Quantcast

Profile 150 x 12 Rear hub Proto Dh hub!

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Profile Racing 150 x 12 Proto DH hub!

Excited to see my new hubs come in the mail today, been pushing one of my main sponsors (Profile Racing)
to bring the mtb line up to date with some new components! Starting with these 150 DH hubs that look dynamite!
Will be working on other stuff "one at a time" for the future. Looking at new 31.8 stem and a direct mount DH stem as the next project.
I'll be testing these babies and giving feedback etc. to Profile and these should be available in 09'
If you are going to Interbike they will have several in bling bling colors at the show to check out first hand.

Upon initial inspection, I see - as I expected awesome craftsmanship and probably one of the most solid DH hubs
The freehub driver is Titanium and I have ran them before and can say one of the top freehub designs out there. Really tight, close clicks with bombproof constuction made to last.
The rear hub weighs 400 grams and the front is 220 grams.
Probably one of the first things I will try to revise is loosing a couple grams.
But, Profile is about building solid, indestructable products so they weren't trying to go all weight weenie.
The hubs will feature a Titanium axle that will come with the 150 rear hub that will rival close to the weight of the Azonic Aluminum axle but, much stonger! It will also be sold separate and fit other hubs!
They weren't finished with the axle so I don't have it yet but, very soon!
Check it out and comment!

Attachments

Last edited:

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Not sure of the price just yet, but the 135mm rear is $260 and the 20mm front is $140
The Ti axle will probably spike price a little, I think he said the ti axle will retail in the $75 range alone.
for the quality I'd say they "should" be able to compete with the best out there.
Not sure what the Kings or Hadley's weigh etc. but def. the only hubs in the class with these new Profiles.
I have been running Hope pro II's on mavic 729's and pretty happy with them. Just replaced some pawls and springs which I thought wore out quick but, they were replaced free.
The hope rear hub is 100 grams lighter than the Profile but, clearly not in the same league in quality.
You can just feel the difference holding and spinning the freehub!
Course I haven't ridden the new Profiles but, the design is the same as the bmx, and 135 mtb hubs just 150 x 12

I will build them on 721's and knock 70 grams off per wheel from my current build. So should end up around the same weight. Not the lightest wheels but, durable as hell and far from "heavy"
Calculation of a 1200ish grams rear and 1000ish grams for the front wheel build.

Last edited:

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Well Ti isn't lighter than aluminum, but it's like twice as strong!
The hub body is Oversized 6061-T6 on the Profiles so stiffer/stronger.
The hardware- cones, spacers, axle sleeve whatever are aluminum but, Beefier than the other hubs listed.

There are a lot of Hadley and King owners and they sell for close to the same price?

Some comparisons weight and cost wise:

Chris King 150's weigh 384 grams w/aluminum Freehub driver - lighter, but softer and more scarable -cost $375.00
Hadley 150 weigh 387 grams (w/aluminum) Freehub -cost $275.00
Hope II's weigh 300 grams (w/aluminum) Fh -cost $210.00 and not really in the same quality class as the others listed.

Profile 150's weigh 405 grams w/titanium freehub and w/lightweight Titanium axle included.-cost ?????
-less than the Kings

As most things - you get what you pay for and some people want great quality, hopefully we can get people on these!

Last edited:

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
I'd also like to hear any ideas of downhill specific components such as direct mount stems etc.
"that aren't being mass produced already" which riders would like to see become available?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Can you clarify exactly what makes the Hopes lesser quality in your eyes? Cause I have a set here, and I have yet to see anything that would make them "not in the same league", minus the engagement of course.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The ti axle sounds like a nice accessory, but should not be included with the hub. Most frames with 150mm rear spacing use a proprietary axle and including the axle would be an unnecessary expense for most folks. For people whose frames use a more generic axle setup the ti axle would be a cool option. Overall the hub sounds great.

edit: what is the engagement on the freehub?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Can you clarify exactly what makes the Hopes lesser quality in your eyes? Cause I have a set here, and I have yet to see anything that would make them "not in the same league", minus the engagement of course.
+1

If you mean by "not in the same league" as being lighter than all other options you listed, yes, then you are right. :biggrin:

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
yah, I told em not to sell the axle with the hub, I think they just were thinking it would make it nicer.
how proprietary do the rear axles get though?
I think the design will be simple like the Azonic Alum. - straight axle w/threaded ends and a couple nuts.
Prolly tell them to set it up where you can order it with the hub if wanted.

