Quantcast

Push's $2,600 fork is absurd

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
I don't understand the idea of shitting on someone that can afford one or the idea that if they can afford our suspension that they're automatically slow or unskilled.

It's not about exclusivity, it's about product performance and scale of business. Rock Shox and FOX are enormous OEM companies with significant resources. We are not. We are a small team of people in Colorado focused on building small-volume aftermarket performance products.

Shit on me for my decision to build a factory in Colorado using a skilled workforce, or my product decisions. Please don't shit on our customers who purchase and support our company.
most of us can afford them. I can, but i dont. Im not a poser or easily deluded. Suspension is simple really. Kyb in MX for example.
Support, blow off and no flex were it needs and compliance were it needs. Bushings that fit. Now tailor to ride discipline.
I applaud you for local manufacturing and employment.
Running huge race team and support, over the top marketing saturation is a huge cost as well for Fox, Sram.
We dont need consumerism suspension at every 3 year cycle to enjoy top level performance.
Yes it does affect entry level, because when your overweight customers buy these, the other manufacturers think ‘oh we can lift our retail a little’. Of course that happens.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Honestly don't think anyone here has the faintest idea what an entry level product even actually is. Nevermind it's price.

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
I don't understand the idea of shitting on someone that can afford one or the idea that if they can afford our suspension that they're automatically slow or unskilled.

It's not about exclusivity, it's about product performance and scale of business. Rock Shox and FOX are enormous OEM companies with significant resources. We are not. We are a small team of people in Colorado focused on building small-volume aftermarket performance products.

Shit on me for my decision to build a factory in Colorado using a skilled workforce, or my product decisions. Please don't shit on our customers who purchase and support our company.
if i was faster id take the race support offered at races. Thats more important than flash externals. Will Fox give me setup tips at the nationals with your suspension?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
My favourite thing about Fox is when they update something to do exactly the same thing as before but it now requires a hefty outlay for the new tool in order to to service it

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Honestly don't think anyone here has the faintest idea what an entry level product even actually is. Nevermind it's price.
Like the components on bikes sold complete for $100, including transport from China?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
From those components all the way upto those adorning many completes retailing at around a grand

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Totally agree with you.
But just to put some context on it the UK RRP of a BOXXER is actually £2099 (or $2700 USD at the current exchange rate. Almost makes this Push thing seem reasonable.

Except. Cycling is a fucking stupid hobby. And some of its enthusiasts actually do pay full UK RRP for stuff.
Yeah. Mental.
The UK prices over the last couple of years have become obnoxious, I LOL'd yesterday when affy said the new Atherton bike at £4800 was affordable.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
TBF It's extremely affordable when you're the mtb equivalent of a bond villain living in your own volcano

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You think theyd say that publicly? Cmon
i'm sorry but what the actual fuck are you smoking? in case you're living under a rock Fox is currently blowing out their forks for 40-60% off MSRP (including Marz product). and this is all ignoring the fact that aftermarket sales are secondary to OEM sales for them, same as RS.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
if i was faster id take the race support offered at races. Thats more important than flash externals. Will Fox give me setup tips at the nationals with your suspension?
race support is nice, but the percentage of mountain bikes that race on a regular basis is shockingly small compared to the entire mtb community.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
i'm sorry but what the actual fuck are you smoking? in case you're living under a rock Fox is currently blowing out their forks for 40-60% off MSRP (including Marz product). and this is all ignoring the fact that aftermarket sales are secondary to OEM sales for them, same as RS.
And they're still making money. I know the have to to stay in business. But...

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I never mind paying for quality or performance. It has nothing to do with my own capabilities.
I'd still love to demo this fork, or A/B test it compared to my current Ohlins RXF36 on some local trails.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
aka the kind of products that sometimes aren't even sold aftermarket.
No.
They pretty much all are. You just have no interest in knowing this. Or where to get them.
AKA exactly the sort of RM user I was talking about.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
No.
They pretty much all are. You just have no interest in knowing this. Or where to get them.
AKA exactly the sort of RM user I was talking about.
i meant online sales vs having to go through your LBS and getting something from QBP, you crusty bog man

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. I know. Hence me mention it.
You don't even seem to be aware that QBP isn't really a thing anywhere outside of your country. So why would you Capn Murcu.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah. I know. Hence me mention it.
You don't even seem to be aware that QBP isn't really a thing anywhere outside of your country. So why would you Capn Murcu.
i'm commenting on the business structure in the region where i'm located. that's not me defending how it's done, just acknowledging of how the US bike business is run.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
i'm commenting on the business structure in the region where i'm located. that's not me defending how it's done, just acknowledging of how the US bike business is run.
My original comment wasn't about business structure. It was about most of RM not really having the first clue about the bottom end of the cycle market. You included (clearly)

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I never mind paying for quality or performance. It has nothing to do with my own capabilities.
I'd still love to demo this fork, or A/B test it compared to my current Ohlins RXF36 on some local trails.
I'd love to take it for a spin as well. If for no other reason than to re-affirm that I'm shockingly undiscerning when it comes to suspension performance and any benefit this fork may offer is wasted on me.

