Quantcast

Public service announcement from Marzocchi USA

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
I was honestly TORN in my descision between a new 360 modena and the new thunderbird. I resisted the hype and went with the thunderbird.

:monkey:

Will a 3.0 tire fit my thunderbird if I have red brake calipers and my soft top is black?

:p

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Please allow me to repost my earlier summation-

And the moral of this story?

Many techies lack the tact and language skills necessary to represent their companies in a dignified manner in public forums. Stick to what you do best- designing and producing the plushest and most reliable FR/DH suspension products on the market. Leave the PR to PR professionals. Really...would you allow an Ad Exec to do your R&D?

It's even more evident now than when I first posted it. :rolleyes:

VPSDhiller

Chimp
Mar 24, 2004
Coquitlam, BC
Originally posted by Ridemonkey
I'd be happy to delete photos he deemed a problem. The problem with Bryson is that he goes out of his way to be a total ass. He'd be amazed at how far being courteous and professional would get him.
Who is lacking in professionalism? I'd say it's you airing your inside issue with Bryson.

I don't think he would have sent you that message in anticipation of you starting a big soap-opera over it.

Keep your business to yourself. If you were courteous and professional, you'd know a hell of a lot better than to do what you have already done here.

From the outside looking in, its as though you are looking for "moral support" from your faithful internet bulletin board friends to give you an e-hug for something you could have dealt with discretely and professionally on your own.

Give your head a shake pal....If they are only pictures why on earth did you bother with all this?

VPSDhiller

Chimp
Mar 24, 2004
Coquitlam, BC
Alright, I just sifted through all of the posts.

WOW. A WHOLE lot of energy in this thread!

Was it really worth it? In my opinion, no.

Maybe Bryson could have worded himself beter. Maybe RM could have not displayed their internal emails to all the board users (and you know what the intent was behind that).

Ultimately, we are talking about some leaked specs. It happens and we all live to see another day.

Ride bikes. Have fun. :cool:

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Originally posted by VPSDhiller
Who is lacking in professionalism? I'd say it's you airing your inside issue with Bryson.

I don't think he would have sent you that message in anticipation of you starting a big soap-opera over it.

Keep your business to yourself. If you were courteous and professional, you'd know a hell of a lot better than to do what you have already done here.

From the outside looking in, its as though you are looking for "moral support" from your faithful internet bulletin board friends to give you an e-hug for something you could have dealt with discretely and professionally on your own.

Give your head a shake pal....If they are only pictures why on earth did you bother with all this?
edited my rant because i see you've gone and read the thread.

btw, welcome to ridemonkey. good people run this joint.

VPSDhiller

Chimp
Mar 24, 2004
Coquitlam, BC
Originally posted by chromegoddess
edited my rant because i see you've gone and read the thread.

btw, welcome to ridemonkey. good people run this joint.
Thanks, glad to be here. I don't doubt the integrity of the people who put such an indepth site together.

;)

Everyone makes mistakes, and in this case (as I boldly stated) my opinion is that both parties could have been more professional.

Thats it for me though, I prefer to talk bikes, not argue.

Cheers!!
Corey:)

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
...(and you know what the intent was behind that). ...
that's cool you read it all and have a little different view of it now. but i'm not sure you can safely say you know what the intent was for RM's decision to post that letter. mostly i feel he did it as a simple notice to anyone who might consider posting confidential information in the future and what he might have to deal with if they did it. but i also think he knows that many of us care about who it is we are handing our hard earned money to.

VPSDhiller

Chimp
Mar 24, 2004
Coquitlam, BC
Originally posted by chromegoddess
that's cool you read it all and have a little different view of it now. but i'm not sure you can safely say you know what the intent was for RM's decision to post that letter. mostly i feel he did it as a simple notice to anyone who might consider posting confidential information in the future and what he might have to deal with if they did it. but i also think he knows that many of us care about who it is we are handing our hard earned money to.

I don't know...when you title it "Public Service Announcement" when everyone knows it was intended to be an internal email, you can't help but speculate what RM's intent was...and to then take it to the forum only strengthens that speculation (for me anyway, and I am sure there are others that would agree).

Just like Bryson is taking some heat, RM probably should too.

The situation could have been extinguished in the two scenarios:
1) the initial email was worded differently or...
2) RM played a more mature role, recognized it for what it was worth, and kept their business to themselves.

