Quantcast

ProGRT Round Two: Day One at Plattekill

Ridemonkey.com

News & Reviews
Jun 26, 2009

Plattekill. Racing. Smiles all round. Defending champ Bryn Atkinson. What’s not to love about the this weekend’s festivities? Here is Saturday’s conclusion, with some great photos by Ryan Cathrall, click to make 'em big.
---

Photos by Ryan Cathrall
Words by David Peacock

The Pro Gravity Racing Tour resumed today, this time on the opposite side of the country. The collective migration of a flock of US racers, not to mention the return of some World Cup warriors, has primed the Plattekill incarnation of the ProGRT to be an amazing spectacle of racing.

Kieran Bennett drops into his line during practice.

Bryn Atkinson is hoping to build a significant lead in the points department this weekend.

DH is becoming an increasingly competitive discipline in the United States, especially because of the recent presence of world-class teams. Port Angeles was blessed with a cloud of ash from the volcanic heavens, forcing some of the world’s best to skip their scheduled jettisons across the pond and partake in one of the funnest (as a journalist, I conscientiously object to using the utterly cacophonic phrase “most fun”) events in US racing. This evidently sparked some interest in upcoming ProGRT events, as gravity starlets such as those of Transition Racing made the pre-US Open trip to Plattekill in hopes of enjoying another true red, white, and blue weekend of racing.

Australian ripper Jared Rando bringing some down-under spice to the course. The Aussies are always a pleasure to watch.

Jill Kintner ripping the shale during a training run.

Day one is officially long since in the books, photo jocks have crammed their computers completely chock-a-block full of frozen motion, and the riders are excited about tomorrow’s day of clock fighting. Standouts from the crowd include Transition’s Bryn Atkinson, who took home the proverbial “W” last time around, as well as America’s most heralded female racer, Jill Kintner. The course has been great thus far; there has been very little complaining and nothing but good words to be heard from the DH crowd. Things could get a little dusty on Sunday, but hey, it makes for good photos right?

The foot down, flat out derby!

Mickey of Spooky Bikes ripping a corner flat out, tongue out during an impromptu single slalom on the classic Platty shale.

It’s a game of beat the cuckoo, and only one rider can emerge entirely victorious. We will have a full write-up covering the event on Monday, so set your bookmarks, homepages, or favorites to Ridemonkey’s newly installed News page for the most insightful race reporting from Plattekill. Until then, cheers everyone!

Attachments

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Looks like the DH is kickass! but, what the hell is this single slalom BS? Apparently 4x only killed one lane of Dual Slalom? DS used to be a very unique sport with some of the most competitive racing on earth. I guess promoters are just lazy about puttin on a real Slalom Race?

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Looks like the DH is kickass! but, what the hell is this single slalom BS? Apparently 4x only killed one lane of Dual Slalom? DS used to be a very unique sport with some of the most competitive racing on earth. I guess promoters are just lazy about puttin on a real Slalom Race?
The single slalom was not part of the original plan. Mickey from Spooky Bikes, organized the "unoffical" event. Super entertaining and fun event.

Thanks, Mickey !!

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Yikes a bit dissapointed in the coverage. Day 1 was a good start, but the race is over and no mention since?
My fault man. I was doing the shooting and couldn't send the files on Platty's satellite network. I just made it back home to Burlington and and re-sending the photos.

Day 2 update will be done very shortly.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The single slalom was not part of the original plan. Mickey from Spooky Bikes, organized the "unoffical" event. Super entertaining and fun event.

Thanks, Mickey !!
It was a hybrid of slalom and super g. Basically a timed solo slalom. It was put together in a period of about 4 hours. The course was raked out and then burned in with a dirt bike. And I agree it was SUPER entertaining!!