Quantcast

Pushing my Hayes Pads apart

B1105

Chimp
Dec 22, 2003
I have the HFX-9s, nothing fancy at all, but they work. Recently I found I needed to adjust the pads, and took my rear wheel out. I found the pads very close, and tried spreading the pads with a screwdriver, when first installing these brakes like a year ago, the pads spread just fine, but now they dont budge, they will spread, but come back to the original position really close together. I also cant seem to get the pads out. I try using pliers and pulling the pad's tab close to the center of the caliper and puling outward, but no luck. Any ideas? Are these brakes trashed, or do they need a bleed in order to get my pads further apart?

Byron

V

Vermont

hmmm...i have no trouble getting the pads out of mine..just grab the tab move em toward the center of caliper and pull...they pop right out. once you have them out push the caliper back in with the box end of a 10mm wrench. then put pads back in...when you have tire off if you compress the lever the pads will move in like you described and you have to push the caliper back. I wouldn't advise trying to move the pads with a screwdriver you could easily ruin them as the heat makes them dry and crumbly.
try this web site for more help
http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/pdf/45-14550BEnglishForWeb.pdf

B1105

Chimp
Dec 22, 2003
Alright, i got the pads out, but now the pistons wont really move back the whole way, any ideas?

V

Vermont

work the box end of wrench around the caliper in a circle on both sides be very careful of the metal post in middle..they should retract all the way back if you do this

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I've found that it also works to have the pads and wheel in place, then take an old plastic card of some sort(credit may be too thick) and work it into the space(or lack thereof) between the pad a caliper. Works for me :thumb:

V

Vermont

ya that works for some brakes, but it is important to note that the Hayes HFX-9 are an open system so they will adjust to width of the rotor after a few pulls on lever

Sep 10, 2001
New Zealand
I don't recommend pushing directly on the pistons.

Why?

The ceramic type material is quite brittle and chips easily. I managed to chip one of my hayes pistons in two opposite places, then during a pre-ride check that piston decided to split in two on me.

Dumped DOT fluid all over my pads and rotor it did. :confused:

So now I use a tyre lever directly on the pads and never push directly on the pistons.

The pistons not retracting sounds like it's either overfilled with fluid or has an air bubble (possibly in the reservoir). A proper bleed will help.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
Man I love my Shimano XT Hydro rear disc brake. They move back in like no other. But on the other end I have the HFX-9 Which I have to replace the pads about 3 times a year and the rotors 2 times a year. They make weird noices and somethings loose in them. Ahhhhhhhhh gotta love the Shimanos

V

Vermont

don't recommend pushing directly on the pistons.

Why?

The ceramic type material is quite brittle and chips easily. I managed to chip one of my hayes pistons in two opposite places, then during a pre-ride check that piston decided to split in two on me.

Dumped DOT fluid all over my pads and rotor it did.

So now I use a tyre lever directly on the pads and never push directly on the pistons.

The pistons not retracting sounds like it's either overfilled with fluid or has an air bubble (possibly in the reservoir). A proper bleed will help
What did you do, Hayes explicitely tells you to do this when changing pads...did you call them get a warranty? let me know i have these same calipers and i am afraid that this will happen to me and others.
thanks

SKYWAYBUZZ

Monkey
Mar 16, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA.
I've been refurbishing my Hayes Purples and when I need to push the pistons in I reach for needle nose pliers. The "side" of one tip- works good on the piston center pin.You have to be careful to apply pressure straight down on the pin or you risk bending it. Best way I've found so far!

V

Vermont

I called Hayes yesterday...they will take back your whole setup...refurbish it bleed it and send back with a one day turn around..they match your shipping on return...if you 2-day you get back in 5 days...pretty good deal i think...call em at 1-888-686-3472