If RM made a regular habit of sharing their "inbox" on both the front page and the forum, then my point of view would be useless. But clearly they don't, and made a calculated decision to air this issue which could have been kept quiet.

Either way, there are FAR more important issues in the MTB world to be concerned with than the PR God's battle....Like trail access and races!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I don't know...when you title it "Public Service Announcement" when everyone knows it was intended to be an internal email, you can't help but speculate what RM's intent was...and to then take it to the forum only strengthens that speculation (for me anyway, and I am sure there are others that would agree).
I thought this was extremely funny! I can't help but speculate that RM was sharing this email with us so we could enjoy humor value. :)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Originally posted by Soul Rider
This is kinda like complaining about a 200mm fork designed around a 3" tire being installed on a 98 DH frame. It just shouldn't be done.

My Demo 9 sure does sit nice with this nose bleeder on the frontend.

I'm gone, have fun. We will continue to make kickass product anyways. My heart and soul has been spilled...now I must drag my sorry ass home so I can be a dick to my neighbors, kids, and...where's Bryson's # I need to give hiom a pece of my mind too...what an asshole. For those who take things literally, I'm being sarcastic.

I work for Bikemag anyways. ;) :p
now that we know you work for bike mag, then you can't be Zap or RC, so how many dickhead editors/former editors does that leave? anybody got ideas?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA

don't do things behind closed doors that you wouldn't do in the open. if the email didn't specify it was confidential then RM had a right to post it, plus Bryson did overreact, nothing personal just the truth. This whole thing would dissappear if Bryson came on and admitted he was too harsh. I truly understand his POV but there are more professional ways to handle these things. threatening legal action, c'mon. He needs to find the leak in "his" company and seal it. there nuff said, no slamming no choosing sides, just the truth. all those pics did anyway was make people stoked and start saving money, I am sure at least a few people will now reconsider investing financially in a company that behaves as such. I personally will buy whatever product is the best value/performance at that time. I ride Fox and Manitou now but I have owned Marz before and probably will again.

Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by punkassean
now that we know you work for bike mag, then you can't be Zap or RC, so how many dickhead editors/former editors does that leave? anybody got ideas?
Perhaps you missed this...

Tom Rogers
aka Soul Rider
aka Old School

He has a pretty extensive background as a racer and R&D guy... And has taught me a lot in the short time he has been here...

Brian

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Originally posted by Brian Peterson
Perhaps you missed this...

Tom Rogers
aka Soul Rider
aka Old School

He has a pretty extensive background as a racer and R&D guy... And has taught me a lot in the short time he has been here...

Brian
I had initially scanned through some of the posts and got the general impression that soul rider was being an elitist, but I had mixed up VPSDhiller and soul rider, your post prompted me to re-read more thoroughly all of the posts and I don't really detect nearly as much hostility as I thought I did. Plus I missed him posting his name and I kinda got the feeling he was pretending to work for Marz and then admitting he worked for BIKE. It seemed like he was "hiding" behind the anonymity of the internet, like we are all used to people doing. but obviously that's not the case. my bad truly.

Sep 10, 2001
Tom is the Soul Rider in the Ask Soul Rider forum at bikemag.com site.

I think a lot of people would see some of the comments in a different light now that some time has pass.... If they could stay awake long enought to reread all of this.....

Brian

J

JRB

Originally posted by soulfly
go to google.com
type in marzocchi 2005
and see a wonder. ;)
Since one site still has the tech drawings, I would say Bryson didn't get the memo out to all countries. :rolleyes:

chunky

Chimp
Apr 12, 2004
Soo'er Canduh...
Dude this is alienating a lot of customers who would buy marzocchi products like your stupid trucker hat, or shorts or those other things at the front of the bike. I was going to buy a new Monster T or Triple 8... but I think that I'll go with the Boxxers... If marzocchi is going to treat customers like this, then how is there customer service going to be? I will take this as an example of how they treat people who spend their hard earned money on expensive bike parts. Rock Shock, Fox, Manitou, have my votes now. I would rather ride a Suntour or an RST than a Marzocchi... You lost a good customer buddy...