I ain't trying to knock Hope- I rode them and think they are a good value. No scientist either,
so I can't go into specifics other than what comparisons I noted previosly.
The Freehub is the biggest difference in the hubs, more engagement and more durable,
the bearings feel better, the cones fit and enclose the bearings better, as I said "it's just more solid!"
as well as stiffness throughout the hub, was my criteria used to say "maybe not the same league".

Last edited:

tree hugger

Monkey
Jul 18, 2007
didn't you just answer your own question?

Hope is easily the best option for the money. And perhaps the smartest buy overall considering quality to expense ratio. But there's nothing wrong with another contender in the high end group.

Last edited:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
So slower (not even slow, mind you, just slowER) engagement makes a hub junk? So the bearing quality, machine work, durability, ease of maintenance, and the price have nothing to do with it?

Well, learn something new every day.

I'd definitely like to see what Profile can do. I have a set of their hubs on my dobermann in, and the review will be very solid. Those hubs are very good and dependable, but as mentioned, heavy. I wouldn't say they had the fastest engagement either, but this is a single speed hub, so the DH might be different.

Looking at the hub though, it LOOKS like the flanges might be in the same spots as a 135 hub, its just the disc side thats pushed out. Is that correct?

tree hugger

Monkey
Jul 18, 2007
So slower (not even slow, mind you, just slowER) engagement makes a hub junk? So the bearing quality, machine work, durability, ease of maintenance, and the price have nothing to do with it?

Well, learn something new every day.
if you re-read my post you'll see where I specifically and emphatically said that Hope was complete "junk".

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm currently running an older 135x10 QR Profile hub, and am very happy with it - runs smoothly, excellent engagement. Also the loudest hub I own (I have 2 Hadley's with the no-longer-produced 108T freehubs). I just wish they would make a conversion kit so I could run it as a bolt on :D

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
I have several sets of profile hubs and they have been great.
I would like to see them make a front hub that is convertible between 20mm, 15mm, and qr. Same with rear hubs, 135 qr to 12mm thru axle. They could loose a little weight too and still be bombproof.
Component wise their gas pedals could be made thinner and have better pin placement.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Uh, you mean a conversion for the Hadley? Profile 135's with a quick-release can be converted with a kit for a bolt-on.
No, I already have the conversion kit for my Hadleys. one is a 135x10 bolt on, the other is 135x12 TA.

Where can I get the conversion kit for the Profile? Can't find it on their site. edit: all I can find is the 3/8" adapter.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah, the "bolt-on" are 3/8's or 10mm studs which screw into the main-center axle.
It's not a thru-axle tho? If that's what you meant.
nope, not looking for thru axle, just bolt on. I was hoping they had some secret page with actual 10mm bolts (3/8" is about 9.5mm, so I'm not sure if the 0.5mm difference would be detrimental). Its for a frame with horiztonal dropouts from a company that no longer exists).

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
They should work fine, but, if you are concerned call Profile and they may have diff. sizes, they got all kinda crap between bmx and mt. stuff that will prob. fit better for you.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
I have several sets of profile hubs and they have been great.
I would like to see them make a front hub that is convertible between 20mm, 15mm, and qr. Same with rear hubs, 135 qr to 12mm thru axle. They could loose a little weight too and still be bombproof.
Component wise their gas pedals could be made thinner and have better pin placement.
Yeah, not a bad idea - the thinner bodied pedals are better for mtb and bmx as well.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Well Ti isn't lighter than aluminum, but it's like twice as strong!
The hub body is Oversized 6061-T6 on the Profiles so stiffer/stronger.
The hardware- cones, spacers, axle sleeve whatever are aluminum but, Beefier than the other hubs listed.

