Quantcast

Press release of Driver 8

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I dunno, they say it's designed to get thrashed at whistler but it has a carbon link. Last year it was stated as fact by ridemonkey's sophomore engineering class that the carbon link was a bad idea and it was guaranteed to break . . . oh wait, never mind.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Does it take a front derailer? No. Its not a do all bike.
The same people who are going to complain about a front derailleur probably still have the seat tilted back on their trail bike and would walk any challenging climb anyway.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Pfft... Front mechs are overrated. None of my bikes have had one for the last 10 years.
Come ride with me, my do all bike, and without a front derailer. ;) You wouldnt have much fun.

My version of a do all bike has to have a front derailer. We have to get to the top of our trails. I rigged up a front derailer on my Socom even.

Last edited:

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
Can I use the Truvativ Hammerschmidt on the Driver 8?

Yes, it is Hammerschmidt compatible. Unfortunately, pedaling performance with the hammerschmidt will be compromised a bit, as the Driver 8 is designed around a 36-40t chainring, but this will bother some people more than others. This may be a good option for riders climbing up smooth fire roads and descending steep downhill trails from there, or some similar situation. In general, if you are sensitive to how a bike behaves under pedaling, you probably won't like it. If you just want to get up a hill, and don't care what it feels like, give it a try.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Its suspension isn't designed around a granny ring :clue:
Have a machined 36th ring to fit the hammerschmidt and remove the one in it! A gide can be moved backwards to allow for the chain to go in. Chris and I have been going over this for the Jedis for a couple of months and hes got a guy thatll machine a new ring to fit. Bump up to a 34th to get it close enough to react right.

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
Have a machined 36th ring to fit the hammerschmidt and remove the one in it! A gide can be moved backwards to allow for the chain to go in. Chris and I have been going over this for the Jedis for a couple of months and hes got a guy thatll machine a new ring to fit. Bump up to a 34th to get it close enough to react right.
Wouldn't that be a 36t small ring then?? IE the ring size of hamme**** is the small ring equiv??

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Wouldn't that be a 36t small ring then?? IE the ring size of hamme**** is the small ring equiv??
Theres 1 drive ring that the chain goes around the rest is internal. The ring the chain goes over is like 22 or 24 tooth. 36 is a middle ring! Have a bigger ring equivelant to a 34th and have the internal specss the same so it can replace the small ring.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Come ride with me, my do all bike, and without a front derailer. ;) You wouldnt have much fun.
Yeah? I dunno man, if require gearing smaller than what's on my bike, then pushing is usually just as fast.

Front deraileurs are overrated.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Yeah? I dunno man, if require gearing smaller than what's on my bike, then pushing is usually just as fast.

Front deraileurs are overrated.
Pushing on steep fire roads for 5-10 miles is not fun. Id rather be in a granny or 2 or 3.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Yeah I, like Toodles havn't run a front mech on any bike for ten years, but we don't ride up five mile hills.
The reason they're talking about changing the Hamerschmitd gearing is to change the chain output position so it has the chain line the bike's designed for, not to change the gearing for gearings sake.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Theres 1 drive ring that the chain goes around the rest is internal. The ring the chain goes over is like 22 or 24 tooth. 36 is a middle ring! Have a bigger ring equivelant to a 34th and have the internal specss the same so it can replace the small ring.
Uh, it doesn't work that way. There is no reduction gear. If you put a physically 34t ring on that thing you'll have a 34t and a 52t equivalent.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I dig it. I wish i knew when it was coming out, I'm in the throes of picking out a new frame and this kind of fits the bill.

Can anybody comment as to how this compares to the socom, for curiousity's sake?

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Has anyone peeked at the geometry numbers?

67*HA, 14.5 BBH, 17.4 CS.

Sounds a little funky to me. I completely understand not running a super slack HA and retarded low BB (though I wish they would), but numbers like that equate into a bike that is good pretty much nowhere. Twitchy at speed and top heavy when cornering hard means high speed won't be as fun as it could be. Longer CS means riding tight shore style trails won't be too fun, either.

It looks like a real cool setup, but numbers like a Socom would be much more justifiable than those.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
My glory 0 had a 67 degree HA, 14.5BB, and a 17.5 CS, and I ran a 36x11-32 and could climb just about anything. It was a slight detriment in super steep sections, but it was pretty easy to move around through technical sections, and it did everything at northstar very well, if not necessarily excelling on livewire or karpiel. It also worked well at my local "FR" spots that I'd shuttle about 3/4 of the time, pedal the rest, as well as an occasional "XC huck" ride.

