Quantcast

Possible WG trip on the 23rd (Date change)

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Need to dial in a bike before the first race at the "Shoe", so I'm looking to go out on either one of those Saturdays (16th or 23rd). Right now I'm leaning toward the 16th.

Any interest?

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I'm picking up from Bearmntpicnic the MoutainCycle Shockwave....Putting my 888 Works on it...

Going to put the old Sherman 1.5 back on the IH and set it up for my son...

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
I have that rig also!

You will love that thing. Best Dh rig I ever owned. Run her really soft. She will not bottom. I have not bottomed her so far.........I swear that thing is like rides like a 125! What kind of rear wheel are you running?

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
Thru axle?

If you have the thru axle you may want to call MC and get the QR drop outs. Now you can run a regular MTB QR wheel as a back up, in case to taco the thru axle wheel one weekend/race. Just pop the QR drop outs on and rock any regular rear wheel. One of the cool things of that frame!

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Now that is SWEET! (Yeah, Thru-axle) I know they were reorganized, but right now the website is not quite active yet. Denjen gave me a link to MTBR where the MC guys answer questions and information and the like.

I just felt I need burlier bike underneath me. Even when I'm at weight, its still around 210-220 ish....The IH has served me quite well, but after a few runs this past weekend, and the race at Massanutten, I have finally nailed down soem iof the issues I seem to be having.

While my riding has improved, it only has marginally. I finally narrowed down the fact the SGS is "twitchy", if that makes any sense. I think the geometry is a bit off for me, especially after adding the 888...I rode Corby's MC, only for about a mile or so on one of the knob adventures, with the same fork, and it felt considerably more stable, more substance to it.

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
Those are the keys!

The 9.5 head and shoulders above the SGS. I have both exact bikes. The SGS is a freeride bike and does not have the angles of the 9.5 plus, the 9.5 has a longer WB and chainstays plus the thru axle that makes it much stiffer which is better for cornering and rock gardens.That said, it will be a little sluggish at slower speeds b/c of the above so you need to keep your speed and you are all good!

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Well, the stability will lend itself to the confidence of the bike at speed. Thats the thought anyway....With my size, cornering in some instances has been a bit awkward at best. The racked out angle of the SGS due to the fork had me cornering way too relaxed. I only found that out last summer when Jeff (From Charlottesville) followed me on the berm side from last year. after a bit of dissection, therein was/is my problem.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Ralph, don't listen to SDH, he gets all he knows about the Shockwave from me!!!! j/k Steve....

Anyways, yeah, I turned him onto the bike last summer, as I had gotten hooked in with the MC crew a few years ago. You know me, as I hang around the Snowshoe crew a bunch at races (all black 9.5 w/ 888rc2x on it........was at massanutten a few weeks ago).

Anyways, ask any question you'd like, I've been running my 9.5 for two seasons now and it's pretty solid and dialed in.......took me a bit of trial and error though, don't make the same mistakes I did.

As for my setup, I'm running the 'zocchi stuff front and rear, 888 up front and a Roco in back. The DHX will work great on that frame, as it has served Steve very well thus far. I'm running a 600lb spring on my roco (fox spring, btw) and weigh in at about 245 lbs. I could probably drop down to a 550 and be happy, but the 600 feels pretty good right now. Run your bars as low as you can get them, the front end will feel high with the 888. Stay centered over the bike in most turn, it'll carve just about anything you can hang on for. The bottom bracket might seem high on paper, but once you sag it out (it's meant to run soft like SDH said) it'll feel spot on. Lastly, ride it like a dirt bike.......I forget that I am not riding my KTM every time I am on my 9.5!!! Oh, one last bit, run a meaty 2.5 in the rear......a 2.7 is to tall, though it clears in width, it'll buzz the yoke in the swingarm.

What brakes you running? I just started running Magura Gustav's last season and will never go back to running anything else on my dh bike. Weren't you having trouble with your Juicy 7's at Snowshoe last summer??? Hit me up next time you see me, take a spin on my rig and feel free to ask any questions about the bike. I've been running Mtn Cycle for a while now, so I have found the quirks and fixes to them!

