Quantcast

Putting an 8" Hayes rotor on a Psylo??

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I want to put an 8" rotor on my Psylo. I was looking at the Hayes site and I'm thinking that the adapter for the boxxer would work. I know for Marocchi forks, you can get a regular 6" rotor adapter and then put a Manitou 8" rotor adapter on top of that. What can I do for the Psylo?

Thanks!!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
A Boxxer mount will be too wide, although it has IS bolt spacing the offset if much farther out. You would end up with your caliper almost in your spokes. You need an IS front 8" adapter that is both IS in it's bolt spacing (vertical) as well as it's offset (horizontal) Just go down to your local shop and have them look in their Quality (QBP) catalog for the exact part#, Quality has a nice chart for Hayes fitment. They will most likely have it in stock because it is fairly common, however it will run you around $30 because the 8"er's are pricey. On the good side though, the 8" rotors only cost around $5 more than a 6".

Sean

balfa-dude

Chimp
Feb 24, 2002
Montreal, PQ
Originally posted by www.njbikes.com
:think: when we got our santa cruz bullit build up kits at www.planetbikenj.com with the psylo tullio we tried everything to get a 8in rotor up front it just doesn't work or we weren't about to ghetto rig it to do so:p
I have an 8" rotor on my Tullio Psylo XC. I used an IS to 74mm 6" Hayes adapter, then bolted an Xvert 8" adapter to that. It works very well. 20mm Adapters are much too thick as was posted above.

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
yea its a newer adaptor. It wasnt out last year when that Bullit with the psylo was built. But now it is available and it can be used on forks with quick releases but its not reccomended and it will void most warrantees (sp?)

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
I think the whole warranty issue was raised before they made an appropriate adapter. It required people to grind the IS to 8" adapter for it to work on a QR fork.

An 8" rotor puts a LOWER maximum force into the caliper than a 6" rotor. The adapter might have some leverage on the fork mount, but not enough to take peak load above what it would be with a 6" rotor.

Take a look at the disc mounts on Marzocchi forks. They are exactly the same between the QR.20 forks (considered 20mm thru-axle forks to Hayes and Marzocchi, so they use the wider adapter) and the quick release forks.

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
From what I understand, the issue was not with fitment but with the uneven amount of torque an 8" rotor put on one side of a q/r wheel. The problem is that the smaller axle allows a side to side twisting of the front wheel in the dropouts. I had a Psylo with the proper adapter and an 8" rotor mounted and the wheel flop in corners under braking got a lot worse than with a 6" rotor. I would only run an 8" with the Tullio psylos.

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Running an 8" rotor on the jr. T shouldn't be a problem due to the extra stiffness afforded by the triple clamp. I would still be hesitant to run one on a q/r Psylo especially if it's set up in the longer travel config. I have heard of people cracking the lower leg from the extra leverage on the disc tabs.