Nov 28, 2001
GWN-ON-TO
I was going to buy a new Monster T or Triple 8... but I think that I'll go with the Boxxers...
that statement is so out to lunch i must assume you're kidding.

hmm.

monster t or boxxer. oh, what to do? what to do? they're so - uh - similar.

but at least, god be praised, rockshox has never done anything negative to their customers so i can blindly buy their products with the moral imperative that i'm supporting the 'good guys'.

oh, never mind the extreme waste of resources that cost investors around 130million.

after all, raping a publicly traded corporation to pad pockets and hire friends is a victimless crime, right?

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
Originally posted by Just Lookin'...

after all, raping a publicly traded corporation to pad pockets and hire friends is a victimless crime, right?
NO, I think that's more along the lines of "getting to the top" or "getting a piece of the pie".

huckleberry

Chimp
Jan 24, 2003
oh please. he can't take legal action. those pics aren't his. they belong to who ever took them and they can do what they want with them.

Nov 28, 2001
GWN-ON-TO
Originally posted by huckleberry
oh please. he can't take legal action. those pics aren't his. they belong to who ever took them and they can do what they want with them.
if you'd actually read this thread, instead of skimming it, you'd know that it's not about the photos of the forks, it's the scans of the confidential oem specifications book that was NOT freely accessible.

last i'd heard, scans or photo-scans of confidential, private information is not 'intellectual property' of the scanner/photographer.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
if you'd actually read this thread, instead of skimming it, you'd know that it's not about the photos of the forks, it's the scans of the confidential oem specifications book that was NOT freely accessible.

last i'd heard, scans or photo-scans of confidential, private information is not 'intellectual property' of the scanner/photographer.
Well to quote the first post of the thread: :rolleyes:
You have posted unauthorized pictures of my 2005 product line._ The pictures were taken in Taiwan, at my booth last week. _I assume you realize that they are pictures of my 2005 line and I think you realize that releasing this information too early is a disservice to Marzocchi and your subscribers. _Since specifications and product lines do change disseminating incorrect information is absolutely wrong and I will pursue any and all legal procedures I can do make sure you will not perform this unprofessional act of stupidity again.
All that confidential material information was not mentioned in the letter. Indeed the writer (who will remain nameless :rolleyes: ) pointed out it was the pics of the forks and info available in the pictures taken at the show. People responded to the letter because it should have never gone out in the form it did.

You are right posting confidential info is a no-no. It is also the reposibility of the person posting it to ultimately answer for it. RM can take the info down but he did not post the material in question. Once made aware he should have been asked to remove it, not threatened with "any and all legal proceedures" I say take away whomever posted the informations access to more info they can not be trusted. As far as threatening RM (site and admin) it was over the top and should have expected this response.

Nov 28, 2001
GWN-ON-TO
earlier i had mentioned that the email from whatshisname was stupidly done, and i think we all stick by that judgment.

but the gist of the thread was not actually (ironically) about the photos that jabber-mouth so foolishly spewed on about, but rather the OEM book.

so, you have the initial email as 'Part 1' and the subsequent clarification by others as 'Part 2'.

all of which is a big, happy bicycle industry circle-jerk.

so, yeah. let's just let this one die a natural death.

but i still posit that anyone making a decision to buy or not buy anything based on the foolishness of the 'unofficial mouthpiece' of a company as equally nit-witted.

that's like not buying a car because the company who built it has headquarters outside the USA or a bicycle frame because the company gets it welded overseas.

and it think we beat that topic to death about a dozen times.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
but the gist of the thread was not actually (ironically) about the photos that jabber-mouth so foolishly spewed on about, but rather the OEM book.

so, you have the initial email as 'Part 1' and the subsequent clarification by others as 'Part 2'.

all of which is a big, happy bicycle industry circle-jerk.

Well the thread was about the letter. All information that came afterwards are attemps to clarify an obviously offensive letter sent by the VP (I am assuming of the US division)

so, yeah. let's just let this one die a natural death.
Yeah I agree. ;)

but i still posit that anyone making a decision to buy or not buy anything based on the foolishness of the 'unofficial mouthpiece' of a company as equally nit-witted.

that's like not buying a car because the company who built it has headquarters outside the USA or a bicycle frame because the company gets it welded overseas.

and it think we beat that topic to death about a dozen times.
"Unofficial mouthpeice" let me point out this isn't some guy at the shipping docks. It is a VP. That removes any "unofficial" grace one might give whatishisname.

I think any company threatening myself or a group (like RM) liek that would/should be part of the consideration. It shouldn't be ignored. Now withthat said....I have not one bad thing to say about Brian P at Marz....heck I think a VP spot should be opening up.....(no not really) But Brian would get my vote (if I could cast one)

At least you can agree that the letter sent would make one less likely to buy a product of thiers. Not make it more desirable. It certainly didn't make me want to go out and spend money right away to keep him fed.

The original letter called out RM directly that was clear....I would have VP's whatishisname by the balls if I was Pres and got word of this.

Rhino

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Spoken like a true teenager. We need to wash your mouth out with soap kiddo. Read the entire thread. You've missed the entire disscusion and where all the mistakes were made.
The show was not public...and the link photos were scanned and posted even though they said confidential and had a NDA attached to it. (Insert clouds parting and angles singing here)

Buy what you want. Next year we might only sell 999,999 forks. If you coud see through this bunk post you might be the lucky guy that has the alarm go off annoucing you as the 1,000,000 owner of a Marzocchi suspension system. You could have had the fruit cake!
Cheers and more beers...I'm not looking for trouble. Just amazed on how long and drawn out ths discussion has become.

Now back to it gizmos!!!
I guess, let me start by saying I am not teenager. But after reading some 14 pages of this thread I need to say something. I do ride a Zoke, we also have a Manitou and RS between my bikes and my wife's. As a consumer, its hard to read a post like this, not to mention the many from Bryson, and not feel like I would rather my money go someplace else.

It was posted earlier in the thread (I'm not searching the whole thing again for it:rolleyes: ) that its stupid not to buy a product just because one person (in this case a VP) comes off like an a$$. Well, I would say, not so. Respsect is big with me, as I'm sure it is with many out there....you and Bryson have gone to great lengths to really put this consumer off. Why would I want to put my $$ into your business? Why would I want to contribute to your salary or bonuses?

Whats more, your apparent disdain for my money, or opinion, as a consumer is even more upsetting. Have you ever taken Business 101?:confused: I appreciate that my not buying a Marz product will not end your company, but to cavalierly write me off is just bad business. I did have my eye on a Z1 SL for my AC....but yes, this thread, with the comments of Bryson and yourself, has gone a long way in influencing me away from your product.

I know you don't care. I just wanted to let you know.

:monkey:

ZAW

Chimp
Feb 8, 2004
Fairfx
Alright, i AM a teenager, a freshman in highschool. I would just like to say that I, again a freshman in highschool, was schocked at the tone of the letter sent to RM. I was shocked that this letter came from the VP of a company i know well (have a dj1) and respect (and now respect quite abit less). That is all.

Soul Rider

Chimp
Mar 18, 2004
Santa Clarita, Ca.
Forgive my spelling but here goes. I am a rider just like you folks. I know Bryson. He wants nothing more than to get everyone stoked by riding thier bikes.
I work my ass off for Marzoochi customers. I try to be fair but hate to be taken advantange of, even if it's something stupid...and yes, casing a jump is stupid. That's not riding, it's trying to ride.
Honesty flys with us. It puts a smile on our faces.
So anyways, Bryson writes a letter about a legally marked confidential spec. book that should be moderated. None the less, these books are, more often than not, made before even a single piece has been fabricated. Nothing, natta. We don't want it out and appearently he was upset about it too.
Speaking for a few others at Marzoochi, we are 8 hard working technicians in the warranty tech departmant trying to service all of North America, we are less than 20 total. Out of those 8, 7 of us ride. We are the ones that fix it and ship it. It's not Bryson. We don't work with him, just for him. We work for him because we like bikes...oh, and Bomber girls
Bryson is a rider just like you folks. Showing the spec. was like showing the present early, it sucked. We present later hence creating a bit of drama to the mix of product specing. It also lets us ride a bit more while keeping the model years on the right years.
I still am having trouble understanding why companies are presenting product a full year in advance. Call it what you will. Poof it's an 06, 07...I hate to say it but it's going to become a color option within a few years(If this world lasts that long) If anybody just wanted to be able to ride his bike (other than me of course) it's Bryson. He doesn't mean to harm, but he sure can be stuburn sometimes.
From a worker at the company I can understand how he might have come across. He's agro, what can I say. I can't speek for him. But I know what he likes and doesn't like. If it's about bikes, he's in it for the right reasons.
I know that he would like nothing more than to be able to reword that letter....
Forgive me for being rash, or for even bringing it up, I am just a rider like you guys. I want my stuff to work without having to fix it too. I want to be able to climb effortlessly and descend without a care but I am just a hard working American trying to do what I love. It sure is complicated isn't it?