(Edit).....do yourself a favor, get the spare QR drops that SDH mentioned, but don't use them as your main wheelset/setup. The bike is super solid with a 12mm thru axle. Also, try the bike without the floater that BearMtn had on there before you decide to leave it for good.......I've gone without mine simply because it hangs low and is prone to damage rather easily!!! I'll run it if the course is super nasty with bomb holes & braking bumps before every turn, but otherwise it isn't really needed.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
How much steerer tube do you and Steve have on the MC?
Just measured the steerer tube on my 888. I'm running the 'zocchi integrated stem and a FSA Pig Dh pro headset (31mm + stack height), so my steerer tube is 7.5" (roughly). I would say a safe bet with a conventional stem would need to be 8" at minimum.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Thanks. I was a little worried when I saw the head tube length. Cool, I'm good, I have 8 1/4"...

Thanks!
Yeah, you should be good to go by a long shot! Also, if you don't already have it, I would suggest running the 'zocchi direct mount stem on your 888. For starters, it's always straight......even after a nasty OTB Snowshoe crash (personally tested....many times!!!!).

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
OK, I did in fact become the proud owner of a MountainCycle Shockwave 9.5......So, my 888 looks good on it. Got my saddle on it. Scrubbed and cleaned it....cleaned up nice...

Will have a pic up soon....Now, I need to figure out how to set the damn shock...It has a 500lbs spring, so I should be OK there....

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
OK, I did in fact become the proud owner of a MountainCycle Shockwave 9.5......So, my 888 looks good on it. Got my saddle on it. Scrubbed and cleaned it....cleaned up nice...

Will have a pic up soon....Now, I need to figure out how to set the damn shock...It has a 500lbs spring, so I should be OK there....

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...

BAXTER

Monkey
Jun 25, 2005
THE BURG but missing BOSTON
Yo Ralph you may want to get a heavier spring. I 'm running a 600 lb. spring with 150psi and even that is pretty plush. 500 lb. spring is good for someone in the 150 to 180 range. Even though I lost 40 lbs. and am down to 180, the 600 is still on the bike. Changed it out for the 500 and never left the yard with it until I put the 600 back on. Just something to think about. See you guys in Sept. when I get back from the Shore. :banana:

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Thanks. Fox was telling me the 500 would work....but the jury is still out on that....Actually, I figured 550......

Thanks for the heads up.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
SK6, for what it's worth I am running a 600lb spring on my 9.5/Roco setup and I weigh just a shade under 245 right now. The 9.5 is made to run a lot of sag and it really helps to keep the rear wheel glued to the ground.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Hulkamaniac, what tire combo are you running? And, how bad is your brake jack?
Tire combo is Kenda Blue Groove 2.7 on the front and Kenda Nevegal 2.5 on the rear. I also keep a 2.5 Nevegal ready to go for the front just in case, as well as a set of mud tires. For the most part though, the blue groove/nevegal combo is awesome.....big cushy tire up front to plow with.

Brake jack, ehh, I can't say that I really ever notice it. My first dh bike suffered bad brake jack (Tomac 204 Lawwill), but I got used to it. In terms of the braking on the 9.5, I can tell the rear stiffens up a little if it's a extremely rutted or bumpy turn I am braking into.......otherwise it's not noticable. The 9.5 doesn't have "brake jack" per say, rather it just stiffens a little, but doesn't seem to hinder performance. I've run the floating brake setup a few times and while it keeps the rear end active under all types of braking situations, I have managed to mangle the thing up a time or two. I bent it back for a race the first time, but completely took it off the second time and haven't switched back yet......mainly cause performance with the non-floater dropouts is pretty good to begin with.

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
S6

Hulk is correct, the suspension tends to squat a little but it is not that bad. I had a bullit and I can tell you that it is much less than the bullit. It actually serves as a reminder to myself, one it begins to stiffen....... I say ooops........ time to get off of the brakes.

Tires are usually condition dependent. The rear of the frame has some nice clearance so you can run probably about a 2.7 with no issue.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
S6

Hulk is correct, the suspension tends to squat a little but it is not that bad. I had a bullit and I can tell you that it is much less than the bullit. It actually serves as a reminder to myself, one it begins to stiffen....... I say ooops........ time to get off of the brakes.

Tires are usually condition dependent. The rear of the frame has some nice clearance so you can run probably about a 2.7 with no issue.
you ready to sell your 9.5 yet? my fury misses his big brother.