Then again, I'm not the target demographic for this product. Carry on.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My original comment wasn't about business structure. It was about most of RM not really having the first clue about the bottom end of the cycle market. You included (clearly)
i worked in shops long enough I understand how things work, at least stateside. and long enough to realize making a career in the cycling industry wasn't for me.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
but bottom end would never seek a single aftermarket product, no? bottom end is buy the big box store bike, use until dead, be shocked that a service at a bike shop costs almost as much as the bike...right?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
but bottom end would never seek a single aftermarket product, no? bottom end is buy the big box store bike, use until dead, be shocked that a service at a bike shop costs almost as much as the bike...right?
yea. the stuff that still uses freewheel cassettes and may or may not have the fork installed correctly.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Nah. you couldn't be moar wrong really. but this is exactly what my point was.
I replace entire worn out drivetrains etc. and service quite basic bikes every week. As well as build, service and maintain current very high end bikes which have derailleurs moar expensive than that whole basic bike. (and everything inbetween) The diversity of work and people I'm able to help out or advise is a big part of why I enjoy my work so much.
My job's sort of the complete opposite to someone like Seth's.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
yea. the stuff that still uses freewheel cassettes and may or may not have the fork installed correctly.
Both of which are very easily and cheaply replaced/rectified. Can't tell if you're sneering or not at the lower end but either way I'm not really sure what your point is?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I replace entire worn out drivetrains etc. and service quite basic bikes every week. As well as build, service and maintain current very high end bikes which have derailleurs moar expensive than that whole basic bike. (and everything inbetween) The diversity of work and people I'm able to help out or advise is a big part of why I enjoy my work so much.
that's a pretty representative cross section, but that's not the case in every area. one of the shops I worked at had 2 locations. one was near my university, very suburban area. for every mountain bike or road bike that location sold, we'd sell 20 hybrids under $500. the other shop sold a ton of hybrids as well, but was also right at the edge of the "rich" part of town. sold cervelo, serotta, etc. the shop owner knew his shit and made a lot of effort to curate that part of the business to the point people would call up, ask if they had an s-works in X size and Y color, yes? ok hold it for me I'll be by tomorrow afternoon to pick it up.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Both of which are very easily and cheaply replaced/rectified. Can't tell if you're sneering or not at the lower end but either way I'm not really sure what your point is?
point is I have a far better idea of how things work in the US than you assume I do. you're starting to sound as arrogant as seth.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
wrong, we serve mostly the same people.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
point is I have a far better idea of how things work in the US than you assume I do
No doubt. But that was also part of my point. The US doesn't seem particularly representative. a quick google suggests 0.5% of americans cycle to work for instance. Here it's around 6%. And we're backwards AF for cycling infrastructure in the grand scheme of things.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
No doubt. But that was also part of my point. The US doesn't seem particularly representative. a quick google suggests 0.5% of americans cycle to work for instance. Here it's around 6%. And we're backwards AF for cycling infrastructure in the grand scheme of things.
oh our cycling infrastructure is awful. even in major cities where it makes sense and *some* infrastructure exists for it, sharing a road with cars is gambling with your life.

also, how are you trying to equate cycling commuter infrastructure with MSRP of high end MTB forks? did you have a moldy haggis?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I'm not. You mentioned "entry level"
Cheaper bikes. even mtbs are often bought by folk who want to use them to cycle to work. I wouldn't really call most of them cycle commuters and neither would they

Actually a vegan kebab earlier.

I know.... :cray:

Last edited:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Cheaper bikes. even mtbs are often bought by folk who want to use them toy cycle to work. I wouldn't really call most of them cycle commuters and neither would they

strange. thats what i mostly sell. cheaper bikes, but not bullshit. ours start at 1000chf, and i would say the average price is around 1800-2000 usually

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Cheaper bikes. even mtbs are often bought by folk who want to use them toy cycle to work. I wouldn't really call most of them cycle commuters and neither would they

you never asked how i define entry level. go take a bog nap.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I don't sell bikes at all Seth.
that side of the business doesn't sell anything under about 2k (avg around 4-5)