Quantcast

problem with Giant DH comp rear end???

dirtslayer

Chimp
Jul 21, 2008
socal
So i have a 2005 dh comp, and i just bought some atomlab pimp wheels{after destroying my other rear wheel}, i had it built by my shop, but it hits the frame on the drive side. So i did a little research and found out that some people have used the "zero dish" idea, which apparently centers the rim over the hub flanges only, no the whole hub width. My old wheel was crushed and i couldnt tell how it was dished, but it was centered in the frame when i was riding it before. I used the Frame alignment gauge, and it shows that the rear triangle is off? but is this the way the bike is supposed to be? any help would be awsome since i have tried to ask everyone.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Find a friend with a bike that has the same hub spacing. Mount the wheel on that bike and see if it's not centered. If it hits their frame or is closer to one side, then you have a problem with the wheel build. Or you could mount a known good wheel from your friend and see if it does the same thing as your atomlabs. If it does, then I'd suspect a problem with your triangle. You should also be able to do this at your LBS.

From my understanding of wheel building, the dish is set to the hub dimensions not the bike. I've built several wheels to that way and have never had a problem. I'm not too familiar with your bike but it goes to reason that you should be able to install any commercially available rear wheel and ride away. If everything was custom, they'd have a hard time selling wheelsets.

No need to bump a thread that's only a few days old and still appears on the front page of this section. People see your thread when the look through the site. It's just they may have nothing to contribute.

Hope this helps and welcome to ridemonkey.

dirtslayer

Chimp
Jul 21, 2008
socal
:banghead:alright, thanks for the info.. but it still doesn't answer me fully. i understand the wheel needs to be centered in the hub flanges, but what if the flanges are designed to be to the drive side more. that would make the wheel have to sit to the non drive.....ah, im just gonna by the weapon-x from versus....

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
No. The rim does not need to be centered on the hub flanges. On a 135mm spaced rear hub, it is usually centered at 67.5mm from the hub bearing locknut. When talking about wheels and hubs, the flanges are where the spokes thread through, not the part that contacts the dropouts.

On a rear disc hub, you have to dish the wheel correctly taking into account the cassette spline shaft and the portion where the rotor bolts onto. The only time I could see centering a rim by the flanges is when lacing a non-disc front wheel. Hope this clarifies it a bit more.

dirtslayer

Chimp
Jul 21, 2008
socal
ya, i still dont think were hearing each other. Say my bike has a 135 rear end. And 67.5mm is center of the hub. But, the center line of the bike is not at 67.5 on the hub, its more to the non drive side, maybe at 55mm and then at 80mm on the drive side with the rim centered at 55mm and 80mm..............does that make any sense??

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Now I understand your problem. Look around for a wheel builder with good credentials in your area and have them relace it your atomlab. Most likely, if they are unfamiliar with your bike (as I am), they may ask you to leave your bike so they can custom the build. If you LBS can't do the custom work, they should know someone reputable.

dirtslayer

Chimp
Jul 21, 2008
socal
:clapping::clapping:here is the real deal, i just spoke with the head tech at Giant, he said the DH Comp has an assymetrical frame and the wheel needs to be dished accordingly....THIS IS FOR ALL DH COMPS.

ph4se_1

Chimp
Jun 17, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
friend of mine had the same problem.got a wheel built and dished,fitted it to the bike and it rubbed the frame.the swingarm is offset and so the wheel needs to be dished accordingly.

rancho_race1

Chimp
Mar 5, 2007
i have a DH team, same thing as the comp. built my wheels true on a stand, then i mounted them on the bike and dished them on there, then threw it back on the stand to get little kinks out.

i love my giant =]