a more dedicated racer for less technical trails, which doesn't work for me, or where I usually ride.

miked.

Chimp
Aug 4, 2009
Vancouver
thanks for the input all... i'm only more confused. i think i need to ride a few more things which is probably the best idea since neither of these were screaming out at me... just the sale price was. it's hard to know which direction to go. i rode kona for so long, i just don't know where to move next.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Be honest with you it is hard to beat Specialized. I have tried Kona, Intense, Santa Cruz and I always come back to Spec.
What exactly are you looking for strictly xc, am? How much travel do you want or need?

miked.

Chimp
Aug 4, 2009
Vancouver
i will be riding all sorts of goodness. here in toronto will be lots of xc, but when i head back to vancouver i'kk be riding more downhill. i would like as much travel as possible while still being a solid climber. basically i want a magical bike that will do everything well. :)

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
i will be riding all sorts of goodness. here in toronto will be lots of xc, but when i head back to vancouver i'kk be riding more downhill. i would like as much travel as possible while still being a solid climber. basically i want a magical bike that will do everything well. :)
On that note SXT or Giant Reign X NUFF SAID!!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
That said, I'd check out the Yeti 575 and the Giant Reign X. Both solid choices that should fit the bill.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
That said, I'd check out the Yeti 575 and the Giant Reign X. Both solid choices that should fit the bill.
the 575 will not work for what you want. It is not slack enough and it does not have enought travel for dh runs, it is an all mountain bike.
it is nice if you only did xc and some am.

spurlicked

Monkey
Oct 9, 2007
Roseville
For more All-Mountain riding, I'd also try out the Giant Reign, C-dale Rize, Yeti 575, Pivot Mach 5, Kona Dawg line. There are so many "all-mountain" bikes to choose from.
Yeti 575 tops my list. You might also look at the Scott Genius

Last edited:

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
the 575 will not work for what you want. It is not slack enough and it does not have enought travel for dh runs, it is an all mountain bike.
it is nice if you only did xc and some am. It won't handle DH runs

And it is expensive

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
it is nice if you only did xc and some am. It won't handle DH runs

And it is expensive
Wow...you're really anti-575! Have you ridden one? I personally own one and use it for all mountain, xc and some DH and I haven't had any issues riding some really aggressive stuff. Then again, my DH bike is only a 6-7" ASX (that I usually run in 6" only .25" more than the 575) 'cause I thought my 8" bike was too much.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
I'd also add the SC Nomad or the Bullit (if you don't mind the extra weight) to my earlier list of recommendations. My husband used to ride his Bullit as an all-mountain/XC bike but has added a 575 to his stable and beefed up the Bullit build for DHing.

miked.

Chimp
Aug 4, 2009
Vancouver
i feel like the 575 would be enough travel for my needs. my stinky only had 5" and it did everything i needed it to. the reign comes in at 6.7" which is huge, i've never ridden with than much travel, but i can't wait to take a go at it. from what i've read online, both are solid bikes, the reign seems to be a slight more favoured for it's DH abilities. the reign looks pretty heavy to me though... is it?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
i feel like the 575 would be enough travel for my needs. my stinky only had 5" and it did everything i needed it to. the reign comes in at 6.7" which is huge, i've never ridden with than much travel, but i can't wait to take a go at it. from what i've read online, both are solid bikes, the reign seems to be a slight more favoured for it's DH abilities. the reign looks pretty heavy to me though... is it?
You're thinking along the same lines as me. I saw that you rode a stinky and assumed you rode it for everything so that's why I suggested the 575. I really believe it's quality travel and I haven't had any issues with it not being enough travel. I personally have mine built with a 15mm QR Talas and it's amazing...still but light and I am really comfortable going up, down and hitting some crazy technical stuff in between. My 575 is really light too (26.5lbs) so it's a great climber and all-around bike (IMHO). The Reign is a nice bike for sure, but with that much travel, it's overkill for XC and I'm pretty sure it's heavier too (the one I tried was 35+lbs) so it wasn't a great climber and felt a little more sluggish to me.

Honestly, 90% of it is personal preference and how the bike feels to you. If it's at all possible, I would try to ride as many of the recommendations as you can and you'll know what feels good and what doesn't.

miked.

Chimp
Aug 4, 2009
Vancouver
yes, the nomad is another i'd like to ride. reading very good things about it as well and it's been recommended here a few times now.

miked.

Chimp
Aug 4, 2009
Vancouver
agreed... my stinky was 35+ lbs and i hated taking it uphill. of course a lot has changed since then and FS bikes seem to have been built with climbing in mind these days. this pedalpro business has got me excited. i'll ride em all if i can, but i'm confident anything between 5 and 6 inches will be enough for my needs. i want to stay away from getting too heavy... but who knows, maybe i'll hop on the reign and have my mind blown! it's that tracer vp i've got my eyes on... i just can't find anywhere around here that sells one.

miked.

Chimp
Aug 4, 2009
Vancouver
that genius is a nice option too... man, so much to ride, so little time! i'm gonna have to keep a journal to compare notes!

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Not that I am anti-575 it is just on the east coast at Diablo or Plattekill the 575 won't cut it for dh. Trails tend to be too steep and rocky plus I would not do 8-10' drops on it

seppk

Chimp
Aug 3, 2009
The enduros are light and if your not sure if youll like racing or not go with it because it is very versatile, but if you are really in to racing/ trail riding then i would go for the cannondale after all it is carbon

miked.

Chimp
Aug 4, 2009
Vancouver
definitely more a casual rider than a racer... i like to race myself if that makes sense, but otherwise, not very competitive.

8'10" drops are out of my league anyhow... i was probably well on my way there when i was younger, but then i moved to toronto, work took over my life, now i'm chicken sh*t. i am willing to bet it takes me a while before i've worked myself back up to 5' drops. haha... i've turned into such a p*ssy.

miked.

Chimp
Aug 4, 2009
Vancouver
ok, so it's been a couple weeks, and i may have found a bike. i don't have intense dealers around me, so i don't know what they are worth. what would you pay for this build?

Intense Tracer Med White no iscg tabs so 1/2 pounds lighter
2010 RP23 boostvalves
Fox Float 32 RLC 140 mm
Full X-0
Juicy Ultimate Carbon
Mavic crosstrail UST with Intense Sys 2 tire tubeless
seat chromag
truvative stylo wc bar
truvative stlo GXP black
truvative carbone seatpost
easton Ea50 stem
no pedals

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
ok, so it's been a couple weeks, and i may have found a bike. i don't have intense dealers around me, so i don't know what they are worth. what would you pay for this build?

Intense Tracer Med White no iscg tabs so 1/2 pounds lighter
2010 RP23 boostvalves
Fox Float 32 RLC 140 mm
Full X-0
Juicy Ultimate Carbon
Mavic crosstrail UST with Intense Sys 2 tire tubeless
seat chromag
truvative stylo wc bar
truvative stlo GXP black
truvative carbone seatpost
easton Ea50 stem
no pedals
New or Used? Sounds like a really nice build too! I'm not sure, but I think they are $4500+ new with that build.

miked.

Chimp
Aug 4, 2009
Vancouver
Sweet! I've known people who have bought demo bikes and been quite pleased for (maybe it's because I knew the rep and put them in contact with each other) 50% of new retail?
can i ask you, what exactly does demo bike mean? i will have to have the bike shipped to me so i can't see it in advance. should i expect a scratched up bike?

right now i'd say that it's sitting just under 50%... maybe 45%. that's assuming the price on that website is accurate, plus 13% tax added.

miked.

Chimp
Aug 4, 2009
Vancouver
can i ask you, what exactly does demo bike mean? i will have to have the bike shipped to me so i can't see it in advance. should i expect a scratched up bike?

right now i'd say that it's sitting just under 50%... maybe 45%. that's assuming the price on that website is accurate, plus 13% tax added.
and by 45% i mean 45 % off of the original price