Quantcast

Props to Windrock Trails

mfzbike

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Precious painville
I just wanna say thanks to everyone for the badass trails we have to ride!!!!! I don't think i've ever had a better day than today.
JOEY, MARK, BRIAN, TERRY, and who ever else has put their fair share in.
Middle Finger:hot: , new trail 1:love: , and all the little stuff here and there. Awesome job guys....
and Brian that new freeride section KICKS ASS!!!!! just that little section beats the hell outta all that stuff we rode at Snowshoe last summer!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
thanks man.

everyone was rippin it up today.
typical w.rock conditions.
morning grease, afternoon perfection.

Wndrckr

Monkey
Nov 10, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Thanks Mark! Yea, fortunately the sun came out today and we got some quality ride time in. Words can't properly describe how much fun it is out there this year.
Here's today's ride pics. Sorry there's not more, but it's hard to interupt such a fun time.:) :)

This is Ben & DJ on Middle finger.

danW

Monkey
Mar 8, 2005
Greensboro
...rode w/some dudes today who said the same thing about the "Rock"...I've really got to get over there and ride!...

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
danW said:
...rode w/some dudes today who said the same thing about the "Rock"...I've really got to get over there and ride!...
seems like that's what everyone says, but never does.

in the meantime, the best stuff around is being ridden by just a handful of locals. some of whom are getting better and better with every session.

i personally saw a few "level jumps" today.
with style and ease.

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
dhbuilder said:
seems like that's what everyone says, but never does.
It's a long-ass drive, but I'm on my way as soon as I can make it. I'm friggen tired of reading about it, looking at .jpegs of it, downloading videos of it...

Just need to git my ass up there.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Those off the rock pics are awesome.

Ben needs a new jersey.:)

I can't believe it was dry for you guys today,
Yesterday at Bent Creek it was a mudfest, and it snowed on us all day. It was a fun 3 hours though.:)

John M

Chimp
Mar 17, 2005
S/E Mich (pancake)
metalhead119042 said:
yeah 6 hours is still a long ride unless i plan on being there for a few days
I would drive 6 hours for just one day of riding.... The closes thing we have is 3 1/2 hours away. the elevation there is only 250-300 ft.
The Rock is really the closes thing for great riding. Thats a 8 hour trip.
I plan on doing that drive many times this year. When you live on a mitten-shaped pancake(Michigan).......you get used to driving- JM

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Jeremy R said:
Those off the rock pics are awesome.

Ben needs a new jersey.:)

Yesterday at Bent Creek it was a mudfest, and it snowed on us all day. It was a fun 3 hours though.:)

Thanks for the offer I wear a size medium.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Jeremy R said:
proper trail construction and good windrock karma.

GET YOUR BIKE TOGETHER AND GET OVER HERE !!!!

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
ztlh13 said:
Yeah. I would have come down, but I was enjoying XC skiing in 12" of powder on top of Roan Mtn. Probably the last chance for that!
Now your chances are gone! Come to Windrock...it is your destiny.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
what's really cool,
is that our local gang has grown quite a bit.
ten guys, and two trucks going.

and that wasn't even all of us.
there was another half dozen who could have been there.
and a couple of others are makin serious noises about returning to the clan.

and it's going to be cool watching the improvement in skill levels.

tgaines72

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Knoxville, TN
ztlh13 said:
Yeah. I would have come down, but I was enjoying XC skiing in 12" of powder on top of Roan Mtn. Probably the last chance for that!
Damn, that sounds fun. Do you use skins on powder skis or XC skis. I want to get some skins for my fattys and climb it, then run through the trees. Next year though.

tgaines72

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Knoxville, TN
dhbuilder said:
what's really cool,
is that our local gang has grown quite a bit.
ten guys, and two trucks going.

and that wasn't even all of us.
there was another half dozen who could have been there.
and a couple of others are makin serious noises about returning to the clan.

and it's going to be cool watching the improvement in skill levels.
I mostly moved to this area because of the trails at Windrock and I don't even have a DH bike anymore. But I'll go trash my all-mountain bike there.
see you soon.
and I'm saving up for next season.