It didn't excel at pure DH, there are better bikes for jumping, there are better bikes for XC, but there weren't really many bikes that could do everything as well. It was much more stable and less twitchy then a reign X, SS, nomad, etc on the DH's - it felt much more firm, planted, and tracked a lot better. I like the idea, it was a great bike. Of course, now I'm on a bike with a longer WB, a 13.8 BB 17.1 CS, and a 65 degree HA so I guess if were talking where my money is...

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA

Sounds a little funky to me. I completely understand not running a super slack HA and retarded low BB (though I wish they would), but numbers like that equate into a bike that is good pretty much nowhere. Twitchy at speed and top heavy when cornering hard means high speed won't be as fun as it could be. Longer CS means riding tight shore style trails won't be too fun, either.

It looks like a real cool setup, but numbers like a Socom would be much more justifiable than those.

About the same as the v10. Though the v10 will slacken out a bit more under sag. But the chainstays are the same and the wheel base is within an half inch of the v10.

It looked ugly to me at first, but after taking a second look I actually like it.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...

Have to agree in many ways...I'm a huge SC homer, but I was just thinking about a Mongoose Pinn'r and how it compares...The Pinn'r has a 66* and 13.9" BB and 190 mm of rear travel. I would even guess that the frame is a little lighter, but not sure. Also not sure about what fork the Pinn'r is measured with, but it's something like a Totem or 66. That said, I suspect SC won't have any trouble selling everyone they make.

As for the V-10, it gets pretty low when sagged out at 40% (or more), but I wouldn't think the Driver would need that much sag (and thus still be a little on the high side).

Last edited:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Again, classic ridemonkey example of reading more into the numbers then into the ride itself.

Numbers don't always tell the story. If you go strictly by the numbers, the Large Glory was unridable by anyone under 6'7, but that was not the case at all.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
surely the pulley on your jedi cancels the need to modify the hammershmidt chainrings

something SRAM may want to think about in future is having the h/shmidt chainguide set so it guides the chain onto the ring from a higher position than the chainring.. so its more compatible with the majority of frames out there

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
surely the pulley on your jedi cancels the need to modify the hammershmidt chainrings

something SRAM may want to think about in future is having the h/shmidt chainguide set so it guides the chain onto the ring from a higher position than the chainring.. so its more compatible with the majority of frames out there

seems like you could do something similar to the jedi pulley, with a boomerang, a couple pulleys and some creativity.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Again, classic ridemonkey example of reading more into the numbers then into the ride itself.

Numbers don't always tell the story. If you go strictly by the numbers, the Large Glory was unridable by anyone under 6'7, but that was not the case at all.
It's not like I am evaluating leverage curves, wheelpaths, pedalling/braking performance, etc. This is purely handling characteristics based on experience with other rigs.

I can estimate the dynamic numbers of that bike with about the suggested sag, then use those numbers to compare to other rigs I've ridden and enjoyed, or despised. That is the point of posting numbers - boss. It is an indication of about how the bike will handle compared to others on the market. This bike will steer more quickly than an 8" bike with 65* HA. BB height is more difficult to speculate ride characteristics, but I do know that this bike will not sit as deep into turns as others w/ lower static BB heights and 8" travel.

I like SantaCruz and I think they build great bikes, I just don't think the geo of this rig is as modern as it could be if they're marketing it as a daily duty DHer/DHinfluenced FR bike.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Wow. I am as big an internerd as a lot of you but some of this is really ridiculous.

SCB is not claiming this is a "do it all" bike. The press release is pretty clear it'll shine as a gravity/park bike, with slightly snappier handling and nothing more than the limited ability to get you up a climb a little better than a regular DH bike. Knock yourselves out trying to categorize it if you want.

And as for hammerschmidt, I can only imagine the reaction here if the suspension layout was optimized for peak performance in the granny ring.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
I see they are offering it with a fox dhx rc4 upgrade. Anyone have any insight on that shock?

Frame is 10.5 lbs with shock.

Last edited:

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
correct me if I am wrong...but do you not see kurt voreis absolutely ripping it up on one of these in NWD 9? looked pretty awesome, but then again it is kurt voreis.