Quantcast

poll: proflex 856 or 93 stmpy fsr

Jul 9, 2008
vermilion,oh
ok guys i'm in the mood for a retro rebuild. i have an older proflex 856 with the garvin fork both with the coil over shocks and a 93 specialized stumpy fsr with a fox float rear shock and a set of old judys on the front.which one do yah think for an xc retro build? don't hold back i can take it. oh by the way i'm a 210 6ft clyde.

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
Definitely the ProFlex. I had a 454 and loved it. Can't wait to see how you do it up.

Spec has been done to death anyway.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Proflex...the goofiness of the fork and the uber lightweight frame is so rad. I almost bought one recently for an adventure race, but the dang head tube was cracked, and badly at that. Was an awesome orange ano and carbon fork version too, 956 if I remember correctly.

I keep looking for a US welded 957 with carbon stays and fork. Awesomeness!

Jul 9, 2008
vermilion,oh
ok you want pics her she is. 95 proflex 855 frame and a 97 girvin crosslink fork. im hoping to fab up a bracket for the front and rear to run disks. i'm very seriously thinking of riding a couple of xc races wtih it ths summer. we shal see. i'll keep yah up dated on the progress.

Attachments

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
if you google up the internet, there's a forum where people have previously welded disk tabs to the crosslink fork. the rear shouldn't be too hard, but honestly, if I were building up such a bike, I'd stick with V's. The difference isn't quite so huge that you'd notice it on a retro bike. If you can only own one, yeah, go with disks.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
So I just drove by a pawn shop this evening and I caught out of the corner of my eye an old Pro-Flex with linkage fork. Kind of curious what the deal is with it so I think I'm going to swing by tomorrow and see what the deal is.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I once overhauled a Proflex with a Garvin fork - so a friend could use it in an adventure race we where teaming up for. There 4 of us on the team - we had the Proflex, a Y22, Gary Fisher Joshua and some old Diamond back. As a team we sucked at everything except the XC mtn bike portion which was 20 miles of fire road- mostly down hill. We went from mid pack to first place due to the awesomeness of our rides. :)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Inclag, let me know if it's an 957 or similar...I'm after the hand welded uber-race bike 957 in medium or laaaahge. Came stock with kooka cranks and ano chainring bolts. Tits!

SM, nice on the retro adventure race.

boxxerace

Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
@ Japanese Gultch
ok you want pics her she is. 95 proflex 855 frame and a 97 girvin crosslink fork. im hoping to fab up a bracket for the front and rear to run disks. i'm very seriously thinking of riding a couple of xc races wtih it ths summer. we shal see. i'll keep yah up dated on the progress.
Woaz to the man without a spare top-hat! EBAY! EBAY EBAY!

Former 957 owner / proflex / K2 owner x several freak bicycles

boxxerace

Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
@ Japanese Gultch
if you google up the internet, there's a forum where people have previously welded disk tabs to the crosslink fork. the rear shouldn't be too hard, but honestly, if I were building up such a bike, I'd stick with V's. The difference isn't quite so huge that you'd notice it on a retro bike. If you can only own one, yeah, go with disks.
I believe there was a short run of aluminum-legged Crosslinks that had disc tabs, post Proflex days.

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
What about the Brake Therapy option for the rear?

Lucky7

Chimp
Sep 7, 2004
Chicago
ahhh....,the old Pro-Flex bikes. I had an 855, which was upgraded to the 856 front triangle. It still hangs in my hallway as a beautiful lightweight xc frame. I built it up at 24lbs when that was unheard of and that was with the oil Noleen coil rear shock. I still have a box of old parts for it, including all the old linkage fork pieces and various bits....I just never could bring myself to get rid of them :)