Quantcast

possible fall guy build, opinions?

N

nbrocks

GH im going to be building up a new tonic fab fall guy, its the first frame Ive built up and i just want to know if you guys see any problems with compatibility or just parts that youve had problems with. im probably going to be ordering this stuff before christmas. if you see anything that i might be able to changfe for something cheaper but wouldnt compromise strength, quality, etc, it would be appreciated, my total the way it is $1793.61 and would like to try and get the price lower if i could. if it makes i difference im not to big, 5'8 140 lbs so here are the specs:

Frame: Tonic Fab Fall Guy
Headset: FSA Impact, and painted(included with frame)
BB:Profile Mid for 3/4" spindles, painted (inc with frame)
Front brake: Oodyssey evolver u-brake, red
Rear brake: Odyssey evolver u-brake, red
Levers: Avid Speed Dial 7
Cables: Avid Flak Jacket
Front rim: FUNN 24" Triple Box Rim, 36h, Blk
Rear rim: FUNN 24" Triple Box Rim, 36h, Blk
Spokes:
Nipples:Wheelsmith 14 Guage Alloy green set of 36x2
Front hub: Dimension 20mm Front hub
Rear hub: Odyssey Hazard 36hole
Front tire: Nokian xxx 24” 2.3 tire
Rear tire: Nokian xxx 24” 2.3 tire
Stem: Blackspire Big Block Stem 31.8
Handlebars: Blackspire Riser Bar 2” rise 31.8
Grips: Federal slim grips
Chain: kink fat boy chain
Cranks: Eastern Pro Crank AMERBB 175mm Black
Seat post: Atomlab GI Seatpost
Saddle: united seat white
Fork: 06 Nemesis project tuned Z.1
Pedals: odyssey cielencki custom
Front Tube: Quality Tubes Quality 24" x 2.1-2.3" Schrader Valve
Rear tube: Quality Tubes Quality 24" x 2.1-2.3" Schrader Valve

BTW, im just going to get my LBS to get me some spokes cuz im not sure what length i need

phlegm

Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
Whistler/Vancouver
unless you case everything you try, ditch those rims. and while you're at it, ditch the heavy ass nokians too. they're like lead.

also, im not sure that your levers are going to work out that well with your brakes. and if indeed you are planning on a front brake, you surely aren't going to mount an evolver on a z1.

otherwise it sounds ok. i dont really know all those parts that well but blackspire stems aren't exactly known for being light either... i personally would use a holzfeller stem and a truvativ team bar, but that's preference.

N

nbrocks

good point about the z.1 and the brake, but if you say to take parts out, lets hear some suggestions for new ones lol

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Front brake: Oodyssey evolver u-brake, red
Rear brake: Odyssey evolver u-brake, red
Cables: Avid Flak Jacket
Front rim: FUNN 24" Triple Box Rim, 36h, Blk
Rear rim: FUNN 24" Triple Box Rim, 36h, Blk
Front tire: Nokian xxx 24” 2.3 tire
Rear tire: Nokian xxx 24” 2.3 tire
Stem: Blackspire Big Block Stem 31.8
Handlebars: Blackspire Riser Bar 2” rise 31.8
Chain: kink fat boy chain
Evolvers won't work on the frame. You need a V-brake, like a Shimano Deore or Avid SD. I would recommend an Odyssey Linear Slic cable instead because it doesn't tangle. They also won't work on the fork, you need a disc for the front. I wouldn't run a front brake though. For the kind of riding this bike is designed for you don't need one.

The rims are IMO overkill for you. I'd get Sun Rhyno Lite XLs. At your weight it's all you need. The spoke length for an Odyssey Hazard and RLXL is 235mm on both sides for 3X, I just built mine. Anyways, when you buy spokes you can cut 'em at the LBS because they should have a Phil Wood spoke cutter.

For tires, I'd go Kenda Kniptons or K-rads. They're cheap and good.

