Quantcast

Power meter; yay or nay?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
So, assuming my wheels sell for kind of close to what I'm asking, I'm debating between buying either an SRM or a set of lighter tubies (303s). I've heard 2 comments way more often than others regarding power meters:

1) Unless you're a cat 2, you're only training should be riding more.
And
2) I wish I wouldve had this thing a long time ago.

What say you guys?
Not interested in other power meters.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
It's only useful if your going to get a coach, or spend the time to learn how to use it. And don't listen to those people that tell you heart rate is irrelevant if you're training with power...they're idiots. You'll probably get a grand for your wheels.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I see the merits of it, but I didn't really use mine.

That said, I don't ride the tubulars I traded mine for. :(

I've just relegated myself to being sub par.

The Cat 2 deal is for people to feel good about themselves. How do they think people get good enough? I know at least five 3s that started training with power and are winning races. I don't think a coach is imperative, but discipline is. I didn't have that, so it did me no good.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I'd say it'll only be novelty if you're serious about getting faster and you either know how to use it or have a coach.

The idea of it sounds cool, and it's cool to see what you put out and compare it to the pros, but after that it'll wear off unless you're actually using it.

One thing it did for me was it helped me find 'dead' spots in my rides. I found myself subconsciously easing off a little when hills would become less steep; the power meter let me know that was happening and I'd be able to keep my wattage up. Also, when I'm tired, me RPE would go up at the same wattage; again the power meter helped keep me honest.