Quantcast

Problems wearing goggles / prescription glasses?

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
Season before last I wore just my prescrption glasses for DH @ Northstar. The dust was terrible on my eyes. I swore this year I would use goggles. Purchased a set of OTG (over the glasses goggles) and had a couple of issues. First the top section of my Helmet hit the top of the goggles in turn pressing on my nose making it hard to breathe. Next it felt like I was looking thru bonoculars and found myself almost crashing a few times on one run. What to do ? Thanx

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Addidas do a prescription insert for the Yodai & Burma (from memory) model goggles. It sits just behind the main goggle lense.

Kinda hard to explain & I was sceptical as to whether it would actually work, but I can safely say it does very well :)

They arn't cheap, but they are comfortable.

Oakley also do some OTG goggles if that helps?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Have you tried getting contacts?
I just did this a month or two ago thinking it would help. I don't wear the contacts that often, just to ride, not everyday, and when I do, it really f***'s my depth perception and I have to ride much slower to compensate. I think if wore them every day I might get used to them, but for occasional use they suck. I don't know, maybe it's just my whacked out eyes but I'm pretty disappointed with the experience thus far.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I just did this a month or two ago thinking it would help. I don't wear the contacts that often, just to ride, not everyday, and when I do, it really f***'s my depth perception and I have to ride much slower to compensate. I think if wore them every day I might get used to them, but for occasional use they suck. I don't know, maybe it's just my whacked out eyes but I'm pretty disappointed with the experience thus far.
sounds like a bad prescription......contacts vastly improve your depth perception over glasses.....

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
sounds like a bad prescription......contacts vastly improve your depth perception over glasses.....
Contacts don't work with all prescriptions unfortunately. Mine is only possible with glasses, hence my sweet rx oakley collection, ha.
I have weird astigmatism that makes getting the right prescription difficult. Most people's astigmatisms are either up and down or left and right. Mine is rotated about 45° off-axis. I tried a couple of different lense combinations and settle on one that was just 'close' but not perfect. Nobody manufactures perfect. What I have now it seems like every thing is in focus at once (though one eye is a little off because of the astigmatism) It's kind of like a camera with infinite depth of field. Problem is it kind of makes every thing look flat, depthwise and I find it hard to focus on one particular object. My eyes are probably just lazy, being used to high index of refraction lenses in my glasses. Like I said, it would probably be better if I just wore them more often.

engineerjoe

Chimp
Jun 20, 2007
colorado springs
"roll" your helmet back a couple degrees, cut some of the foam off the goggles around your nose, live with it for one race?
as for the binoculars thing-that might be a perscription problem.

NapalmCheese

Monkey
May 16, 2006
Los Gatos
I don't wear the contacts that often, just to ride, not everyday, and when I do, it really f***'s my depth perception and I have to ride much slower to compensate.
Wear them more often, you'll get used to them. It'll take maybe 2 or 3 days of constant wear? You'll get used to switching back and forth too.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I have weird astigmatism that makes getting the right prescription difficult. Most people's astigmatisms are either up and down or left and right. Mine is rotated about 45° off-axis. I tried a couple of different lense combinations and settle on one that was just 'close' but not perfect. Nobody manufactures perfect. What I have now it seems like every thing is in focus at once (though one eye is a little off because of the astigmatism) It's kind of like a camera with infinite depth of field. Problem is it kind of makes every thing look flat, depthwise and I find it hard to focus on one particular object. My eyes are probably just lazy, being used to high index of refraction lenses in my glasses. Like I said, it would probably be better if I just wore them more often.
I still think you have a bad perscription. I have had depth preception problem before.....it is disorienting.

I have an irregular astigmatism to the degree that the surface of my eye is warped. What helped me the most was finding a good eye doctor. With your "weird" astigmatism you could easily end up frustrating many eye doctors, because you will have to try many kinds of lens and varying strengths. Most eye doctors don;t want to be assed with it....because it will take so much of their time to do it properly that they will loose money. A good eye doctor will refract over you lens once it has settled in after a few weeks and check the stability of it.

I ended up going to a university to get treated.....the guy wasn't in it for the money and worked with me to find something that worked. Learned alot in the process....because he was in the profession to teach and research..........not just to move people in and out the door to make money.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I ended up going to a university to get treated.....the guy wasn't in it for the money and worked with me to find something that worked. Learned alot in the process....because he was in the profession to teach and research..........not just to move people in and out the door to make money.
Best advice ever when it comes to eye doctors. I did much the same thing, and then Oakley sorted out the weird lenses that another rx manufacturer told me they couldn't do.