There are a lot of Hadley and King owners and they sell for close to the same price?

Some comparisons weight and cost wise:

Chris King 150's weigh 384 grams w/aluminum Freehub driver - lighter, but softer and more scarable -cost $375.00
Hadley 150 weigh 387 grams (w/aluminum) Freehub -cost $275.00
Hope II's weigh 300 grams (w/aluminum) Fh -cost $210.00 and not really in the same quality class as the others listed.

Profile 150's weigh 405 grams w/titanium freehub and w/lightweight Titanium axle included.-cost ?????
-less than the Kings

As most things - you get what you pay for and some people want great quality, hopefully we can get people on these!
Can't find it on their page but CRC states CK 150 hub as 335g not 384g.
There is also Burgtec which was around 315g.
Plus there is Tune that is below 290 (287 or 78 if I remember it right)
Also if you give exact numbers Hope was 298g.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Yeah, just googled the hub name and weight, there are always 4-5 different weights listed for any given product.
I am not arguing with you I haven't placed any of them on a scale except the Profiles.
Cool to see some other hubs listed in comparisons though thanks.

Last edited:

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
Profile is a great company, good to see that they are updating their MTB line of products.

About the Ti axle..... well i never seen any al 7075 axle to break so..... i don't think that making it from a more expensive and heavy material is nessesary. But maybe for the blig factor..i dunno

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Profile is a great company, good to see that they are updating their MTB line of products.

About the Ti axle..... well i never seen any al 7075 axle to break so..... i don't think that making it from a more expensive and heavy material is nessesary. But maybe for the blig factor..i dunno
I have been running an azonic aluminum one on my glory and had no probs.
but, when I researched reviews before buying it, I found a few people who
claimed to have bent them. At under a hundred bucks I would think the Ti axle
would be worth the security, but this is America People!
So we can have a choice, I don't know of anyone else making a Ti axle,
(correct me if I'm wrong about that) but, there will be people who want them if so.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Well, between the design meeting and the finished product I was out of the loop. So evidently Profile realized your point. The AXLE isn't Ti - it is Aluminum!:bonk:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I wish someone (profile'd do) would bring out a 150x12 hub with a shorter freehub body with say enough room for 5 or 6 (9 speed spaced) sprockets. then it would be possible to move the driveside flange over far enough to build a stronger genuine zero dish wheel?

Oh, and get rid of those pointless mud collecting dimples in the centre of the hub body... we ride in mud

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I remember reading some reviews. The consensus was bombproof, quick engagement, and your cogs won't dig into the freehub. Downsides (if you see them as such) are weight, price, and loud "angry bees" coasting sound.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
They've got an aluminum freehub body now. Weight is competitive, but the cassette will dig in. Not worried about that, though the angry bees thing might be annoying.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
dave, the ones originally posted at the beginning of the thread aren't the current gen ones from profile. the new elite hubs are the crazy 200 something point engagement ones.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
The noise can get to be a bit much. The hub weight is as claimed on box. So that shouldn't be an issue the set I have laced up to ZTR Stans hoops came in at 1850 grams F/R....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The noise can get to be a bit much. The hub weight is as claimed on box. So that shouldn't be an issue the set I have laced up to ZTR Stans hoops came in at 1850 grams F/R....
i have one of the old style hubs, and at 72 pts (i think) it's loud as eff. loudest hub i have by far. i can't imagine how much louder the new elite ones are.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I ran a Profile Elite hub on my mtb for 9 months this year. The buzz and free hub gouging got to me and I sold them. At first the buzz was cool and while riding less noticeable. Working on the wheel in my garage started annoying me and eventually driving me insane. The engagement was fantastic though.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
^I thought I was alone in not liking loud hubs. I've never owned a high engagement hub so I'm content with my normal engagement, nearly silent, and very low drag DT 240s (they're super light too). However, I'm told that once you get used to a near instant engagement hub you can't go back. Is the True Precision Stealth the only quick engagement hub that doesn't make a lot of noise and drag when coasting?

Last edited: