Quantcast

Police, firefighters and "professional courtesy".

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
As my dad and uncle said once, "Of course we invited cops to our parties, they brought the best drugs", way to many police officers are corrupt, just google Madison, CT. Our police force loves stealing lobsters, gas, and nailin hookers.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
-polite and respectful college kids (a ticket would be punishing mom/dad, not them)
I wish you worked in my town, the cops hate anyone under 18 in my town, that may be because many of the kids are very spoiled and complete tool bags. Along with the incidents stated in my previous post the cops in my town have wasted my time and tried to get confessions out of me for crimes I didn't even know about. I'm positive that if the Madison Police stopped one of their own for DUI they would let it slide. I'm not a cop hater I just hate the lazy slobs who patrol the streets of wonderful Madison, CT.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
Maybe if you paid them more they wouldn't have to steal... just sayin" :)
Trust me, they get paid more then most towns in CT and they don't do anything from September-May. And I mean they do nothing, most of their time is spent investigating their own for the most recent thing they stole or banged.

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
the whole purpose of discretion is to allow the officer to handle the situation with a level of enforcement that he/she feels will have the most impact; in other words, to bring the human aspect into law.
So in the laws you CHOOSE to enforce, how many of them include the words "to be enforced at the officer's discretion"?

... I'll wait ...

Look, I am not saying that using human judgment in a given situation is a bad thing. I am just stating that it is important to recognize that using your discretion results in an uneven application of the laws. Laws that your elected officials decided were important enough to write in the first place.

From reading your posts, I understand that you recognize this manimal, so don't taze me 'bro...

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
Human discretion in the application of the law has a lot of benefits, but it can end up where the police chief is allowed to drive drunk.

It does more good than bad for the most part, so I'm all for it.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Human discretion in the application of the law has a lot of benefits, but it can end up where the police chief is allowed to drive drunk.

wow..we agree on something? :D :cheers:

agreed, discretion does open the doors to ethical issues that robotic cut and dry policing would eliminate. ...but i'd still rather live in a world of human decision than none at all.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I thought this thread was about "professional courtesies" not discretionary law enforcement.

To me there is a difference in that discretionary enforcement is merely a rationalization of professional courtesy.

Last edited:

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
I thought this thread was about "professional courtesies" not discretionary law enforcement.

To me there is a difference in that discretionary enforcement is merely a rationalization of professional courtesy.
Professional courtesy falls within discretionary enforcement, I'm not particularly fond of professional courtesy in general, but it depends on the cop in question. I'm sure there are some cops that would nail anyone for any reason for blowing a .09, but if it was a cop that did it, they would let them go.

Discretionary enforcement should be more than what the person's occupation is. Professional courtesy is really a case-by-case thing, there are cases where a cop gets off while completely wasted, but if it is a 6 mph speeding ticket and the guy's late picking up his/her kid from school, that's different.

Last edited:

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Lets say this.

I work as a waiter.

People who used to work or more importantly work as wait people tend to tip more.

Professional courtesy.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi

Human discretion applies at every other level of the justice system, as well. Prosecutors can unilaterally decline to prosecute any crime for any reason (possibly risking their jobs, I suppose), juries can nullify, discretion can apply at sentencing, etc. It's not only about cops. And it's not only cops who get the benefit of discretion.

I think Sanjuro said it the best, frankly.

But I live in a country where the national police, or people wearing (renting, actually) their uniforms and carrying their weapons commit home invasions with AKs and grenades most nights, so I may not see getting out of a speeding ticket as such an eggregious abuse of power.

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
...But I live in a country where the national police, or people wearing (renting, actually) their uniforms and carrying their weapons commit home invasions with AKs and grenades most nights, so I may not see getting out of a speeding ticket as such an eggregious abuse of power.
Sure, but just because someone else is doing something worse doesn't excuse your own incorrect behavior.

Abuse of power is just that... abuse of power, and when humans have the ability to choose who they enforce the laws upon and in what situations, prejudices will enter into that consideration and that power will be abused. It is simple human nature.

Again, I am not saying that discretion is wrong, just that it is highly subjective. I am mostly beating this dead horse so people understand that the idea that all men are created equal is pure bull****. Some are more equal than others.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I don't think you read me. I didn't say the rest of the justice system was wrong, only that it employs discretion.

Edit: And i didn't read what you quoted.

I was merely making a statement that although the world's not perfect, having the ability to make a big deal over an authority figure getting out of a DUI puts you in a pretty good place in the world, relatively.

Last edited:
Sure, but just because someone else is doing something worse doesn't excuse your own incorrect behavior.

Abuse of power is just that... abuse of power, and when humans have the ability to choose who they enforce the laws upon and in what situations, prejudices will enter into that consideration and that power will be abused. It is simple human nature.

Again, I am not saying that discretion is wrong, just that it is highly subjective. I am mostly beating this dead horse so people understand that the idea that all men are created equal is pure bull****. Some are more equal than others.
Get used to this early on:

There is no such thing as a rational decision. The closest approximation is a subjective decision tinged with what we call rationality.