Quantcast

Protein.. How much?

MTBDH-BMX

Chimp
Aug 8, 2002
Littleton, Colorado
I am getting back into lifting again and wanted to know what an appropriate amount of protein is to take as a supplement. What I am looking for is a general rule of thumb for the amount of protein in grams per pound of body weight. I want to increase/maintain the muscle that I have now.

Thanks!:monkey: 's

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Table 1. Recommended Grams of Protein Per Pound of Body Weight Per Day*

RDA for sedentary adult 0.4

Adult recreational exerciser 0.5-0.75

Adult competitive athlete 0.6-0.9

Adult building muscle mass 0.7-0.9

Dieting athlete 0.7-1.0

Growing teenage athlete 0.9-1.0

*To find your daily protein requirement, multiply the appropriate numbers in this table by your weight in pounds.

MTBDH-BMX

Chimp
Aug 8, 2002
Littleton, Colorado
Thank you so much!! That is exactly what I was looking for. I knew that we had some intelligent (if not very prompt) monkies!!

Thanks Heidi!!

Now off to the gym I go!

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I'm with I are. I would actually up each of those slightly and have always disagreed with those stats. But hey who am I? :) For an active adult I consume 1.5 to 2 g per pound. But then again I like to maxmimize muscle growth at every chance I get :)

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by Roasted
For an active adult I consume 1.5 to 2 g per pound.
I've tried to, but I just CAN NOT eat that much! Nothing like trying to force down food when you are not hungry. On a good day, I can forcibly eat 250g. :monkey:

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
I've tried to, but I just CAN NOT eat that much! Nothing like trying to force down food when you are not hungry. On a good day, I can forcibly eat 250g. :monkey:
That was right around my limit. When I was a gym rat I was hanging out with guys eating double that (talk about stink) But for some reason 250 was just about my limit. Fine by me, I find eating high protein hurt the pocket book a little :)

MTBDH-BMX

Chimp
Aug 8, 2002
Littleton, Colorado
I appreciate the posts but I am going to error on the side of about .7-1.0 per gram of body weight. First I must explain. Former college football player. Already 6'2" and 235. I am trying to maintain the muscle I have yet gain the strength that I know I am still capable of. If I were to do the 1.5 grams per pound of body weight I would have to consume 353 grams of protein a day. That would pretty hard to do unless I was eating a protein shake plus the 4-5 meals a day that I already eat. As it is right now I have a skake that I am getting about 90-100 grams of protein from(and it tastes good). If in the future I want to put on more size(not sure why I would want to get much bigger) I will up my protien intake. But until then thanks for the guidelines.

CB

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by azrael
ahh?
lets see, 150 pounds, 16.that means im suposed to get roughly 150 grams of protein? sorry, but that isnt going to happen...
Why is that too much...sheesh I can get that in one shake haha :)...Imagine what I take in at 250pounds

Mooven

Chimp
Jun 5, 2002
Everywhere, USA
I've been reading all your posts while trying to cram my dinner that I am not even hungry for. I hear you guys about trying to get in enough protein, for me its not just that though. Its trying to eat the five meals a day with all the protein and vegtables that I am supposed to consume. Eating has become a pain in the *** and all these veggies and protein are starting to become a little dull. All I want is a beer and a cookie, ugghhhh.....

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by Mooven
I've been reading all your posts while trying to cram my dinner that I am not even hungry for. I hear you guys about trying to get in enough protein, for me its not just that though. Its trying to eat the five meals a day with all the protein and vegtables that I am supposed to consume. Eating has become a pain in the *** and all these veggies and protein are starting to become a little dull. All I want is a beer and a cookie, ugghhhh.....
Simple take a break. You can't eat like that full time all the time. Take 1 day every 10 days to eat what you like (hmmmm beer) or 1 day every 7 days...eating like that full time will make you hate it.

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
Simple take a break. You can't eat like that full time all the time. Take 1 day every 10 days to eat what you like (hmmmm beer) or 1 day every 7 days...eating like that full time will make you hate it.
I've got a pretty strict eating regime. I do, however, let myself eat like the 18 year old I am wants to on one meal a week. I'll still take my 220 grams of protein a day, but I'll eat a burrito for lunch or have a couple slices of pizza for dinner. I might even eat something other than oatmeal for breakfast!!!! :eek: It usually depends on what the girl wants to eat, and its hard to say no to 105 pounds of cute.

Once you've got a healthy diet going, it just takes time to adjust to it. Soon you will CRAVE your lunch of 2 cans of tuna w/ mustard on top. Mmmmm. :drool:

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by Jorvik
I've got a pretty strict eating regime. I do, however, let myself eat like the 18 year old I am wants to on one meal a week. I'll still take my 220 grams of protein a day, but I'll eat a burrito for lunch or have a couple slices of pizza for dinner. I might even eat something other than oatmeal for breakfast!!!! :eek: It usually depends on what the girl wants to eat, and its hard to say no to 105 pounds of cute.

Once you've got a healthy diet going, it just takes time to adjust to it. Soon you will CRAVE your lunch of 2 cans of tuna w/ mustard on top. Mmmmm. :drool:
I haven't been on a strict bb diet in 5 years but I still do crave that...haha...sad but true...my current gf thinks I am nuts when I whip out a can of tuna and start eating :)

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
my current gf thinks I am nuts when I whip out a can of tuna and start eating :)
There is nothing wrong with you. Your girlfriend needs to get her head checked though. Mine shares a can with me now and then.

I'd better take a cold shower now...

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by Jorvik
There is nothing wrong with you. Your girlfriend needs to get her head checked though. Mine shares a can with me now and then.

I'd better take a cold shower now...
She just wasn't around when I was in my bb phase...oh well...she thinks I am nuts for lots of reasons...that just adds to my flavour :)

Airborne

Chimp
Nov 21, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
you can only process/digest about 30 grams every 3-4 hours or so too... the rest is used as fuel or stored as fat... doesn't mean you can't eat more than 30 grams; it depends on bioavailability. you might eat 50 grams of casein or soy, but only get 40 grams into your system... something like that i think... i use whey personally after training (faster absorption, better bioavailability, and casein (slower, less efficient absorption, less likely to overdo it and store it..) later in the day

monkeywench

Chimp
Mar 26, 2003
movin' on...
Originally posted by Airborne
... i use whey personally after training (faster absorption, better bioavailability, and casein (slower, less efficient absorption, less likely to overdo it and store it..) later in the day [/QUOTTE}

I agree with you on whey protein. Plus whey contains l-glutathione, important for immune system function.

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
Hydrolyzed whey is where it is at as far as absorbing it into your body goes. I'm not 100% on the nitty-gritty of it, but hydrolized whey is much easier for your body to digest. Downside of it is that the taste is terrible. Most people can't get 520 (the finest available) down at all. Those of us who can chug anything down should give it a serious try.