Quantcast

PUSH MX Tune/Shock ?

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
So I'm thinking of buying a Fox 3.0 on the cheap and sending to PUSH to get the MX tune, I have searched high and low for reviews and so on about these shocks but they all seem to quite old not to long after PUSH bought out the second version.

That was almost 6 years ago and I can't believe I'm not seeing are images or information about these Tunes/Shocks.

Wondering what peoples thoughts are on it and after some real world feedback if possible ?

Cheers

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I LOVED my MX tuned DHX. It was on a V10.3 and was the best feeling suspension I've ever ridden. I would slightly alter the settings for courses but kept it pretty close to the stock adjuster recommendations. My brother is still riding that frame/shock. I told them I wanted a supportive ride for pro level racing but I still would like any plushness and traction possible and it was the best combination I've ever felt. I had some of my best results on that bike and always wondered if I'd downgraded when I moved to the newer V10s and Vivid Airs.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The MX tune seemed to correct a problem that was quickly corrected. Back when you had a low speed compression adjuster and boost valve, it made total sense...but now that you can get relatively commonplace shocks with high and low speed independent adjusters, it's hard to justify springing for that vs. any of the other shocks on the market.

Of course, if you're stuck with a DHX 3, it makes perfect sense...

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I had various Fox products Pushed over the years. For the shocks, I believe it was the MX tune upgrade or whatever the top upgrade they were offering at that time.
- Vanilla RC in ~'04-'05;
- DHX 5 in ~'09;
- RP3 in '14;
- 2013 Fox34 Float in '14 - To be fair, the guy could have simply pooped in the damper and it would probably have led to a noticeable improvement. Quite confident he did more than that though (I got a bag full of internal parts back)...and the fork went from piss-poor to amazing.

I have always been extremely satisfied with the quality of the work at PUSH.

Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I don't have any experience with the MX tune, but I have plenty of experience with Push. They are good people. I'd trust them. They will make sure you are happy with their service.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The MX tune seemed to correct a problem that was quickly corrected. Back when you had a low speed compression adjuster and boost valve, it made total sense...but now that you can get relatively commonplace shocks with high and low speed independent adjusters, it's hard to justify springing for that vs. any of the other shocks on the market.

Of course, if you're stuck with a DHX 3, it makes perfect sense...
Push used the avalanche internals for a while on the MX tune, now I have an RC4 and it's nothing like the old avalanche shock I had with the same internals push was using. If you try to slow the rebound to what the avalanche had, it packs up easy, it also doesn't have as much low-speed support. It's not horrible by any means, but not in the same category as something that's tuned for your weight and riding with the proper valves, etc. OEM shocks mean to function over a 150lb range will never be as good as a custom tuned shock.

Buying an old upgradable shock and sending it to Push or Avalanche is a way to get some of the absolute best suspension possible.

Last edited:

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
Thanks so much for the info Im actually looking at getting 2 shocks made (09 IronHorse Sunday and Orange 223) the fact they know there stuff so well and custom tune the shock to the bike and rider weight is above and beyond what I can just buy off the shelf even if modern shocks do have all the bells and whistles! Thank once again.

Jan 8, 2007
Ladera Ranch
I had a Commencal 666 with an RP23. I would blow through all the travel with the correct sag set on small/medium drops/hits/mammoth/rocky Socal trails

Had it PUSH tuned for my weight and the performance was perfect and I picked up speed, traction, control