Quantcast

Program for getting fit

Nov 16, 2001
midlands, UK
Hi,

i have been lurking for a while. I am looking to gain some aerobic fitness and due to my size 5' 8" 242lbs cycling seems to be the way to go. Does anyone recommend a 'progam' or book(s) that I could read to get me started.

I don't have too much off road stuff near me but plenty of 'quiet' tarmac. I have an old Scott mtb with raod tires on that i can use.

Any help / advice is appreciated.

Cheers

Rich

Scotty

Chimp
Jul 9, 2001
Delaware
Mountain Biking can definetly get you into aerobic shape and help you lose some pounds. You will also definetly want to add a weight training program with your cardio. Weights can be just has important for losing weight and shaping up. You should ask JOJO about a program, she's a personal trainer and could most definetly tell you the way to go.

Nov 16, 2001
midlands, UK
Cheers Scotty,

i am just starting a routine at home, I post on Ironmagazine also, MBC and IAB have probably seen me around.

The routine I am trying to get to is a 3 day per week weight and 2-3 days cycling.

day1 chest /tris
day2 rest/cycle
day3 legs
day4 rest/cycle
day5 back/shoulders/biceps
day6 rest/cycle
day7 rest/cycle

I seem to slip into overtraining very easily so I am going to have to juggle this around somewhat.

When training on the bike is distance or time a better guage?

Rich

Originally posted by RykardMaximus
Cheers Scotty,

i am just starting a routine at home, I post on Ironmagazine also, MBC and IAB have probably seen me around.

The routine I am trying to get to is a 3 day per week weight and 2-3 days cycling.

day1 chest /tris
day2 rest/cycle
day3 legs
day4 rest/cycle
day5 back/shoulders/biceps
day6 rest/cycle
day7 rest/cycle

I seem to slip into overtraining very easily so I am going to have to juggle this around somewhat.

When training on the bike is distance or time a better guage?

Rich
Just some notes: You should have a definite REST day doing nothing but being.

I wouldn't cycle for at least 1 day, maybe 2 after working legs - but the good news is, you can work your upper body the next day after doing legs.

You may find that day 5 is too much to do in one day. Remember, you shouldn't be at the gym more than 45 minutes to an hour as well.

Just IMO.

Scotty

Chimp
Jul 9, 2001
Delaware
That's soooo true MTBchick. I got onto really great shape a few years ago and then hurt my back because I would never rest in between playing hockey, lifting weights and Jiu-Jitsu. Defiently rest in between hard workouts, sometimes even two days off is good. I recomend doing your cardio workouts on separate days. Spinning is a great cardio workout, and alot of fun.

Nov 16, 2001
midlands, UK
Thanks both,

I was trying to say rest or cycle on the non resistance days. Is it better to go for a distance or a time when riding?

Do you recommend any books?

RM

Thanks both,

I was trying to say rest or cycle on the non resistance days. Is it better to go for a distance or a time when riding?

Do you recommend any books?

RM
Baboon gets mad at me because everytime someone asks a question, I say "It depends on your goals." (which of course it does). If your goal is fat burning, then time and lower heart rate is your friend. If your goal is performance, then higher heart rates (that you won't be able to sustain for long periods of time) is what you want.

check out this thread http://www.ridemonkey.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8117

Nov 16, 2001
midlands, UK
Losing fat is the primary goal, with a view to then getting fitter and leaner.

So I guess LSD is the way to go then. Ball park what sort of distances / times are you talking about? I was hoping to do it before work in the mornings so would only have around 30-60 mins . Would this be enough?

Cheers

Rich

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Would it be worth while just switching to cardio for a while?

