Quantcast

Plowed

jeepmauler

Monkey
Mar 9, 2004
Lynnwood
A friend was out having a morning session at the D.J's in Finn Hill Park when the ranger showed up with a couple helpers and proceded to flatten the jumps.It was only a matter of time.That is all.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
It's going to keep happening over and over until something get's worked out between KingCo and the builders. Expect any stunts in Finn Hill to be next.
Word is that KingCo's pretty peeved about it all and is negotiating with the WTA(a hiking organization) to help take it all out. Don't think that they are not excited about helping KingCo put the hammer down either.
In-city bootlegging is about the shortest term trailbuilding out there.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
you know the saying... "build it and they will come"??

Well the modern version will soon be "Build it and they wil come tear it down......"

Time to take up jibbe walking again......

jeepmauler

Monkey
Mar 9, 2004
Lynnwood
Trying to keep the pack of 14/15 year old kids from building in the park is "almost" impossible.I've been tying for years to explain why we can't build in the park and the consequenses(sp?) of doing so and I get the usual blank stare of the teenager.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
jeepmauler said:
Trying to keep the pack of 14/15 year old kids from building in the park is "almost" impossible.I've been tying for years to explain why we can't build in the park and the consequenses(sp?) of doing so and I get the usual blank stare of the teenager.
Excatly...the blank stare. We've mentioned to them they need to follow the steps to get permisson from KingCo. but they look at us like we are too old to understand.

A couple of things:

1. Who at King Co. do we need to talk to start a dialog, it would be nice to have a place of our own, kind of like Bridle Trails (they even have a jumping park for their horses). I would be more than happy to start a dialog with King Co. parks.

2. The skinnies near the "peat bog" and the other assorted jumps/ladders down lower can not be torn down by the parks department. They are located on Bystar's land.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
What really sucks about it is that it's yet another situation where those kids probably think that they are all doing a us a favor. When, in reality, it just helps create a deeper hole to dig out of as a reputable user group. Think about all the really sketchy stunts you've ridden up on in the woods. Ones that will never make it through a NW winter. Yeah, that's not, "cool" with those w/o mortgages. And, "stick it to the man" is not just said in Jack Black movie reruns. But, it sure plays hell when you want legal freeride or DJ stuff.
Look at Southwoods for example...
The sport is maturing and we're all realizing that doing it the right way does work in the long run. The B'ham DJs are a prime example of that. Building on someone else's property will always have consequences. Hey, I've done it and lost in the long run. And, I'd like to think I learned something from it. But, I'll really have to resist swingin' a big fat ol' b-slap the next time I hear someone whining about "their" jumps being torn down by the man.

BTW: Bastyr is just looking the other way for now. Wait until the first threat of a lawsuit.
As for Ed's proper. Just spend 5 minutes with Ranger Joel Pillars(a very cool guy, but...) and you'll see that he has his collective to cover too.

If anyone wants to seriously go for this, contact Juice(Justin Vander Pol at the BBTC) and he'll be happy to have the help.

MRUFF

Chimp
Nov 18, 2003
K-town Washington
Hey those kids were doing a favor to those who like to dirt jump, where are the next closest dirt jumps?
Greenlake? Renton?
Not driving there in afternoon traffic.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
MRUFF said:
Hey those kids were doing a favor to those who like to dirt jump, where are the next closest dirt jumps?
Greenlake? Renton?
Not driving there in afternoon traffic.
How many times do you think KingCo. is going to go in there and plow them down until they just start plowing all of the jumps in the county?

