Quantcast

prototype intense tires

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
lol, it's the hand holding the lighter.

and to those who think intense tires are still heavy, i've got some 24x3 gazzalodis to sell ya too.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
nice but they need to start making tubeless compatible tires. Some of there all mountain tires would be great if they went tubeless

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...hmmm... I could swear that I saw what looked like proto tires on Big House's new M6... were they?

:think:

EDIT: Seem to be 09' "Green Label" FR tires... interesteing... almost thought they were Maxxis "Ardent" tires at first...

Last edited:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I used Intense tires in 2003, I really loved the feel and traction but the 4-ply was just too heavy. I know the 2-ply has been around for a couple years, I just never bothered to buy them since 2003.

I might give them another try this summer. Mostly so I can show IH8rice how it's done; even for a fat retired from racing kind of guy. I'll be buzzed too.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
:biggrin:

I'm pretty interested myself Boogenman... Intense says that it will be using a pinch-flat resistant foam in the casing on the DH line of tires (which replaces the FRO line). I remember another company trying this approach so I hope it works out.

I still think something like a 3-ply would be perfect. 4-plys were completly bombproof and nearly impossible to pinch-flat, but added like 3.5 to 4lbs. of rotational weight to each wheel.

dhrace507

Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Mountains
: 4-plys were completly bombproof and nearly impossible to pinch-flat, but added like 3.5 to 4lbs. of rotational weight to each wheel.

The heaviest tire Intense Tire Systems ever made was the 2.7 DH four ply. It was under 3.5 pounds by itself. You must be riding your bike on just the rims and then adding tires to feel the weight difference of 7 or 8 pounds on the bike. Unless you are thinking of the 4 ply compared to other tires. If that is the case, it might add a pound each wheel depending on what you had before.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I still think something like a 3-ply would be perfect. 4-plys were completly bombproof and nearly impossible to pinch-flat, but added like 3.5 to 4lbs. of rotational weight to each wheel.
I pinched a 2.7 Intruder at Mt. Snow in a g-out after the fast section uder the lift in 2003, it put a crack and flat spot in my rim and I was still able to pin it all the way to the bottom. I didn't even know I had a flat, I just knew I f'ed some $hit up when it happened.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
intense is the story of the dh racer and the 3 killer sidewalls. One was way to heavy...one was way to light but the third was just right hopefully.
Intense tires have lugs everyone else just has knobs

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
The heaviest tire Intense Tire Systems ever made was the 2.7 DH four ply. It was under 3.5 pounds by itself. You must be riding your bike on just the rims and then adding tires to feel the weight difference of 7 or 8 pounds on the bike. Unless you are thinking of the 4 ply compared to other tires. If that is the case, it might add a pound each wheel depending on what you had before.
Negative.

The weight listings on ITS old website were inaccurate.

I have 2 4-ply 2.5" Intense FRO 909's that were 1625 to 1640g a piece. That's nearly 3.6 lbs. per tire right there. God only knows how much a 2.7 4-ply FRO actually weighed... :eek:

Whoops - yes, I needed to read what you said more carefully - what I am saying is from the standpoint of merely adding a tire to the equation - ignoring rim and tube weight - not using any other tire as a baseline for measure. Putting a 2.5" 4-ply FRO 909 on a wheel will add 3.5 - 4.lbs. of rotational mass. If you want to look at it from a "baseline" perspective - say that your avg. Maxxis Minion DHF weighs in around 1250g (difference between a 40a and a 3C compound) then you are adding nearly 1 lbs. of rotational mass to a wheel (.8 lbs.). So yes - you are correct about that - we were saying the same thing. :)

I pinched a 2.7 Intruder at Mt. Snow in a g-out after the fast section uder the lift in 2003, it put a crack and flat spot in my rim and I was still able to pin it all the way to the bottom. I didn't even know I had a flat, I just knew I f'ed some $hit up when it happened.
Damn... yeah - you can pinchflat anything if you hit something hard enough, but those 4-plys were better at resisting that than others. If you cracked the rim - nothing would have stopped a pinchflat under those kinds of circumstances.

Last edited:

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
nice but they need to start making tubeless compatible tires. Some of there all mountain tires would be great if they went tubeless
you can run them tubeless easily,their bead is pretty much perfect for tubeless. i have had great success even with their single ply tires on my dh bike.

you do need a bit of sealant, if you hate stan's for the mess, use 1.5 parts slime and one part water. doesn't dry up like stans, washes away with water and no smell. rims were 823s if you were wondering.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
you can run them tubeless easily,their bead is pretty much perfect for tubeless. i have had great success even with their single ply tires on my dh bike.

you do need a bit of sealant, if you hate stan's for the mess, use 1.5 parts slime and one part water. doesn't dry up like stans, washes away with water and no smell. rims were 823s if you were wondering.
Interesting...

I recall some riders on here talking about mounting up 4-ply FRO's tubeless. If you think about it, the super tough, super thick sidewalls lend themselves to a Downhill-specific tubeless application almost perfectly... (HINT HINT Maxxis/Michelin/Intense) :biggrin:

It would be really difficult to snakebit/pinchflat through 4-ply sidewalls when mounted up for tubeless Downhill use. The only problems were the Sticky 50a compound facilitating knob tear-off / chunking out, and that the beads from either side would want to touch one another making it difficult to pry apart and mount properly tubeless.

Last edited:

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
skc - i have set that up for people before, but i dont see the point. it still ends up as a really heavy set up. i was referring to the single ply all mountain tires. but now that the dh tires are foldable bead, its going to be better too.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
call me crazy but im most psyched about the high volume light casing all mountain tires...I have basically been asking for a 2.5 superlight tire forever...There are some options out there but this just adds a bunch more....i like the color coding to, makes it super easy if someone could teach michelin that it would be nice.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
skc - i have set that up for people before, but i dont see the point. it still ends up as a really heavy set up. i was referring to the single ply all mountain tires. but now that the dh tires are foldable bead, its going to be better too.
True - If you were running 2.5 Maxxis Minion DHF's of avg. weight with DH tubes of avg. weight you would only be saving approx. 50 to 60g of rotational weight with a tubeless 2.5" 4-ply FRO set-up (ex: I weighed two 2.5" 4-ply FRO 909's on a gram scale and they came out to an avg. of 1630g each).

I still think if a tire manufacturer out there took this idea and ran with it - the idea of using tough, thick sidewalls for UST DH applications, they would get better results. From what I've gathered over the years it's that UST DH tires always seem to pinchflat where the rim rips/tears the sidewall - then you're just back to using a tube in a fancy UST tire. That sucks. I've personally seen this happen with Maxxis and Michi UST DH rubber. The UST DH sidewalls on these tires are too thin for heavier riders to benefit (seems to be riders over 130 lbs. or 59kg) or for riders that are rough on equipment.

4-ply is pretty burly but Intense also had a rubber sidewall insert which increased casing stiffness. Not sure of the exact configuration, but that was the overall design.

I think a UST DH tire with a 3-ply casing and a rubber sidewall insert weighing in at around 1500g would be near perfect provided the sidewalls are thick/durable enough to resist rim strikes that cause sidewall tears/cuts.

Last edited: