Quantcast

Problems with 99 FSR XC Disc setup

RMSlayer

Chimp
Oct 31, 2001
New York
Hello,

I have a 99 FSR XC stumpjumper full suspension. I recently purchased the brake fin adapter from the Specialized store to setup my FSR to disc brakes. I am using this year's Avid mechanicals disc brakes and 2002 Shimano HB-756 Disc Hubs wheelset. Both hubs and disc brakes follow the international standard.

Last night I tried to install all the above components. Once I install the wheel into the bike, the disc rotor would rub against the pivot bolt towards the rear of the chainstay. Has anybody installed disc brakes on their FSR XC(not enduro models) sucessfully or not sucessfully? If so please reply to this post and let me know what I can do to fix this problem.

Thanks.
John

I've just bought a second hand '00 Rockhopper FSR that has had discs installed (they were taken off before I bought it) and the bolt you are on about is changed for one with a thin head and is inserted from the other side of the stay i.e. the locknut is now on the outside.I believe you can get away with just doing that with the standard bolt too.
Hope this helps.Post how you get on cos I'm gonna get discs for mine in about a month.

htrdoug

Chimp
Nov 25, 2001
So.Indiana
My 2001 fsr enduro has a really thin headed bolt installed from the disc side,if you would like just let me know and I'll measure it for you so you can see if it will do the trick for you( I hate ordering crap from lbs and then finding out it won't work)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I just put one of those adapters on my M4 hardtail and I think I have the extra brake boss stud for your application, it came with the kit, but I don't need it. if you want it drop me a line and I'll mail it to you, free.

Sean

I've just fitted my Hope Mini's to my '00 FSR Rockhopper and they went on fine.I'm also using Hope xc hubs.However,the disc runs very close to the horst link bolt.Probably less than 1mm!! The head on the bolt is only about 3mm thick so you deffinately wont be able to use the stock bolt.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Specialized bikes that come with discs have a super flat bolt stock, but you can buy one or even shave down the stock one a bit. Since there is a lock nut on the other side, you don't need a lot of torque on the bolt so it won't strip. I had a 2000 fsr rockhopper comp with the team color scheme, I really liked it but the BB was way low, like under 12" without sag! I hit my pedals on everything even with a big hit link and a tall S-5 fork. I now have the new enduro with a 13.2" BB and it is sweet!

Sean