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
tgaines72 said:
Damn, that sounds fun. Do you use skins on powder skis or XC skis. I want to get some skins for my fattys and climb it, then run through the trees. Next year though.
I use XC skis so it can be a real challenge descending the AT with the tight turns and sometimes too fast straights.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
ztlh13 said:
I use XC skis so it can be a real challenge descending the AT with the tight turns and sometimes too fast straights.
holy crap, that sounds like a whole lot of fun and challenges.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
now that daylight savings time is upon us, we're starting our wednesday sessions again.

brian needs to get his runs in and be gone by 3p.m. or so.
so we'll get started with him around noon to 1p.m.

then we'll continue on untill dark.
wednesdays are by far the best days to ride out there. as we have the complete mt. all to ourselves, with very few others out there to hinder our road crossings.
it's a great time to just stick to one or two trails all day to get them wired and your bike tuned, without all the weekend distractions.

Hey Joey- I love the work you have done there. Didn't go last year for personal reasons.
I heard rumblings about getting the Pro's there from Sugar.
I think that you could put up a World Cup race there. Windrock could defenitly show Ft. William something.
Lodging for the pros' would be one thing, but what about getting them to the top? There are lots of rooms in Knoxville.
I know that it would be a shuttle; but is the road to the top of the expert trails repaved? If we could figure out someway to get the pros' to the top fast, I bet you could have a WC.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
jet said:
Hey Joey- I love the work you have done there. Didn't go last year for personal reasons.
I heard rumblings about getting the Pro's there from Sugar.
I think that you could put up a World Cup race there. Windrock could defenitly show Ft. William something.
Lodging for the pros' would be one thing, but what about getting them to the top? There are lots of rooms in Knoxville.
I know that it would be a shuttle; but is the road to the top of the expert trails repaved? If we could figure out someway to get the pros' to the top fast, I bet you could have a WC.
the paved road is in great shape now.
but i think our "facility" is a little too raw for anything other than a regional event.

we would have to have all the other activity halted, and that's not going to happen. they have us way outnumbered.

but i'm happy just to have a place for all of us to ride.

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
I think everyone should try to get Monday June 12th off and plan to get the leftovers from Sugar before they head to Mt.Snow. I am off and will be there! Who's with me?

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
i've only ridden there twice. and it was back when jp was still here.
that sounds like a good idea to me.(i need to get out more)

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
ztlh13 said:
I think everyone should try to get Monday June 12th off and plan to get the leftovers from Sugar before they head to Mt.Snow. I am off and will be there! Who's with me?

I'll be at work.:mad:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
ztlh13 said:
That's why I said take the day off!
yeah.
it goes like this, you get up walk out the door. say you'll be right back.(a relative term to be sure.) go home. pack up your stuff. grab the dog and head east. and rip.

very simple, very easy.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
dhbuilder said:
yeah.
it goes like this, you get up walk out the door. say you'll be right back.(a relative term to be sure.) go home. pack up your stuff. grab the dog and head east. and rip.

very simple, very easy.

Yes, it is quite simple in theory but the difficulty is in practice. Plus, if I'm taking a day off I'll be headed in the other direction.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
ztlh13 said:
I've been politicing for this quite hard with some teams and managers I know. Been browbeating Houseman, etc about just being able to take a team trailer off I-40 and be in the parking lot in 20-25 minutes with gear on and shuttle rolling.
Hindsight being 20/20, a "local" race on Sunday would be ideal to get the groms and their moms to circle it on the calender.

Can you guys imagine it? "Yeah, I was in the running for the overall at Nats, but I blew a hole in my fork, snapped my crank, broke every derailleur I had and dented 2 rims...at some place called Windrock the weekend before." Sorry..had to pretend like I was Joey for a sec....OK...I'm back now...channeling spirits is tough.