Quantcast

Purple beer

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
"Purple Haze is a crisp, American style wheat beer with raspberry puree added after filtration. Therefore, you may see raspberry pulp in the beer. The raspberries provide the lager with a subtle purple coloration and haze, a fruity aroma, and a tartly sweet taste."

If it's already in the house, you might as well try it. But only to confirm what I hope you already know: Fruit has no business being in beer.

I'm sorry if she used joint funds.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
OGRipper said:
"Purple Haze is a crisp, American style wheat beer with raspberry puree added after filtration. Therefore, you may see raspberry pulp in the beer. The raspberries provide the lager with a subtle purple coloration and haze, a fruity aroma, and a tartly sweet taste."
WTF?

Run, don't walk.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
It's actually not bad, as far as wheat/fruit beers go. Kind of reminded me of Long Trail Blackberry Wheat.

OGRipper said:
Fruit has no business being in beer.
I used to feel the same way. There are actually quite a few really good beers brewed with fruit. The Albita mentioned is kind of cheating. They just dump fruit puree in after filtration, prior to force carbonation. Some of the better ones add fruit during final fermentation which not only bumps the crowd-pleaser, but gives the yeast something new to chew on which in-turn imparts unique flavors in the beer.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
berkshire_rider said:
Long Trail Blackberry wheat is actually pretty good.
Unlike this one (I assume I've never tried Long Trail). The Purple Haze is a cool novelty, but it doesn't taste good enough to warrant buying a second time. Looks good in the fridge though.

The Ito

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
ito said:
Unlike this one (I assume I've never tried Long Trail).

The Ito
Given your location, probably not. They are based out of Bridgewater, Vermont - which is a small town just East of Killington. They seem to have grown a little beyond microbrew, so they may start distributing more? :confused:

On a slightly related note, I see they have a new IPA out. :drool:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
The Sam Adams cranberry lambic is pretty good.

Hey, it comes in one of the Sam's 12 pack varities. What, am I supposed to pour the lambic down the drain or something? Mmmmm.....

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
My sisters came to visit this weekend and talked me in to brewing a batch of Blackberry Wheat beer. It doesn't look like much now, but once that foam starts to settle the beer gets transferred to a clean fermenter and I'll add 3 or 4 lbs of pureed blackberrys. :drool: