Quantcast

Prototype Santa Cruz VPP 4x bike spotted today

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I was just out on my lunchtime ride and I happened upon a few guys who were also out riding, and I couldn't help but notice one of them was riding a Santa Cruz bike I hadn't seen before. I asked him a few questions about it, this is what he had to say. It is a short travel 4-5" approx. VP bike that might be debuted at sea otter. It has a hydroformed type front triangle a lot like the new Foes with the flames stamped into it. This bike had a design stamped into it but not flames just ribs. It had a beefy rear end and looked pretty tough. The front was red ano. and the rear was rough polished. It had a chainguide and I didn't really notice if it was front d. compatible. oops. Sorry if this is old news, but it is news to me.

draco

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Roche-STAR
its about damn time. thats all. I'd ride a blur for 4X if i could drop and stretch the top tube. and that extra option of another inch of travel would be sweet.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
It looked pretty hot and it fills the gap between the blur and VPFree nicely. If it takes a f der. I'd consider one too. anybody else got info on this bike?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
this bike looked nothing like that, it was much more beefy, although it appeared to have a similar intended use. Where the blur 4x was probably more just a modified geometry xc blur to see what VPP could bring to 4x racing, I think this bike is a very near production unit. It had laser etched logos and everything.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Maybe it's the Santa Cruz version of the Intense 5.5?

Santa Cruz told me via email that they were planning on having a full range of VPP bikes (I was wondering about a VPP Heckler replacement) but they didn't give any specific dates.

ah.......got it.
But to give them some credit, the Bullit is the only option if you think you need a affordable, six inch travel frame from a prestigious maker(oh wait, that is your point).

But the other side of the story is, for the big guys it is the perfect trail bike. My buddy, super8freerider has one and he certainly didn;t get sucked in. He just needed a frame that won't fail on him, and i'm sure a lot of the bullit owners bought it for that reason. I mena, the choice is limited for those who want a strong 6 inch frame for a good price.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
ha ha...die Bullit die!!!
He's just jealous because shopping carts and softballs don't bounce harmlessly off his bike ;)
(He also doesn't know about the wild ecstasy ladden rave parties that SC throws for Bullit owners...)

Not to mention, judging by his icon, he's been sucked in to the insidious FOX TV marketing machine...A real animation connoirsseur knows that Meatwad, Space Ghost, and/or the Captain from Sea Lab are far superior to that cliché little mutt... :D

Actually, I have been wondering when and if SC was going to replace the Superlite, Bullit, and Heckler with VPP designs...Seems like the VP Free is the obvious replacement for the Bullit while the Blur knocks off the Superlite (and now this new bike would take over for the Heckler), but the local SC dealer down here seems to think SC will never get rid of their single pivots...Just seems like a lot of unnecesary reduncancy...But I guess enough people (like me) will always prefer the simplicty of a single pivot when matched with a stable platform shock...Dunno...

Speaking of hype machines, you need to look no further than SC itself, with the advent of the VPP system...Those guys should be used as the model for effective small company marketing practices...

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Originally posted by Acadian
hummm...I've known about a 6" Blur...but not a DS bike.

guess we'll see at the Otter?
did the 6" blur you saw have a standard tubeset? I wish I would have paid more attention to the front derail. compatibility 'cause that would have helped to know if it was intended for trail use also or just 4x. They didn't verify a sea otter debut but when I asked him that he said quite posibly...

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Originally posted by jackalope
He's just jealous because shopping carts and softballs don't bounce harmlessly off his bike ;)
(He also doesn't know about the wild ecstasy ladden rave parties that SC throws for Bullit owners...)

Not to mention, judging by his icon, he's been sucked in to the insidious FOX TV marketing machine...A real animation connoirsseur knows that Meatwad, Space Ghost, and/or the Captain from Sea Lab are far superior to that cliché little mutt... :D

Actually, I have been wondering when and if SC was going to replace the Superlite, Bullit, and Heckler with VPP designs...Seems like the VP Free is the obvious replacement for the Bullit while the Blur knocks off the Superlite (and now this new bike would take over for the Heckler), but the local SC dealer down here seems to think SC will never get rid of their single pivots...Just seems like a lot of unnecesary reduncancy...But I guess enough people (like me) will always prefer the simplicty of a single pivot when matched with a stable platform shock...Dunno...

