Quantcast

Prototype Canyon DH Bike

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It was like : holy shit, the shock is trying to move the rear triangle and 80 pounds of linkages with all kinds of bearing drag and play. Seriously, look at Kona, Trek and others. You don't have to make a freaking single pivot bike with a linkage that complicated, Scott just seems to do it because they have no freaking clue how to design a FS bike. Similar to cannondale. Throwing **** against the wall to see what sticks. Yes, I've DHed it and other Scott bikes.

@Jm_ regarding the Gambler, did you get much time on one? the feedback I've heard has been overwhelmingly positive, but I'm interested in your opinion as it's always good to get some different views from people who have spent some good time on a bike.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
@Jm_ Freaking hilarious. Can you count? How many pivot points has for example Trek, Kona or Specialized on the rear end and how many has the Gambler? Or the Nukeproof, Madison Saracen or even the Evil Undead if you want to talk linkage driven singlepivots?

Regarding the air shock it might seem to be a sizing problem. With 241mm (Canyon!?) and 267mm (Scott) of shock length you get a gigantic air chamber which might increase the air-spring typical low midstroke support.
A lot of people are raving about the Float X2 in trail bikes. On DH-bikes? Not so much.

But companys want to sell their bikes so they eqip them with the fanciest stuff available, which at the moment is an air spring shock or in Specializeds case the Öhlins.

@HAB , in which bikes did you ride it?

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
I just love the annual "well we designed an air-shock that just feels like a coil".... then a few months later "well its not exactly like a coil we have to work out some issues..."

Also gambler doesn't seem to work with some shocks or why do they constantly have to tweak the linkage?

livanh

Chimp
Jun 17, 2011
It was like : holy shit, the shock is trying to move the rear triangle and 80 pounds of linkages with all kinds of bearing drag and play. Seriously, look at Kona, Trek and others. You don't have to make a freaking single pivot bike with a linkage that complicated, Scott just seems to do it because they have no freaking clue how to design a FS bike. Similar to cannondale. Throwing **** against the wall to see what sticks. Yes, I've DHed it and other Scott bikes.
and in todays lesson we learn to count till 4.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
and in todays lesson we learn to count till 4.
I never said it had more pivots, it's just overly complicated because it requires more material (metal, carbon, etc.) to operate that rear shock. Lots of unsprung weight, dead feeling suspension, poor sensitivity, etc. A simpler frame configuration can save weight, increase strength, and work as good or better in the suspension department IMO.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I've ridden the Float X2 on two bikes and it's an awesome shock. I wouldn't go blaming Fox for any shortcomings of frame design.
Does anyone have any concrete info about how linear it is? Old CCDB linear? I thought there no longer are frames that require a progressive shock to work well so I'm surprised people have problems with bottoming out when they run something supposedly linear and not degressive

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I just love the annual "well we designed an air-shock that just feels like a coil".... then a few months later "well its not exactly like a coil we have to work out some issues..."

Also gambler doesn't seem to work with some shocks or why do they constantly have to tweak the linkage?
As it stands the Gambler is fairly linear. Maybe they are experimenting with more progressive curves?
Which by the way Specialized is doing on all their pro bikes btw since two years.

Why not? The Gambler has now a carbon rear end and it seems as the reach got 15mm longer aswell. Look at it in the pitbit gallery on vital.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Methinks that new AL DH bike may be finding a home in my garage once they're released...supposedly Canyon Sender line is available in the states come January, assuming other countries still want to deal with us by then.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Definitely sick bike! What I find interesting is the missing (MX)link (ha!), which they got rid of at the AL version. I find that actually pretty cool as the bushings seem to be prone for developing play.
Can someone in here compare the CF and AL version on linkage? Very interested what difference it makes.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
It's supposedly more progressive too. I could see them dropping the mx link in the future on the carbon bike for weight, cost and durability reasons.
I had actually the same thoughts. Possibly in the same area as the YT Tues regarding progression as it is a comparable setup now.