The stem doesn't matter. Get a Sette or Powertools to keep it cheap, and a set of basic 25.4mm riser bars. You don't need 31.8mm at your weight, and it'll be a lot cheaper/lighter w/ 25.4mm.

I'd go for a regular, not a fat chain. Fat chains are expensive and heavy. I'd get a KMC Pistle half-link so you can adjust your wheels.

The rest looks pretty good, on the cranks though I'd consider Profiles/Maderas. They're the standard.

N

nbrocks

ok, updated list:

Frame: Tonic Fab Fall Guy
Headset: FSA Impact, and painted
BB: Profile Mid for 3/4" spindles, painted
Front brake:
Rear brake: Avid Single Digit 7 Rim Brake
Levers: DIATECH BONANZA BRAKE LEVER
Cables: ANIMAL ILLEGAL LINEAR CABLE (49”)
Front rim: Sun Rims Rhyno Lite XL 24
Rear rim: Sun Rims Rhyno Lite XL 24
Spokes:
Nipples: Wheelsmith 14 Guage Alloy green set of 36x2
Front hub: Dimension 20mm Front hub
Rear hub: Odyssey Hazard 36hole
Front tire: Maxxis Holy Roller Tire
Rear tire: Maxxis Holy Roller Tire
Stem: Deity components stem (white)
Handlebars: Deity Components Handlebar
Grips: Federal slim grips
Chain: Kmc half link chain
Cranks: Eastern Pro Crank AMERBB 175mm Black
Seat post: Atomlab GI Seatpost
Saddle: united seat white
Fork: 06 Nemesis project tuned Z.1
Pedals: AZONIC A-FRAME
Front Tube: Quality Tubes Quality 24" x 2.1-2.3" Schrader Valve
Rear tube: Quality Tubes Quality 24" x 2.1-2.3" Schrader Valve
Chainwheel profile imperial chainwheel (anti-freeze green, 30t)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Looks good. I would probably go for the Odyssey Linear Slic instead of the Animal, though. I've heard bad things about about the Animal.

N

nbrocks

ok im gonna get some profile 3 piece cranks with it... last thing, i can get some atomlab trailpimp dhr hoops for 39.99, are those better then the rhyno lite xls?

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Stick woth Ryno light XL's there welded and machined , were the AtomLab rim are jsut pinned and tend to come apart after hard landing's

front brake on the Z-1 is going to have to be IS disk brake only .
Marzocchi hasent offered rim break mounts for a few years .

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
I've got a set of the FUNN 24x36, same wheels as in the first post, just swap the rear hub to a dmr. i went with the funns cause thats the wheelset i learned 3's on, and they taken the abuse flawlessly. if i were to do it all over agian i'ld stick with the funn in the back but go for a ryhno lite LX ft.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Sounds like a really solid build. Like Brad was saying, RhinoLite XL's will work great. I'm 225lbs and have used them the past year w/out problems.

Nit-picking stuff:

DT spokes w/ brass nipples. Those green alloy nipples will look cool but I used to run alloy nipples and they can break pretty easily. I also found you can't tighten them up as well as brass. From what I've read and my experience DT spokes are the way to go. Champion's (single gauge) are cheaper and might be more durable.

I love the Maxxis Holy Roller for the front but it's a big tire (unless you're going w/ the 24x1.85's). I'd say K-rad or Kiniption on the rear in the 24x2.3 size. You could probably go smaller on the tubes to save weight.

Definitely post some pics when you get it built - sounds like it will be a rad little bike.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Looks like a great build, there are still things you could change to reduce cost & weight but they are all preference type items. Holly Rollers are huge tires and I think you might be better served by others. The Macneil seat and post combo is probably about the same price as what you have listed but will be signifigantly lighter and there are no rails to bend. You could save some money on pedals especially if you are hard on them, I have found it is better for me to simply buy unsealed pedals and change them more often.

www.unionstreetbikes.com