Quantcast

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
It is a DW rip off? YES! and DW lovers or supporters go buy a new Turner DHR, i would really love to do that too because i hate big companies myself. but-me-no-have-2500+usd for a piece of welded alumininm and a shock-. I can live 6 months here with that money.
But since i'm poor and love to ride, and i live in south america, i will start earning money to get a new glory in a couple of years.

cheers.
And people that are able to afford a licensed DW bike please do it.

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
The new Glory is very different from the Sunday... The bottom link is not a DW or a copy of... It is the same as any other Maestro equipped bike. The DW link is much shorter and is on the inside of the frame as the Maestro is on the outside of the seat tube. Maestro suspension works totally different than DW suspension. The shock position was changed to a more vertical position to get more small bump sensitivity. No one said that the previous generation Glory was using a DW link and the 2010 prototype is using the same bottom link as the first generation Glory. The only thing that has changed is the angle of the shock.

Get over it DW and DW lovers. It is NOT a DW suspension nor was it designed around a DW suspension.
Sorry dude, but your not quite right here. DW link has nothing to do with physical linkage shape or placement, the actual patent is for the suspension kinematics.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.

goguen89

Chimp
Aug 1, 2008
You obviously don't know how to read then... Every idiot was saying they ripped it of Iron Horse and they were using the DW link... So by actually proving they were still using the Maestro suspension and the only thing that changed from the previous generation glory was the shock placement, top link is still the same and the bottom one too, I proved everyone that was saying it was copied from Iron Horse and DW and it wasn't a DW lisenced bike and all that ****... WRONG

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
You obviously don't know how to read then... Every idiot was saying they ripped it of Iron Horse and they were using the DW link... So by actually proving they were still using the Maestro suspension and the only thing that changed from the previous generation glory was the shock placement, top link is still the same and the bottom one too, I proved everyone that was saying it was copied from Iron Horse and DW and it wasn't a DW lisenced bike and all that ****... WRONG
or maybe people were just tired of talking about the Sunday knock-off :lighten:

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
The new Glory has the same linkage as the old Glory, the shock is just angled different. People should have been making a big deal about this a long time ago, but they were too busy debating clearance of the downtube hole. Its still the same Maestro configuration with a different look.

Alot of people are talking patents in this thread. "Go look it up" is a common line. I'm curious how these people can tell they're the exact same design simply from looking at a picture online? From reading long posts on this forum for the last several years, the design is very numbers-driven. Where did everyone get there numbers to make the accusations that they are?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I doubt its a rip on the DW link because I'm sure Giant wouldn't want to get entangled in a court case when they have a good suspension design (Maestro). Again, looks can be deceiving and all you did was describe how the bike looked. Look at the VPP patent, vastly different looks from Outland to Santa Cruz but it is still the same patent. What it looks like doesn't matter, how it works does

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
Looks like you're the village idiot...
dude what's wrong with you? insulting people is not cool, not even on the intraweb! learn to behave!
anyway, this thread is almost 3 months old, and believe me: it's getting tiring to discuss wheter or not maestro is a rip off or not. nobody cares. stop stiring up sh*t.

goguen89

Chimp
Aug 1, 2008
What it looks like doesn't matter, how it works does
Exactly... The suspension on the Glory and the suspension on the Iron Horse can look similar from a distance, but when you look closely, they are very different and work very differently...

goguen89

Chimp
Aug 1, 2008
dude what's wrong with you? insulting people is not cool, not even on the intraweb! learn to behave!
anyway, this thread is almost 3 months old, and believe me: it's getting tiring to discuss wheter or not maestro is a rip off or not. nobody cares. stop stiring up sh*t.
He is the one not making sense... and if he could've read my post correctly, he would've understood my point... I'm not trying to stir things up... I just wanted to know what people thought of the right information

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
For all those claiming that it doesn't infringe because it is a maestro bike keep in mind that the maestro design has been infringing since it was released on the other giant bikes. This bike simply orients the suspension in a similar way causing everyone to now think its the first rip-off.

If you read the dw-link patent you will see little mention of specific linkage layout, appearance of the bike, etc. It has far more to do with the KINEMATICS of the suspension.

Does nobody remember the big FSR vs NRS suspension fiasco not too many years ago? Giant clearly has no issue pushing the limits of patent infraction and like with specialized I hope that giant loses in court again.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I love how a US patent examiner has to have the minimum of a degree in either physical sciences, life sciences, an engineering discipline, computer science, and has a mastery of US patent laws and relevent federal codes (if i remember correctly their legal determinations are only 3 or 4 steps removed from the Sumpreme Court). Many have worked for several years in their respective industries or in relevant legal fields and hold advanced degrees in engineering, metallurgy, physics, pharmacology, etc. There were a few more qualifications but this is as much as i can remember from an NPR interview with a patent examiner i heard a few months ago.

And the requirements of patent engineers and patent attorneys (the people who are actually involved in the challenge or interpretation of various patents) is even more substantial, with many holding a PhD, MD, or advanced law degree.

yet any kid on ridemonkey with a partial high school education can evaluate, decipher, and summarize patent finding in 2 grammatically challenged sentences or less. brilliant:plthumbsdown:

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I love how a US patent examiner has to have the minimum of a degree in either physical sciences, life sciences, an engineering discipline, computer science, and has a mastery of US patent laws and relevent federal codes (if i remember correctly their legal determinations are only 3 or 4 steps removed from the Sumpreme Court). Many have worked for several years in their respective industries or in relevant legal fields and hold advanced degrees in engineering, metallurgy, physics, pharmacology, etc. There were a few more qualifications but this is as much as i can remember from an NPR interview with a patent examiner i heard a few months ago.

yet any kid on ridemonkey with a partial high school education can evaluate, decipher, and summarize patent finding in 2 grammatically challenged sentences or less. brilliant:plthumbsdown:
let me go get my high school physics book :nerd:

:rofl:

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA

And the requirements of patent engineers and patent attorneys (the people who are actually involved in the challenge or interpretation of various patents) is even more substantial, with many holding a PhD, MD, or advanced law degree.

You make a very good point. I admit that I do not completely understand the kinematics of the DW link, but I do understand that the suspension kinematics are what the patent is for, not the physical suspension layout. That was the only point I was trying to make.