RM
Absolutely NOt... a combination of cardio and resistance training is the best way to go. As you build lean muscle mass you increase your metabolism and therefore your body functions more efficiently. You cannot do this with cardio alone. As far as fat loss being your primary goal I would do at least 3 days a week of cardio for 30-60 minutes at intervals.... 4 minutes at around 55% of your max heart rate... and 4 minutes at around 85% is a great way to do interval training.. switch between these intensities.... Your training heart rate range shoud be between 55 and 85% of your max heart rate... besides getting a stress test from your doc the best way to figure your training heart rate range and max heart rate would be to use the Karvonen formula.... if you want the formula lemme know its easy:D So at least 3 days of cardio and a minimum of 2-3 days of resistance training a week to get started:D

Scotty

Chimp
Jul 9, 2001
Delaware
Ditto on that. I don't know much but I think that a combination of weight training and cardio is definetly more benefical that just sticking to one thing. Kind of like lifting weights to change the way your chest looks and only doing bench press. Which will probably make you look weird because you don't train any other body parts. Try to hit the weights a few times a week mix some c ardio in with some mountain biking and you be in shape in no time. The hard part will be to stick with it and not let up. Good Luck!!

Nov 16, 2001
midlands, UK
Thanks for that both, I going to try to get up and ride before work. It will be dark and wet but let go for it....

JOJO how do you work out the max heart rate? is it 220-age?

Cheers

Rich

Thanks for that both, I going to try to get up and ride before work. It will be dark and wet but let go for it....

JOJO how do you work out the max heart rate? is it 220-age?

Cheers

Rich
You can start with that if you don't have any other way of measuring it - but you may find you'll need to adjust that number depending on how in shape you already are. There are a few ON BIKE test - I would say use as many different methods as possible, then take the average.

do a search on google for HOW TO DETERMINE MAX HEART RATE and I bet a ton of stuff will come up!

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
YEs... 220-age is a generic formula but it can be used.... the most accurate way to determine your max heart rate would be to get a stress test by a doctor. For the karvonen formula you need your estimated max heart rate (so 220-age) and your resting heart rate. RHR is best determined by taking your pulse for three mornings in a row before you get out of bed... then average out the numbers... HEre is the actual formula to determine Target heart rate range ....

LEts say for a 28 year old with a Resting HEart Rate of 70

220 - 28 (age) = 192 estimated** max heart rate

192 - 70 = 122 Heart Rate Reserve

Now you can determine heart rate range based on 55% - 85% of max heart rate:

(122 * .55) + 70 = (lower end of training zone) 137
(122 * .85) + 70 = (Upper end) 173

So when this person exercises they should try to reach their training heart rate zone of 137 - 173 .... and maintain it for the duration of the activity.. (I suggest Intervals.. 4 minutes at high end and 4 at low end for fat loss goals).

Hope that helps

:D

Nov 16, 2001
midlands, UK
Thanks for that JOJO.

I will persevere with the weigth training and drag the bike out at the weekend, hopefully a couple of days gentle cycling will help me get back into training in the morning. The cold ,wet english mornings are NOT conjusive to getting out of bed!!!

Rich

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Originally posted by Scotty
I have a heart murmur so would the normal way of determing my heart rate not apply.
In your case I would ask my doctor.... I def.. dont think the normal formula would apply..but I am by no means a medical expert;)

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by JOJO
YEs... 220-age is a generic formula but it can be used.... the most accurate way to determine your max heart rate would be to get a stress test by a doctor. For the karvonen formula you need your estimated max heart rate (so 220-age) and your resting heart rate. RHR is best determined by taking your pulse for three mornings in a row before you get out of bed... then average out the numbers... HEre is the actual formula to determine Target heart rate range ....

LEts say for a 28 year old with a Resting HEart Rate of 70

220 - 28 (age) = 192 estimated** max heart rate

192 - 70 = 122 Heart Rate Reserve

Now you can determine heart rate range based on 55% - 85% of max heart rate:

(122 * .55) + 70 = (lower end of training zone) 137
(122 * .85) + 70 = (Upper end) 173

So when this person exercises they should try to reach their training heart rate zone of 137 - 173 .... and maintain it for the duration of the activity.. (I suggest Intervals.. 4 minutes at high end and 4 at low end for fat loss goals).

Hope that helps

:D
I just joined a Gym... Oh GAWD... what am I getting into?

Originally posted by Scotty
I have a heart murmur so would the normal way of determing my heart rate not apply.
too use MBC's line: It depends.

Your max heart rate may be altered from normal depending on the cause, type, location and severity of the murmur. I'd ask your doc about that one just to be safe.