A favor would have been doing it correctly so wasted time and effort wouldn't be gone.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
[rant]
So when you were a kid.... you stuck your finger in the fan.... it hurt, but maybe it wouldnt hurt the next time...so you try it again...but maybe this time in a different fan...... guess what, it still hurt. So what do you do? you learn not to go sticking your fingers in the fan. Now with all these jumps/areas being plowed.... isnt it time to start learning that tearing up peoples land is sorta the same lesson? Instead of putting all your energy into something that will one day hurt, why not try to work towards some areas that might sustain a DJ or urban stunt area? {edit: like the kids up in B-ham did].. Im no one to preach since ive been to these places before and ridden other peoples "secret" illegal trails, but ive learned not to cry over smashed dirt. Ive also never really done much to help the cause, but with work, home, and family theres not alot of time left for politics. But some of the youngins sure could be a great influence if you started to work towards legit stuff rahter than what currently happens..... Its not like all us "older" people are telling you to turn down the twisted sister, clean your room, and to pull up your baggie pants.... all that i could care less about myself, but i just get tired of hearing anyone whine about land owners taking controll of their property. Rememebr this is america....land of the sue happy citizen (or their parents), someone will eventually pay the price...one way or the other......
[/rant]

oly said:
[rant]
So when you were a kid.... you stuck your finger in the fan.... it hurt, but maybe it wouldnt hurt the next time...so you try it again...but maybe this time in a different fan...... guess what, it still hurt. So what do you do? you learn not to go sticking your fingers in the fan. Now with all these jumps/areas being plowed.... isnt it time to start learning that tearing up peoples land is sorta the same lesson? Instead of putting all your energy into something that will one day hurt, why not try to work towards some areas that might sustain a DJ or urban stunt area? {edit: like the kids up in B-ham did].. Im no one to preach since ive been to these places before and ridden other peoples "secret" illegal trails, but ive learned not to cry over smashed dirt. Ive also never really done much to help the cause, but with work, home, and family theres not alot of time left for politics. But some of the youngins sure could be a great influence if you started to work towards legit stuff rahter than what currently happens..... Its not like all us "older" people are telling you to turn down the twisted sister, clean your room, and to pull up your baggie pants.... all that i could care less about myself, but i just get tired of hearing anyone whine about land owners taking controll of their property. Rememebr this is america....land of the sue happy citizen (or their parents), someone will eventually pay the price...one way or the other......
[/rant]
Preach on brother!!!! Amen!! :thumb:

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
We need a Bellingham-style (read: legal) dirt jump park on the Eastside, but i have absolutely no clue where it could be built.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Snacks said:
How many times do you think KingCo. is going to go in there and plow them down until they just start plowing all of the jumps in the county?
I'm worried about that, too. Fortunately (please correct me if I'm wrong), the Greenlake jumps are in no danger.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Tully said:
I'm worried about that, too. Fortunately (please correct me if I'm wrong), the Greenlake jumps are in no danger.
The problem with those is that mortal can't ride them on big bikes. I could care less about BMX jumps personally. I don't ride BMX. We need some like the old 76 jumps or softies that are legal. The new park under the freeway would be ideal but the city says no. :nope:
Lets face it. Until people make lots of money of us riding our bikes, we will be second class citizens. Look at golf and Bridal Trails. Rich mans sports will take precidence.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
At Greenlake, I can ride the smallest line, plus a couple at the end, on my big bike, but most of the jumps there are definitely to hard to ride on a DH bike. I wish they would build a mountaincross track on the Eastside--something do-able on the big bike, but still really fun on a hardtail.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Here's a word or two for you folks. Duthie Hill.
Think legal DJs and maybe a mellow legal Mountain Cross. All legal and supported by the man. In King County.

Justin, the exec direct for the BBTC is pushin' this through and, as I said before, can use some help. Eastside, probably not as fast as you want to get done.(Politics) But, they'll still be there next time you go out for a session.

Feb 25, 2004
Redmond, Wa, USA
why on the eastside?????? st eds is the closest trails to me... and sicne they torn everything down at finn hill what am i gunna do???????????????? w.washington sucks, we are being developeed everywhere and there is noooo place ti build.....

I also agree that we need legal dirt jumps especially in the Kirkland area (near where I live). As such, the City of Kirkland is beginning to develope a brand new park right behind the Hougton Transfer Station. They have 2 ball fields planned but nothing else is in the works as of yet. There is more than enough room for a dirt jump park. If enough of you are serious about this, I would be more than happy to champion this through the City and neighborhood association as well as approach the BBTC to enlist their support.

One last parting thought. I am not in support of illegal trails being built although there are a lot of sports that have had to start illegally; first that comes to mind is NASCAR.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
DisgruntledCow said:
why on the eastside?????? st eds is the closest trails to me... and sicne they torn everything down at finn hill what am i gunna do???????????????? w.washington sucks, we are being developeed everywhere and there is noooo place ti build.....
Well that's certainly not the attitude that's gonna get you the trails you want .... :nopity:

As stated previously...working with the guys at BBTC who actually want to see some of the more freeride-oriented playgrounds come into existence and STAY, might actually bring this around to fruition. It's all about changing attitudes and putting in the work where it's legal and proving to the land owners that not only are things like dirt jumps and skinnies and crazy people on big bikes gonna stay, but that we're willing to do what it takes to keep our trails too.

We have secret trails for now because there hasn't been an option before. Maybe as time passes if you put in the work, you'll get to build public trails that can't be taken away.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Borneo said:
Here's a word or two for you folks. Duthie Hill.
Think legal DJs and maybe a mellow legal Mountain Cross. All legal and supported by the man. In King County.

Justin, the exec direct for the BBTC is pushin' this through and, as I said before, can use some help. Eastside, probably not as fast as you want to get done.(Politics) But, they'll still be there next time you go out for a session.
Where is this Duthie Hill you speak of? I've never heard of it.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
buildyourown said:
Where is this Duthie Hill you speak of? I've never heard of it.
Freak made mention of it once. Some sort of land area that might get a bike park on it. He didnt give too many details though since it was early in the planning..... they have to do the freeway park first.....

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Yes, Collonnades is first. And, desperately in need of volunteers to pull it off.
I know some of you went to the meetings, so, you know the players. The quicker that get's rolling(I think ground was supposed to be broken this month.) the quicker other big projects can start.
Google "Duthie Hill Park" and you should get enough info to sate your appetite.
DJs, "moderate stunts" trials section, XC stuff. Something for just about everyone but the hard core, "exits or not at all" crowd.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
buildyourown said:
If you're looking for volunteers for the freeway park, make sure you post it here. I'd be willing to help dig.
He might be looking or more than a strong back?

I have only made it to one meeting. :rolleyes: I am no shining example of how to volunteer. :o: But I think warm bodies in the planning stages helps the process move along also....and your input is appreciated.

I think I am still pissed at sitting on 520 for an hour the last time I tried to get to REI for a meeting.....I convienently forget about any other meetings.

I hate driving in bad traffic. :o: Sorry whiner Rhino is goig to shut up now.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
RhinofromWA said:
He might be looking or more than a strong back?

I have only made it to one meeting. :rolleyes: I am no shining example of how to volunteer. :o: But I think warm bodies in the planning stages helps the process move along also....and your input is appreciated.

I think I am still pissed at sitting on 520 for an hour the last time I tried to get to REI for a meeting.....I convienently forget about any other meetings.

I hate driving in bad traffic. :o: Sorry whiner Rhino is goig to shut up now.
I don't do well in diplomatic situations and I don't have what it takes to help plan more stuff. I got enough to worry about in my day to day life. Volunteering a strong back to put behind a shovel is what I have to offer. I find that digging trail is a good stress release from work. Meetings is what I do all day at work, so I don't need any more thank you.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
buildyourown said:
I don't do well in diplomatic situations and I don't have what it takes to help plan more stuff. I got enough to worry about in my day to day life. Volunteering a strong back to put behind a shovel is what I have to offer. I find that digging trail is a good stress release from work. Meetings is what I do all day at work, so I don't need any more thank you.
Hey I hear you....

It is just that to many people are willing to offer a strong back (not a bad thing at all) after the real work is done.

They were just looking for ideas and input at the one I went to and letting people know what is going down. We all have opinions......I know I do. :D

jeepmauler

Monkey
Mar 9, 2004
Lynnwood
yup.........the first "dozed trails" is always the hardest.Pretty much ruined there summer.They sat around crying into there soda's,there good now.

Hey Sven.......fly back and work for me tomarrow ya slacker!!