Quantcast

Psylo xc O1-02 BOUNCY

Moogie

Monkey
Nov 27, 2001
SEATTLE, WASHINGTON
I have a beatup trek 7000 from 2000. I am so poor i could only afford a new for after i broke my old one. The Psylo Xc is great, but it is so bouncy and reboundy i can jump worth ****. How can i change this? Oil, springs, anything else? Thanks

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I assume the rebound damping adjuster does not provide enough range for your tastes. The try a thicker weight oil. I believe they come with 5 weight so maybe some 7.5 or 10 wt will help? Check the Rock Shox web for details on how this is done. I've done SL's and Race's but not XC's

Moogie

Monkey
Nov 27, 2001
SEATTLE, WASHINGTON
ya this is what i was thinking. I think that 10 weight'l work. There is no external dampning. I dont really know how to do oil. Thanks for the comment.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
There should be a damping (not dampening) adjuster on the bottom of the right lag. It could be that the adjuster knob fell out. They do that some times. If there is no knob, look at the bolt. It should have a hole in it. Insert a 2mm (?) allen wrench in there and adjust away. I think it has about a 1/4 turn worth of adjustment so a little movement makes a big difference.

alex spencer

Chimp
Aug 5, 2001
england
the 5w oil in psylos isn't really thick enough for the damping to work too well, use 10w and you'll get a good range of ajustment, it stops them from feeling crappy too.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
5 wt in the race and sl is fine. I can put enough damping on those that they return really slow. Maybe a heavier rider with a stronger spring would find otherwise. I wouldn't think the damper in the xc would be that different.

alex spencer

Chimp
Aug 5, 2001
england
the dampers in the xc's are very very different to the ones in the sl's and the races.

in the xc's they have the old bog standard hydra coil, which was designed for 80mm judys, then the made 100mm judys which the damping had trouble coping with, then they go and stick it in a 125mm psylo xc and they just can't cope with it.

the sl's and races have the pure damper system which is a bit like TPC on manitous. the pure damper was designed for the 125mm of the psylos and therfore feels bloody good.