Speaking of hype machines, you need to look no further than SC itself, with the advent of the VPP system...Those guys should be used as the model for effective small company marketing practices...
I too have wondered if they will phase out the single pivot bikes, there is an arguement for both sides. I Know alot of guys who love their bullits for it's versatility, and some of my friends superlights feel more like 6" travel. And like you said with the breed of shocks, they feel even better, even the old super 8 was a sick bike when equipped with an Avy. I am mixed about the new(er) heckler but I guess it is the only choice a 5" bike from SC. I have been lusting over a VP Free ever since interbike though...Maybe they will keep the SP bikes but move full production over seas to lower cost, and manufacture all the VP bikes over here and keep them at a premium, kinda like Toyota and Lexus?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by nicklin
did asx exist in 1999? for how much?
That's how brand loyalty builds.
Of course it didn't. But what you said was "the Bullit is the only option if you think you need a affordable, six inch travel frame from a prestigious maker". Which is an incorrect statement, because the MSRP on the AS-X is the same as a Bullit.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Funny how I come across this thread today. Yesterday I meet my buddy at the local trail for an after work ride. He rides a Blur, I ride the new Heckler with a 5th Element Coil. For some reason he gets the bug up his butt that he wants to ride my bike. So we switch for the first lap. To tell you the truth I was not overly impressed with the Blur. Sure his bike was a bit lighter, I have the 5th coil and run a Mavic D3.1 in the rear of my Heckler and my components are XT/LX mix, while his are XTR/XT mix. Granted we live in FL where there are no long sustained climbs, but the terrain is rooty with short ups and downs that require some pedal hammering. The Blur really seemed to bob even slightly more than my Heckler, to be fair he has a non propedal Fox on his Blur.

The reason my buddy wanted to ride my bike is because he is considering replacing his Blur. He is tired of the squeeking that constantly comes from the multiple pivot points.

I have never spent a bunch of time on a VPP bike, maybe in the longer travel versions it really helps, but at 5" of travel to 4.5" on the Blur, I did not see the advantage.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by jackalope

actually i would be a pair of mooninites but their superior 2 dimentional nature does not allow for reproduction on the internet.

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
Jeeez. Can you say Antibullitizm ? Your going a little Krazy with all this Bullit stuff. It just the best builtt, best riding, coolest frame of all time. No biggie (you should all be on one).

Anyways, this new bike sounds perrrfect. Big surprise coming from greatest manufacturer of all time. Good thing you didn't take any pics though. The guy from Marzocchi would be all over you, like dirt on my Bullit !

Love to talk. But its 40+ degrees and sunny. The Dog is looking at me & then the door like wa wa whaaattt !

Lets see some spy shots.

:monkey:

Originally posted by Echo
Of course it didn't. But what you said was "the Bullit is the only option if you think you need a affordable, six inch travel frame from a prestigious maker". Which is an incorrect statement, because the MSRP on the AS-X is the same as a Bullit.
Bullit: 1200
Yeti: 1300+

The yeti is quite a bit heavier than the bullit with steeper geometry. There are all kinds of set-up with bullits that people throw anything between 5-inch sc forks to Monster T's, something that cannot be said of the ASX riders, who choose to use frames in a certain range, mostly due to the package that the bike comes with.

And the Bullit is simply purdy.:D

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA

The yeti is quite a bit heavier than the bullit with steeper geometry. There are all kinds of set-up with bullits that people throw anything between 5-inch sc forks to Monster T's, something that cannot be said of the ASX riders, who choose to use frames in a certain range, mostly due to the package that the bike comes with.

The Yeti is a bit heavier, not a bunch though.

But, the Yeti is sooo much prettier than the Bullit. All the little detail work, right down to the bolts is really nice.

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003

I was watching Drop In, and they had Dangerous Dan on and another guy. They both had ASX's, but on guy had a sc and Dan had a dorado.

-dAn

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR

Last year I paid $1185 for my AS-X, it was from the very first batch of the new 2003's. Go ride quickly changed thier advertised price after I pointed out that their sticker price was like $130 more than the internet's price. The build is entirely owner preference, honestly how many people buy a bike like this based upon the build kit the manufacturer offers? Most of the bullits I've seen were built from a bare frame, I've never seen another AS-X so I'm not sure on that one. I've got a super T, not a breakout.

I'm not saying that the AS-X was meant to be a bullit killer, but it certainly appears that the '02 AS-X was certainly redesigned and outsourced to tiawan to compete directly with the bullit.

Santa Cruz doesn't hype their bikes all that much, we do it for them with threads like this. You'll have to try harder though as I still have no real desire to own a VPP bike.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by oly
Finally someone who understands.... I cant wait for season 2 box set to be released..... ive just about worn out season 1.....
havent really gotten to see alot of it, it only plays once per week in a weird time slot up here. Maybe i'll hit the net up...

what was this thread about again?

Tyrolens

Chimp
Apr 2, 2004
Austria
Originally posted by punkassean
I was just out on my lunchtime ride and I happened upon a few guys who were also out riding, and I couldn't help but notice one of them was riding a Santa Cruz bike I hadn't seen before. I asked him a few questions about it, this is what he had to say. It is a short travel 4-5" approx. VP bike that might be debuted at sea otter. It has a hydroformed type front triangle a lot like the new Foes with the flames stamped into it. This bike had a design stamped into it but not flames just ribs. It had a beefy rear end and looked pretty tough. The front was red ano. and the rear was rough polished. It had a chainguide and I didn't really notice if it was front d. compatible. oops. Sorry if this is old news, but it is news to me.

Do you remember, which fork it had?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
It has been a few weeks now and I don't remember the shock it had, but I am sure you could use what ever you prefer, One thing for sure though, it is VPP and does have about 5" travel or so. I will find out more at sea otter in two weeks.

dv8cam

Monkey
Dec 8, 2003
Joe L. had one out at Kenter whoops this weekend. Kind of a tall headtube for my taste, but nice otherwise.