Quantcast

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Didn't read most of the thread, but go easy on the meds!

Whiskey's more fun, and ya still get productive toilet time in the morning...

:cheers:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Best of luck, Potroast!

I slept well last thanks to the nerve blockers...I didn't feel a thing. That has finaly worn off though. That said, right now my pain level is about a 2 out of 10.

I think one of the drugs I'm taking has a weird side effect...I am of itchy all over but there is no rash. I need to call the doc today to see what's up with that.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Paul, I've got about eight cases of homebrew that need a good drinkin'.

-IPA
-Double IPA
-Bourbon porter
-Vanilla coffee porter

Plus a barleywine, but that will be conditioning until October.

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
Best of luck, Potroast!

I slept well last thanks to the nerve blockers...I didn't feel a thing. That has finaly worn off though. That said, right now my pain level is about a 2 out of 10.

I think one of the drugs I'm taking has a weird side effect...I am of itchy all over but there is no rash. I need to call the doc today to see what's up with that.
It's probably the Oxycodone-APAP and/or Hydrocodone-APAP. Stop taking it or it will get way worse and definitely call the doc. And don't take the pain meds unless you're in a lot of pain, Save them to get you to sleep. The injury should have hurt a lot worse than the surgery. I think I took like three pills after surgery, one per night. I honestly can't believe how many meds you're on. Although, I'll be honest, I learned my lesson, for some reason, Oxycodone doesn't work any better for me than advil, I need to get the real perks. I don't know if it the additives in the generic brand or what, but with the Oxycodone, I just get mild pain relief for 20 minutes or so, but where Perks will actually numb me to the point where I fall asleep in about 15 minutes and Im pain free for over 2 hrs. Had to Fight with Blue Cross Blue Shield(these guys at least in MA ****ing suck!) to get the real stuff this last time.

Last edited:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I called the doc this morning and he says the itching is from the Keflex (antibiotic). He phoned me in a different prescription.

Also, when I got up this morning for a "nature break", I felt a rather strong pain in the back of the knee and hamstring. Doc says it's from the hamstring graft.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Also, when I got up this morning for a "nature break", I felt a rather strong pain in the back of the knee and hamstring. Doc says it's from the hamstring graft.
Yup. That'll happen. And that's ON the pain meds. I'm tellin' ya. That first time you stand up when all the pain meds are out of your system (say, within a week of the surgery) the pain you can feel when all the blood rushes to the sites where they've either cut something out or bolted something down.... divine pain. Put that off as long as you can.

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
Yup. That'll happen. And that's ON the pain meds. I'm tellin' ya. That first time you stand up when all the pain meds are out of your system (say, within a week of the surgery) the pain you can feel when all the blood rushes to the sites where they've either cut something out or bolted something down.... divine pain. Put that off as long as you can.
I had a hemovac setup overnight for one of my surgeries. Basically they run a tube into your knee to suck out extraneous fluid/blood. Then they yank it out before you're discharged similar to yanking off a bandaid except the tube is snaked into your body like 6-10". That may have been the worst quick pain I ever felt. Kind of like someone giving you an indian sunburn while you have a sunburn on the inside of your body. I'm actually having a hard time typing right now because of all the cringing.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Yes. I still have cringy flashbacks of my initial injury, and the pain of taking my first pee after the numbness went out of my leg.

I didn't take enough pills.

As for itching, when I had my first exploratory scope, they had me on morphine. That made me itch. but I quite enjoyed the scratching. felt soooooooo gooooooooooooood....

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Nice. A drive by fruiting.

My "Zimmer" splint was way low tech in comparison.

Oh, the foot cramp attacks in bed at night, you'll want to avoid those too.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Hopefully all this fruit will help me poop.
No the neatest topic, but if you are serious about this, take care of it now. Get some senocot or phillips etc and take it regularly. Unfortunately I have a fair bit of experience with surgeries (6 now IIRC) and LOTS of experience with narcotic pain meds of every variation.

7 days sans B/M does NOT feel good!!!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
No the neatest topic, but if you are serious about this, take care of it now. Get some senocot or phillips etc and take it regularly. Unfortunately I have a fair bit of experience with surgeries (6 now IIRC) and LOTS of experience with narcotic pain meds of every variation.

7 days sans B/M does NOT feel good!!!
I have started taking Phillips.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
There was a second layer of bandages that came off Wednesday (I think it was Wednesday). The rest of this comes off Sunday and gets replaced by Band-Aids.

I have to say that IAB is doing REALLY well :)

I called the Dr office today because he's consistently telling me his pain is only a 2 out of 10. AND he hasn't had any percocet since yeterday at 7am. They said it could be residual effects of the nerve blocker (which would end today) or he could just be doing really well :) So it's officially 80 hours after surgery ended and still no more pain than yesterday. YAY!!

Tomorrow we stop the morphine sulphate and go to percocet only "as needed." And he's being a very good boy doing all his exercises every HOUR like he's supposed to :)

He'll be riding again in NO TIME!! :monkeydance:

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
I have to say that IAB is doing REALLY well :)

I called the Dr office today because he's consistently telling me his pain is only a 2 out of 10. AND he hasn't had any percocet since yeterday at 7am. They said it could be residual effects of the nerve blocker (which would end today) or he could just be doing really well :) So it's officially 80 hours after surgery ended and still no more pain than yesterday. YAY!!QUOTE]

That's great! This time next week, I'll be in the same boat and I was really not looking forward to it. Hopefully mine will go as well as his.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I had my first PT this morning. It really couldn't have gone much better. PT Boy said the knee looks great and I am ahead of the curve as far as movement goes. I've got full extension, 95 degree bend (goal for week one is 90), and I can "fire" my quads nicely. The best news though is that I can now take the leg brace off when I am lying around on the couch.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
nice work. I've since lost my scope holes, but the incision scar is still white.

The bolt head stands pretty proud of the rest of my tibia. Kinda cool...

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Update, 'cause I know how concerned you all are:

Today is 16 days past surgery. The knee bends to 120 degrees. I am down to one crutch. My therapist completely unlocked my leg brace. I have been told to keep the brace off when I am home, but to wear it when I am out of the house. I'll be completely rid of it next week and off the crutches not much longer after that. They told me to stop favoring that leg, and that the crutch is only there to help balance.

All in all, things really couldn't be going any better. Rehab has not been painful at all. I mean, there are "ouch moments", but trying to get my knee ready for surgery was way more painful.