Quantcast

QR vs. thru bolt rear hub, AM use ?

s_park

Chimp
Jan 5, 2010
Currently on a QR rear hub. For tail / AM use is there a noticable difference running a thru bolt / bolt on hub ? Thanks.

MCHardmanUK

Chimp
Aug 4, 2009
For me only bolt up will do as anything else I don't trust, even on my AM bike.

Feels more sturdy when doing up the bolt on the rear wheel and the same goes for the front even if its an xc/am bike I need a bolt through wheel for piece of mind and its hardly a massive weight gain.

Feb 17, 2009
I dont know if your looking for a new frame or a hub but hadley has a nice rear hub that they sell with a bolt on thru axle (in the hub a thru axle anyway)that bolts onto any normal quick release frame, 10 mm will fit pretty much any frame made for a normal quick release hub. Im a clydesdale at 250 and i think it stiffens my rear a good bit more than a quick release but fits my frame so i like it . plus if you commute with your bike when you lock it up anywhere nobody can steal you wheels as you need a allen wrench too remove them. thats my 2 cents

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Stupid question: can you put a bolt on hub on dropouts that are presently used with a quick release axle (135mm) ??

Would love to use the bolt on option but I'm afraid it might not fit.

dhmatt

Chimp
Feb 17, 2008
New Hampshire
Stupid question: can you put a bolt on hub on dropouts that are presently used with a quick release axle (135mm) ??

Would love to use the bolt on option but I'm afraid it might not fit.
Yes, that will work I use a bolt on with my Blur 4x. I have the outlaws on the bike so all I had to do was get the step down rear axle 12mm-10mm and, it works great.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Yes, that will work I use a bolt on with my Blur 4x. I have the outlaws on the bike so all I had to do was get the step down rear axle 12mm-10mm and, it works great.
So technically, this would not fit over a standard 135mm quick release dropout? Sorry for the confusion!

And this CK hub with are called "fun bolts" would fit right?

Last edited:

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
The Hope will fit. See the dh.section for my explination. Any 10mmx135mm thru axle hub with a Hadley bolt thru axle will fit qr dropouts. it is made for qr dropouts. Any 12mmx135mm thru axle will fit with a stepdown axle such as the one from Azonic or Atomlab. Example I use the Hope bolt thru with Hadley axle on my Double, DT/HUGI FR bolt thru with Hadley axle on my Demo7 and SXT. I use Atomlab Pimplite hub 12mmx135mm with atomlab reducer axle on my Commencal Absolut 4x all ar qr dropouts.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I run a Hadley with bolts. I don't notice any increased stiffness over QR bikes, but I'm not terribly well attuned to that sort of thing. It does mean, however, that I have to always be sure to carry around a pretty large hex wrench on all my rides; the bolts have come loose a few times.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I run a Hadley with bolts. I don't notice any increased stiffness over QR bikes, but I'm not terribly well attuned to that sort of thing. It does mean, however, that I have to always be sure to carry around a pretty large hex wrench on all my rides; the bolts have come loose a few times.
Totally different hub. You have a bolt-on. That's different then the thru axle hub with a separate axle that that fits the qr dropouts.
I have been running that axle for 4 yrs for heavy dh,fr,dj, and am it has never come lose. I do check it before each day of riding but I go over everything especially on my dh bike