We are only trying to make forks that live behind thier name. :D :D

What's a guy supposed to do?:(

Originally posted by Ridemonkey
I don't have a problem with the company - and obviously they make a great product. This Bryson character has been a black eye on the company for years though. Remember that letter he sent to MBA a couple years back claiming that Marzocchi "IS" freeride and that no other company can make a decent freeride fork? Anyone have that issue of MBA anymore?
well, no, but if i remember correctly, back in 2000-2001 ish, give me one company that made a reliable, strong, plush freeride fork with good damping that is not required to have an expert mechanic with time to burn. the 1st generation psylo with short bushings, seal problems and horrible damping? the x-verts that had to be maintained every 3 weeks? the boxxer that costed 1200 bucks and still had blown seals? took other companies at least 4 years to catch up.

then look at the z1's and z3's, not to mention the monster t and super-t's pf the day. they DID define freeride. I really get ticked off when people start to deny the supramacy that marzocchi had, and still has, on what true forks are supposed to be. Everyone (or a lot of people) wanted marzocchi just to look hardcore.

and today, the very same companies who said a good, strong, ridable 4 inch single crown fork was not possible are copying marzocchi's approach and try to be the king in the scramble to be the next big thing, and we see manitou making 5, 6, now 7 inch forks just to be ahead of the 'curve'. and marzocchi gave me exactly what i needed, a 4 inch shiver sc, bucking the trend of the "long-travel' bandwagon.

no need to jump on the "let's dig up dirt on Bryson' wagon. he just had pride in the company, would he would done that if he didn't love what he did?

cut the man some slack.

crash13

Chimp
Dec 19, 2003
Lake Stevens, WA
Forgive my spelling but here goes. I am a rider just like you folks. I know Bryson. He wants nothing more than to get everyone stoked by riding thier bikes.
I work my ass off for Marzoochi customers. I try to be fair but hate to be taken advantange of, even if it's something stupid...and yes, casing a jump is stupid. That's not riding, it's trying to ride.
Honesty flys with us. It puts a smile on our faces.
So anyways, Bryson writes a letter about a legally marked confidential spec. book that should be moderated. None the less, these books are, more often than not, made before even a single piece has been fabricated. Nothing, natta. We don't want it out and appearently he was upset about it too.
Speaking for a few others at Marzoochi, we are 8 hard working technicians in the warranty tech departmant trying to service all of North America, we are less than 20 total. Out of those 8, 7 of us ride. We are the ones that fix it and ship it. It's not Bryson. We don't work with him, just for him. We work for him because we like bikes...oh, and Bomber girls
Bryson is a rider just like you folks. Showing the spec. was like showing the present early, it sucked. We present later hence creating a bit of drama to the mix of product specing. It also lets us ride a bit more while keeping the model years on the right years.
I still am having trouble understanding why companies are presenting product a full year in advance. Call it what you will. Poof it's an 06, 07...I hate to say it but it's going to become a color option within a few years(If this world lasts that long) If anybody just wanted to be able to ride his bike (other than me of course) it's Bryson. He doesn't mean to harm, but he sure can be stuburn sometimes.
From a worker at the company I can understand how he might have come across. He's agro, what can I say. I can't speek for him. But I know what he likes and doesn't like. If it's about bikes, he's in it for the right reasons.
I know that he would like nothing more than to be able to reword that letter....
Forgive me for being rash, or for even bringing it up, I am just a rider like you guys. I want my stuff to work without having to fix it too. I want to be able to climb effortlessly and descend without a care but I am just a hard working American trying to do what I love. It sure is complicated isn't it?

We are only trying to make forks that live behind thier name. :D :D

What's a guy supposed to do?:(
well as long as marzocchi keeps making a good fork i'll keep buying buying them. so far i haven't found a fork that works as well and is as reliable as marzocchi. so keep up the good work guys. and as for bryson, i'm not going to make a judgement about someone over some comment made on the internet.